Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How simple is HPTuners?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How simple is HPTuners?

my buddy and i are looking to split the cost of HPTuners but my question is, exactly how easy it the software to use? i have never done anything tuning related and don't know many of the acronyms you guys speak of in this forum. what do you guys think, should i give it a shot and try to learn or should i leave it to a tuner? i'd like to have my own software when i plan on switching cams and such. thans guys

Jacob
Old 03-24-2007, 11:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they have a free download trial version, get it and practice, practice, practice. Search and learn about the tables and what they do, when they are being used, why they are being used etc. The better understanding you have to start with the easier it'll be to learn it.

It's not simple though, it's very complex and can tear some **** up in a hurry if not careful. Some tables will never be changed, other tables will get repeatedly changed. Not trying to discourage you, but I just want you to know what you are looking at getting into.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

it's not simple, but so long as you read the help file, and are willing to spend time searching here, on their site, and ask questions, it's not hard to understand

HP Tuners doesn't offer a trial version at present, but a trial version doesn't really help that much IMHO ... you can't practice with it since you don't have the hardware to flash your PCM and see how it reacts

Big thing is you have to be willing to search and ask questions, also a basic understanding of the sensors used for EFI vehicles is very helpful and reduces the learning curve alot (there are books available that help a little... but big things are understand how a MAF works in measuring airflow, understand a MAP sensor, understand how temperature affects air (hotter temp, less useable "air" for combustion and higher intake charge temp), understand that stock O2 (narrowband) sensors are only accurate at stoich (14.7:1 for gasoline), there are others like TPS , Throttle Position Sensor but the basic things you should be familiar with are the MAF, MAP, and O2 sensors

regarding acronyms, I know HPT has a thread in one of the sections that lists many of the acronyms (it's a sticky)
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...hlight=acronym
also here on tech:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=acronym
Hardest part of tuning is getting big cams to idle IMHO ... and HPTs Real Time Tuning makes that really easy

Also remember to make small changes and a one or two max at a time ... if you make large changes it could cause more problems, and if you change 20 tables, there's no way to track which changes helped....

My thought on tuning is... if you're willing to LEARN get your own tuner software... but if you aren't willing to search and read... then best bet is a reputable tuner

edit: also if you want to tune WOT (wide open throttle) a wideband O2 sensor is a must (stock are narrowband, only accurate at stoich which on gasoline vehicles is 14.7:1 (pure gasoline, E-10 is about 14.63) whereas wideband can measure actual Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) , wideband is a must IMHO for self tuning ... that being said, if you're looking at HP Tuners, you want the Pro version not the Standard)

Last edited by horist; 03-25-2007 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino79
If they have a free download trial version, get it and practice, practice, practice. ....

You can't practice without an interface. What are you gonna practice, clicking or typing numbers?

Seriously though, the question was "Is HPTuners easy to use"... Yes, HPTuners is easy to use. Is tuning easy? That's a different question. A calculator is easy to use, but is calculus easy?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

All computer programs are easy. It's just a bunch of 1's and 0's, right?
Old 03-25-2007, 07:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jake heres an acroynm list

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9552

If you ever want me to go over the program for you, you know where I live.

lata
Bill
Old 03-25-2007, 07:53 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's so easy a caveman can do it.lol

Actually it's quite user friendly. Read and get a feel for what does what and only make one change at a time and you'll have it down in a very short time. I also keep a log book with notes and tips that I find helpful.

Good luck!!
Old 03-25-2007, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Why the pro version over the standard?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01tam6
Why the pro version over the standard?
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2924

ease of w/b hookup

standalone datalogging
Old 03-25-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by horist
Hardest part of tuning is getting big cams to idle IMHO ... and HPTs Real Time Tuning makes that really easy
i didn't know HPtuners had real time tuning, thats a plus. and i do know most of the tuning acronyms and such. i figured i'd be uploading someone else's bin with a close setup to mine and be fine tuning to my wants from there. it doesn't sound hard but then again, everything sounds easy on paper.

and Bill- i appreciate your offer. i just hate to bother you cause i know you're a busy man. but to be absolutely honest, i was keeping you in the back of my mind as a just-in-case if i got myself way in over my head

so i have the time, and i'm willing to try, i think i'm gonna go for it. thanks guys
Old 03-26-2007, 07:14 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frost
You can't practice without an interface. What are you gonna practice, clicking or typing numbers?

Seriously though, the question was "Is HPTuners easy to use"... Yes, HPTuners is easy to use. Is tuning easy? That's a different question. A calculator is easy to use, but is calculus easy?
Actually you can practice.....you can checkout some of the blending and filling features as well as using the scan tool to highlight the active cells in the tune tool. You can learn how to copy complete segments from say a 6.0l truck to an f-body, or a 4l80e's trans segment to an f-body or vette. You can practice on configuring display units wether it be metric, or imperial. You could learn how to compare two calibration files and show difference in % without having to toggle between two tunes. There are logs already in the download, and you can learn more about how to navigate and setup the right PID's and gauges also. There are several things you can "practice" with, you just can't save or reflash. Thats why I like the idea of a free download, you can see what you are spending your $$$ on and somwhat familiarize yourself with the controls and features beforehand so your not so overwhelmed when you do buy the package.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rhino79
Actually you can practice.....you can checkout some of the blending and filling features as well as using the scan tool to highlight the active cells in the tune tool. You can learn how to copy complete segments from say a 6.0l truck to an f-body, or a 4l80e's trans segment to an f-body or vette. You can practice on configuring display units wether it be metric, or imperial. You could learn how to compare two calibration files and show difference in % without having to toggle between two tunes. There are logs already in the download, and you can learn more about how to navigate and setup the right PID's and gauges also. There are several things you can "practice" with, you just can't save or reflash. Thats why I like the idea of a free download, you can see what you are spending your $$$ on and somwhat familiarize yourself with the controls and features beforehand so your not so overwhelmed when you do buy the package.
I agree, especially if you are reading info or online tutorials on the net you can get a stock tune downloaded and you can follow the steps along with the instructions. That way you can familiarize yourself with the different areas of the program. The program can be a bit overwhelming initially due to the level of control you have this would make it a bit less intimidating. My .02
Old 03-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Staging Lane

It IS overwhelming. I was totally lost. Read everything I could and nothing clicked till I just bit the bullet and bought it. It all makes a LOT more sense when you read something and then have the software in front of you to try out what you just read. That being said, I have had hptuners for several weeks now and am just scratching the surface of what you can do with it. If you have the time and desire, I say buy it. If nothing else you will learn a ton.

Also, having a buddy that knows tuning can be a huge asset. Just be sure to not bug him with every little question. Search here and you can usually find an answer. But if not, having someone local to help when you stumped is a great thing.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RMR JAM
Also, having a buddy that knows tuning can be a huge asset. Just be sure to not bug him with every little question. Search here and you can usually find an answer. But if not, having someone local to help when you stumped is a great thing.

That's the nice thing about ls1tech just by signing up and posting... you get thousands of buddies but if you ask a question without researching it first... you end up with like 2 buddies heh

Stickies are a good thing... if ANYONE has any suggestions for the stickies I Invite them to PM me... (I still need to add the ls1 edit definition thread)

This is especially for newbs to tuning... things I and other stake for granted may be common newb issues... and we need to capture them
Old 03-30-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

That's the nice thing about ls1tech just by signing up and posting... you get thousands of buddies but if you ask a question without researching it first... you end up with like 2 buddies heh

Stickies are a good thing... if ANYONE has any suggestions for the stickies I Invite them to PM me... (I still need to add the ls1 edit definition thread)

This is especially for newbs to tuning... things I and other stake for granted may be common newb issues... and we need to capture them
LOL @ the no search 2 buddy comment.

Read all the stickies and do a lot of searching and you will find TONS of good tuning info in this forum, some of the guys in here really know their ****.

Yeah you better add my table defined thread to the sticky, NOW!!!! J/K
Old 03-30-2007, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

HP Tuners is a very powerful program and not simple to use, however, it is not so complex that a novice can’t figure it out after some reading. My advice to you is if your serious about getting the software then start reading how to use it before you have it in hand, the stickys on here is a great place to start and so is the forum on HP Tuners site. Just don’t jump into trying to tune your car, you have the potential to do some real damage.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bandit LS1
HP Tuners is a very powerful program and not simple to use, however, it is not so complex that a novice can’t figure it out after some reading. My advice to you is if your serious about getting the software then start reading how to use it before you have it in hand, the stickys on here is a great place to start and so is the forum on HP Tuners site. Just don’t jump into trying to tune your car, you have the potential to do some real damage.
I disagree. Get the software and then learn how to use it. Just read your PCM and save the file, then make a copy of it so you have one to mess around with and you still have the original file untouched. It is good to just mess around with it to get the hang of where everything is.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

HPTuners FTW..............best investment i ever made. My friend has gotten the hang of it, but im still learning alot. Watching him tune has taught me soso much about it, and also use their website as a learning tool. There are so many intelligent people out there that no matter what your question is there is someone or some people that will have an answer for oyu and will be able to guide you.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

PMd you with a couple
Old 03-30-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bandit LS1
this was the post i was hoping to hear. my plan is to upload a bin of someone with a similar cam to use as a base tune and as i become better, i could fine tune it.

Quick Reply: How simple is HPTuners?