Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about OBDII inspection and Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about OBDII inspection and Tuning

Well I brought the car in ('00 SS) to get inspected yesterday, and they wouldn't even try because my SES light is on. I scanned it with an actron and it came up as a p1416 code, which is part of the a.i.r. system. Cheap part, easy fix..I'll do it this weekend.

My question is, after I get the car to pass inspection, I plan on removing the EGR, and installing an LS6 intake, headers and ORY, ported throttle body, and a few other odds and ends. On the New York inspection, you can't pass a year 2000 car with any more than one of the computer monitors off (you know the 6 or so monitors that are part of the OBDII system). When the cats and EGR are tuned out, will I be able to pass inspection? I'm worried that there will be more than one monitor turned off, and will never turn on during a normal driving cycle...if that's even how the tuning works.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Granted, the Texas Inspection is not as tough as NY, I have the AIR/EGR codes still enabled and I pass the OBDII Inspection. I have the various codes set to 3-No Error Reported. Leave the SES Enable checked and you should not have any problems. Just make sure you get all of the codes since there are several for AIR/EGR
Old 05-24-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Great info..just to make sure I know what you mean, I'll tell my tuner to set all of the AIR/EGR codes to no error reported (3), and leave the SES check enabled? Sounds pretty easy. I have O2 sims also.. So I'll be good if I do all of this? The NY test is a bitch!
Old 05-25-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

bump..
Old 05-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Have a look at my post not too far below this. Then do a search on readiness tests, and that should solve it.

Also, read this thread and the DTCs provided by ZL1Killa.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...eadiness+tests
Old 05-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Here's my thread. This will get you through any OBDII emissions.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/718938-tuning-readiness.html
Old 05-25-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in NY too, here is how I understand it.

If the SES light is on, you'll fail, period. Thats why your garage didnt even bother trying.

When you go in to tune your faults, dont turn off the check, instead set the fault to 'not set the SES light'. This way, the scan wont show ANY codes turned off.

So if I were you, I'd simply go in and change the AIR and EGR codes, and not bother fixing them, unless you really want to.

As for turning the code off for your cats, you'll pass the ODBII scan, but fail the visual if you've removed them.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

I knew there had to be a way to do it, or everyone wouldn't even try to mod these cars. Thanks again for the info..this is why I love ls1tech.