Sponsored by:

thinking of buying a handheld

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of buying a handheld

I'm stuck between Vinci and Diablo

I'm new to the whole tuning thing but have a general idea after reading the stickys. my questions is, which in everyones opinion is the easiest to use for the 1st timer and or has the most beneficial features?

I have the mods n my sig, stock internals

thanks for your info, I really enjoy the feedback
Old 07-17-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought a Predator several years ago. Now using HPTuners. No comparison for the money. HPTuners is more difficult to learn--because it is so much more capable. Bottom line, if you are just doing minor things like gear ratios, get the handheld. If you plan to add a cam, get something more powerful (not plugging HPTuners, just what I'm using).
Old 07-17-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a Predator in 2002, then I bought EFILive in 2003.

Predator sits forgotten at the bottom of my closet (I won't even sell it to anyone)...
EFILive gets used everyday (log twice/day, flash once/week)...

Much more capable, but harder to learn... but like anything, it's learnable... is a priceless learning experience;
puts you in control of your tune, and gives you DIY satisfaction.

It's up to you how far you want to go, and how deep you want to learn.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

My predator is great for my application. All I needed to do though was turn off torque management/ change fan speeds/ slight fuel curve adjustments. It is really easy to use, with the onscreen directions it is almost impossible to screw up. My only complaint is that it doesnt let you monitor your oil pressure (my gauge is messed up)
Old 07-17-2007, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
I bought a Predator several years ago. Now using HPTuners. No comparison for the money. HPTuners is more difficult to learn--because it is so much more capable. Bottom line, if you are just doing minor things like gear ratios, get the handheld. If you plan to add a cam, get something more powerful (not plugging HPTuners, just what I'm using).

same thing for me, i bought a predator years ago, and i am now using HP tuners. i havent done any tuning yet, but the Scanning software alone from HP tuners puts the predator to shame. for ~$150 more, and if you already have a laptop, you can do 100x more things with HP tuners that you can do with any handheld
Old 07-17-2007, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Also using HPTuners and love it. But if you want to go handheld, I had a predator and I can say they have excellent customer service. Added note, don't get a SLP Predator. (They don't do everything a regular Predator does) Just my $.02
Old 07-17-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a few SCT programmers in stock custom tuned to your exact specs, Or we also have Efilive V1 cables on sale that come with a free starter tune and you can tweek the rest. If you call us i can walk you thru several options.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Another predator user here to EFI Live guy here. Wish I would have skipped the Predator, don't get me wrong it worked for what I wanted to do, but I eneded up with EFI Live as I wanted more and more each change.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

ok, thanks for the info guys this helps alot, sounds like hptuners is the $hit