Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the SLP MAF a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is the SLP MAF a bad idea?

I took it off because I read in many threads here that they were bad but I had mine on for about 4 months with no problems. I actually think it ran and idled smoother. So if anyone could fill me in on what the specific problems with them are please let me know that way I can forget about putting it back on. Thanks for any info you can give me. I tried the search here and in the external engine section but it does not seem to work.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Launching!

I have had an SLP mass air on two different TA's. In fours years of using the SLP MAF I had zero problems. It is more of I know someone, who knew someone, that heard of a problem. Gotta love the internet. Just keep it on and forget about it. And for all the people that say your gonna run lean. On the dyno I was a lean 12.5 across the board.

Last edited by WS6RED2002TA; 08-09-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

Have an SLP unit. When I have it turned on, it seems fine to me.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, it's going back in tomorrow. Just needed to hear that someone other than me had no problems while using it.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Because the voices on the internet said so, it must be so. A lot of people say many things that aren't true.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one. I didn't notice a difference but I don't have a hardcore all ***** motor. I didn't think it was worth the cash. That is probably why alot of people don't promote them.

But, then again alot of people say the MSD coils don't do anything.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:23 AM
Launching!

I swapped to the SLP cause my MAF went bad. I didnt want a used MAF and figged why not. I have zero issues on my '02 A4
Old 08-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

They are fine for a totally stock or lightly modded (bolt on) type car. The problem will emerge when you dive deeper into modding and want to maintain tight fueling, Comanded Vs. Actual.

SLP et al, figured out in the begining when software support of our pcms was scant that the stock fueling calibration on the Fbody is very fat.

They added a resistor to lean out the mixture and made a fortune selling these 85mm truck mafs.

If you are just starting out if you can find a nice used piece go for it. Full retail is absurd. When you get along further with modding just remove (or have somebody desolder) the resistor and tune your car properly.

No myth, it really does lean things out. That's why people do get a quantifiable STP, power, track time increase off of these things.

The only problem I have with them is the price.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Doc
They are fine for a totally stock or lightly modded (bolt on) type car. The problem will emerge when you dive deeper into modding and want to maintain tight fueling, Comanded Vs. Actual.

SLP et al, figured out in the begining when software support of our pcms was scant that the stock fueling calibration on the Fbody is very fat.

They added a resistor to lean out the mixture and made a fortune selling these 85mm truck mafs.

If you are just starting out if you can find a nice used piece go for it. Full retail is absurd. When you get along further with modding just remove (or have somebody desolder) the resistor and tune your car properly.

No myth, it really does lean things out. That's why people do get a quantifiable STP, power, track time increase off of these things.

The only problem I have with them is the price.
what he said i removed my resistor on my slp MAF and it fattened right up according to my wide band ,i dont use it anymore because i run in SD.Never had a problem though had it for six years maybe.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

I purchased mine almost a year ago when I got the SLP CAI, lid, bellow and MAF. If I would have known better I would have left out the MAF. A month later I bought the MAC midlength headers catted y and cat back. Never had problems with it, but I started seeing all these threads talking about how bad they were so I took it off just in case and reinstalled the original while I could figure out if they were really that bad. I put the SLP MAF back on today, spent the money already might as well use it. I think it looks better with it then with the original too even though I had polished the original.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

My LSP MAF Caused me to ping with a Ram-air intake, lid, and cat-back. I just tuned for it and now I'm just fine. Taking out the resistor will fatten you back up but will throw you onto a different timing table. Taking the resistor out, the MAF will report more air and reduce timing and putting the resistor back in will report less air and increase timing if I remember correctly.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cruz28
I purchased mine almost a year ago when I got the SLP CAI, lid, bellow and MAF. If I would have known better I would have left out the MAF. A month later I bought the MAC midlength headers catted y and cat back. Never had problems with it, but I started seeing all these threads talking about how bad they were so I took it off just in case and reinstalled the original while I could figure out if they were really that bad. I put the SLP MAF back on today, spent the money already might as well use it. I think it looks better with it then with the original too even though I had polished the original.
I'll buy your stock MAF if you are selling
Old 08-11-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took the resistor out of mine too. Now it's fine...
Old 08-11-2007, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

I'm taking it for a tune in the next couple of months, I think it's running rich even with the stock MAF. East Side Performance seems to be my best bet, I have to call them to see how much they charge so I can put the money together. In reply to patricksd I'm not selling it yet but if I do later, and you don't have one by then, you will be the first to know.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

I've got this SLP MAF... should I be taking this resistor out before I get my tune at GForce next week?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
I've got this SLP MAF... should I be taking this resistor out before I get my tune at GForce next week?
I would reccomend it yes
Old 08-11-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why is the SLP MAF a bad idea?
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the SLP MAF should only be used on a stock tuned car..
Old 08-12-2007, 01:16 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by John02Hawk
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the SLP MAF should only be used on a stock tuned car..

that sounds about *** backwards. If its tuned it would be better then just slaping it on there.

just a dumb qustiong if SLP works with GM And sells all these parts why would it be bad to use one?

I think you guys listen to the rumors to much/
Old 08-12-2007, 01:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine for over two years without any problems.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you guys are looking for more power, don't look at swapping the stock MAF to an 85mm MAF for more power. The only reason I can see to swap the stock one is if you want to run an MAF, have a FAST 90/90, and are making over 550RWHP. It's Not worth the money IMHO. If you already have one and want to run a MAF then just throw it on and tune for it..