Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband install...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wideband install...

I have a PLX setup on its way and I am wondering how to hook it up to my egr so i dont have to upgrade my hptuner module.

my car is an 02 Z28, the EGR did not come on the car, but I assume the pin still exists on the PCM blades.

How do I hook up my PLX SM-AFR so I can get my wideband signal so i can log it in hptuners. also isnt there some kins of special pid you have to create with an equation or something so you dont see volts and see afr ratio instead???

i have done so many searches and the only thing i find is hooking it up to a car that comes with egr setup and mine doesnt have it.

also if i go the route of replacing a stock o2 narrowband sensor with the WB what all do i have to do to the wiring to get it to work all out??
Old 01-19-2008, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

I use a PLX with EFILive, for power and ground, I used the two wires from one of my cig lighters. If you wish for a small pic detailing my wiring, just ask. But instead of tying the PLX into the stock narrowband spot, why not add a bung right behind the front O2's, driver or passanger.

As far as being able to log it, I think the PLX has a single wire for outputting. You might be able to wire that into the EGR pin, though I don't recall which one is it. There is also a ground that could be used with the output as well, I don't know if it is needed. Within HPTuners, you should be able to log the EGR pid and get 0-5v from the wideband. You then create a calculated PID based of that voltage to convert to AFR. The formula might be in the PLX paperwork but I can look it up on my EFILive as well. Sorry if this is a little hard to understand but ill make a quick pic of the wiring.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

sure if you got pic to help out it would be appreciated.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been told by a local tuner that the EGR in '98-'00 cars can be wired up and tables set up to log AFR with HP Tuners standard. '01-'02 cars had no EGR provisions so a nogo without HP Tuners enhanced version.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Chris, from looking at the PDF at this link:
http://download2.efilive.com/Tutoria...20Tutorial.pdf

It looks like you wire your widebands signal wire to the Blue connector pin 55, and then enable EGR. Once EGR is enabled, you can then create a formula off of the EGR position PID. I seem to remember reading that there won't be a pin at that position in the harness, since it isn't part of the '01 and '02 wiring harness. If that's the case, give me a call. I'm sure I have a pin that will fit in there.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

hey mike whats up, I will need a couple pins from ya then, I guess i need to run the ground as well for the WB???
Old 03-11-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisV 02 - Z28
hey mike whats up, I will need a couple pins from ya then, I guess i need to run the ground as well for the WB???

Curious if you got this figured and wired up on your car?
I am considering doing the same thing.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...&highlight=plx
Old 04-19-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

The cigarette lighters in my car have constant power, meaning the PLX will always be powered on. My car sits a few days at a time, wonder if my battery will die leaving the unit constantly powered or if this is even a good idea for the unit to continually be powered up?
Old 04-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Teching In

If you are interested in logging WB output throught the stock narrowband O2 PCM input, you will have to build yourself a voltage divider circuit out of a few resistors. This is to scale the 0-5v WB output down to the 0-1v range used by the narrowband O2 PCM input.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by maxgee
The cigarette lighters in my car have constant power, meaning the PLX will always be powered on. My car sits a few days at a time, wonder if my battery will die leaving the unit constantly powered or if this is even a good idea for the unit to continually be powered up?
I don't think that this is a good idea. The WB O2 has a heater circuit, which may draw more current than you expect (especially with no hot exhaust present!)
Old 04-22-2008, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got mine installed and working..hooked my power wire to the radio.