PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble code: P1502 - Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trouble code: P1502 - Any thoughts?

Friday night i took my buddy for a ride in my car.... we came back, & backed the car in the garage and shut it off... then on saturday night, i got in the car, tried to start it, and it won't even try... I didn't touch the car since I took him for a ride...

I checked the DTC's with HP Tuners and its throwing code "P1502 - Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Not Recieved" ...

Anyone have thoughts or know what causes this? I tried my other key, and no luck...

My only thought was to tune out that DTC and have the car ignore it, but i don't wanna do that if its going to cause any other problems...

Possibly related to the headlight issue i posted about the other day??... I havent fixed that yet, but atleast i know how to fix it now! https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/860271-electronics-flipping-out.html

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:59 AM
FormerVendor

Sounds like the wires in your ignition cylinder that complete the key resistor system are broken, you can't tune this out, even turning off VATS will not fix it.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Eurospec2
Sounds like the wires in your ignition cylinder that complete the key resistor system are broken, you can't tune this out, even turning off VATS will not fix it.
How do i trouble shoot this to verify that that is the problem or exhaust this from being the problem??

Electrical and wiring is one place i'm lost
Old 02-11-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just clean your key real good first on those metal contacts. and try it again. If that dont fix it then you probably just have a broken wire in the key cly that has a bad contact. You can just take the car to a remote car starter installation center and they can bypass the BCM module INPUT with a resister set accross the 2 wires. Then you dont need to tear the steering column apart.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wait4me
Just clean your key real good first on those metal contacts. and try it again. If that dont fix it then you probably just have a broken wire in the key cly that has a bad contact. You can just take the car to a remote car starter installation center and they can bypass the BCM module INPUT with a resister set accross the 2 wires. Then you dont need to tear the steering column apart.
its gonna be hard to take the car somewhere if i can't start it!!! LOL, i'm kidding... Thanks for the input! I'll see what i can do on this idea... Might be able to get someone to come to me...

Any other suggestions or thoughts out there?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I thumbed through my '01 helms and couldn't find P1502? Went to obdii.com and plugged it in and the description is correct, but lists it for the V-Body only? Maybe I'm missing something. Anyway, I'd measure the resistance on the key pelet then unplug the connector under the dash and see if the resistance value is the same to see if a wire in the cyl is broken. http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg
Old 02-11-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

Well, i just remember that being the exact description it gives... I didnt have time to hook up my laptop this morning before work, so I didnt get the exact code #... when i went to the OBDII site and searched for the description that i remembered it reading out, that's the code that it showed, so i just assumed it was the same code.... maybe its a different code, but that's the exact description that the computer gave me...

my bad...... :-/
Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Probably P1626.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Probably P1626.
is it pretty much the same thing? Do i want to follow the same diagram you posted above still?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah it's pretty much the same thing, just guessing on the code though - could be something else. P1626 is theft deterrent fuel enable signal lost. You can still use that diagram to check the key cyl.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah it's pretty much the same thing, just guessing on the code though - could be something else. P1626 is theft deterrent fuel enable signal lost. You can still use that diagram to check the key cyl.
I guess i'm confused on one thing... If the cylinder is bad, the signal won't be flowing through the key correctly (or at all i guess), and then i won't be getting any resistance right? (maybe infinite resistance?)
Old 02-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyway, I'd measure the resistance on the key pelet then unplug the connector under the dash and see if the resistance value is the same to see if a wire in the cyl is broken. http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg
Thats the bes t info yet. Without having a PASS/VATS interrogator, this is the best way to diag the tumbler circuit.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not sure on what the exact reading will be if one wire is broken, one or both wires just barely touching something, etc. The way I understand it the BCM is looking for the "nomimal" resistance of the key pellet - so if you check it on the cyl side of the connector and it doesn't match that means the problem is between that side of the connector and the key.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

Not sure on what the exact reading will be if one wire is broken, one or both wires just barely touching something, etc. The way I understand it the BCM is looking for the "nomimal" resistance of the key pellet - so if you check it on the cyl side of the connector and it doesn't match that means the problem is between that side of the connector and the key.
PM sent

Quick Reply: Trouble code: P1502 - Any thoughts?