Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation E85

I had my z programed and at the same time he made it flex fuel ready... is using it a good or a bad thing... 2002 Z28 with 38,000 miles..
Old 03-13-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you sure about that? What size are your injectors? Do you have a standard aluminum tank?

I don't like the sound of it.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

No such thing unless he put in a fuel sensor + ecm/os change.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shizon
No such thing unless he put in a fuel sensor + ecm/os change.
I wouldn't say that, there are a couple tuners that say they can do it with a stock PCM. I'm looking into it a little more, but I'm guessing they setup it up some were in the middle ground for gas and E85, and then let the fuel trims correct it for what the 02's are saying.

Last edited by kbracing96; 03-15-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Who did it?
I do know of at least one tuner that can do it to the stock PCM, not impossible.

We currently sell a Predator tuner that will make any 03-06 V8 GM truck into a flex fuel vehicle if not so equipped from the factory.
More applications will be coming in the future...

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-15-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kbracing96
I wouldn't say that, there are a couple tuners that say they can do it with a stock PCM. I'm looking into it a little more, but I'm guessing they setup it up some were in the middle ground for gas and E85, and then let the fuel trims correct it for what the 02's are saying.
Even then you should still worry about maxing out your injectors with the E-85 which then you would lean out.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Schwanke Engines says they can do it, I'm not sure exactly how they are doing it. It seems like these guys who are doing it are guarding how they do it like it's the holy grail or something, lol. As E85 gain popularity, I'm sure it a only a mater of time before more people are doing it. I'm getting ready go give it a try in my truck, only I'm going to tune just for it since I run a mostly open loop tune with a EFIlive COS.

We finally got a place here in Phoenix that sell it, even though its only about 40c a gal cheaper then super, it's not cost effective, but I want to know I can do it effectively and see just what kind of power gains I can get and how much it affects my mileage.

Last edited by kbracing96; 03-20-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

E85 and a stock PCM here
Old 03-15-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BOTTLEFEDLS1Z
E85 and a stock PCM here
Did you do your own tuning?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Did you do your own tuning?
No, but from what I've seen my tuner do, its not that involved. A bunch of calculations,a COS and switch the wideband, in a nutshell
Old 03-15-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

the reason its so closely guarded from what I understand is there are some legal implications of putting the information out there (theres one thread about it out here somewhere) I guess a lot of legal pressure from certain interest groups...
Old 03-15-2008, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

I tune e85 with stock pcms. Efilive cos and a switch. If you had your car tuned by andy then it will switch itself with NO worries. And no there is no tuning of the middle ground with them they have the capability of switching themselves.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1MEANGTO
I tune e85 with stock pcms. Efilive cos and a switch. If you had your car tuned by andy then it will switch itself with NO worries. And no there is no tuning of the middle ground with them they have the capability of switching themselves.
I've heard nothing but good stuff about Andy! I called him and he's a really Nice Guy and explained to me what my options are. Once I get my tune dialed in, he told me to send him my file and he'd set it up for E85. He said that there were two ways to go about it:

1)Dedicated tune where I'd switch the tunes according to gas/E85 availability.
2) A tune that I could run either.

The difference in the two was that the dedicated tune would make more power.

He Definitely knows his stuff! He tuned a few of the cars in the Dynomax Dyno Challenge and they put down some BIG POWA!
Old 03-20-2008, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LuvmyC5
He tuned a few of the cars in the Dynomax Dyno Challenge and they put down some BIG POWA!
Yup, Andy is good stuff.
He's got several FI cars that he tuned for flex that he brought to that show.
Couple Vette's and one TA that I know of that put down [edit]570rwhp and 490rwtq[/edit]
He ran my car on the dyno that day too and gave me some free advice.
If he did the work I think your car is good to go.

Last edited by DirtyJohn; 03-20-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

I had it done at Dynotune in watertown SD. Andy is one of the best in the midwest, you can check them out at dynotuneusa.com
Old 03-20-2008, 03:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1/4milerunnerZ28
I had it done at Dynotune in watertown SD. Andy is one of the best in the midwest, you can check them out at dynotuneusa.com
In that case, to answer your question, yes, running it is a good thing.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

So is there a way I can setup my COS3 SD tune in my turbocharged truck to run E85 or gas without switching tunes, and with out compromising the tune for one or the other? This is something I really want to do and have the stuff to go it. Will anyone help me out here? Please PM me if you don't want post it publicly.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default E85

Enjoy E85 while you can, You know after it gets fully inducted and a certain percentage of the usage is in full effect, the buzzards (Gov) will start raising the prices and it will be up to par or exceed regular gas prices. Waaay Back when only a hand full of cars were using diesel fuel (mostly like Mercedes) Diesel was like half the price of gasoline, as the automotive industry perfected the diesel motor in pickups and cars the price started going up and is now More than gasoline. Gov is kinda like the drug dealer, give you something good at a great price, get you hooked (for us Octane) and watch the price start to rise. Just like now a few independent individuals have diesel motors that are running on the used french fry oils from local restaurants. The restaurants use th have to pay to dispose of this stuff and were giving it away to these groups, Now they are slowly charging them, Right now its like only 10 cents per gallon but it was free when a couple of college students started this a couple of years ago, anyway, get my drift.....
Old 03-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Launching!

So is there a way I can setup my COS3 SD tune in my turbocharged truck to run E85 or gas without switching tunes, and with out compromising the tune for one or the other? This is something I really want to do and have the stuff to go it. Will anyone help me out here? Please PM me if you don't want post it publicly.
Hi kbracing!

I'd recommend that you give Andy a call! I'm using the same OS as you are (EfiLive's COS3) and he gave me alot of good info on converting to E85. All that I'd have to do is send him the file and he'd e-mail it back with the conversion done. Being that our vehicles already have the bigger injectors, upgraded fuel system stuff in them because of the FI, your battle is mostly done. I talked to him a few months back though because my tune isn't complete yet, so I have to wait for better weather to finish it up.