PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Tune: Why does my idle dip so low?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock Tune: Why does my idle dip so low?

My car is a bone stock 98 Trans Am WS6 M6. 40K miles on it.

Here is the problem scenario:
Steady cruising at 25mph in 2nd gear
Take foot off gas, leaving clutch engaged
engine-brake down to about 5-10mph
disengage clutch and coast
idle drops to 500rpm, stumbles, and recovers to 1000rpm

Interesting points:
It only happens when I engine-brake. For example, if I were to disengage the clutch immediately after letting off the gas at 25mph, the idle drops smoothly and stays at about 1100-1200rpm until I'm stopped, and then it settles down to 1000rpm once the car is completely stopped.
The problem occurs in any gear in which I'm engine-braking
Basically if the car is moving with the clutch engaged and my foot off the gas pedal, as soon as I disengage the clutch the RPMs drop like a rock to about 500rpm before the computer "catches" it and brings it back up to normal.

The car has always done this. What the hell is going on, and how do I fix it?
I HAVE HP TUNERS but I have not messed with anything (yet).
PLEASE HELP ME!
Old 04-16-2008, 05:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's poor factory throttle-cracker setup. Look at that table; it's RPM against MPH for an airflow value. Look how it is low in the area where you have a problem OEM.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frost I have the same issue, do I just raise the values in the throttle cracker table?
Old 04-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply. I will post up my table later tonight when I get home. Hopefully you can recommend what I need to change.
Yep, I'm a total NOOB
Old 04-17-2008, 05:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Gh0st
Frost I have the same issue, do I just raise the values in the throttle cracker table?
Just make a log, log things like RPM, MPH, etc and then as you go back, look for the dips. Look at the RPMs and MPHs they occur at. Match em up with the TC table's cells and possibly adjacent cells and increase, rinse, and repeat. There is no other way to "tune" that table other than trial & error. Start with adding larger units where you have problems like .5 to .75g

Many M6 cars do this from the factory at certain speeds.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:15 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Johns98TA
Thanks for the reply. I will post up my table later tonight when I get home. Hopefully you can recommend what I need to change.
Yep, I'm a total NOOB
You can, but everything needed to DIY is here in this tiny thread

Oh yeah, this assumes you haven't made some mod that made your car stupid rich in low VE that it pulling it down waiting on trimming.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:21 AM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Frost
Just make a log, log things like RPM, MPH, etc and then as you go back, look for the dips. Look at the RPMs and MPHs they occur at. Match em up with the TC table's cells and possibly adjacent cells and increase, rinse, and repeat. There is no other way to "tune" that table other than trial & error. Start with adding larger units where you have problems like .5 to .75g

Many M6 cars do this from the factory at certain speeds.
Mine does it excessively when I'm trying to turn the car at low speed(such as backing out every morning) or if I'm giving it half clutch. I'll work on the TC this weekend, thanks!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:12 AM
FormerVendor

If you have a cammed car you need to look at your idle airflow too and make sure that it is correct before getting into the TC
Old 04-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Hey I just wanted to follow up and let you guys know that adjusting the throttle cracker table "fixed" my problem. It no longer dips below target idle like it was doing before when I engine-brake.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-29-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

There are two ways to go on this. You can add to the throttle cracker like you did, or you can get rid of the throttle cracker completely so the pcm goes into its idle routine as soon as you close the throttle even if you're still moving. I opted for the second way.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:18 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by P Mack
There are two ways to go on this. You can add to the throttle cracker like you did, or you can get rid of the throttle cracker completely so the pcm goes into its idle routine as soon as you close the throttle even if you're still moving. I opted for the second way.

So rather than zero it out, you are turning it's enable speed up too high to come in... what does that really do? Does everything else still act normal? Never gone that route before.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Big picture, this is getting you into a closed loop idle system sooner (not closed loop fueling, closed loop IAC based on RPM) I set the enable speed to 10 mph and zeroed out almost every cell in the airflow table, except for a few "parking lot speed" cells. So now say you're getting of the highway and you shift to neutral. If your throttle cracker is too low or high your rpms could dip to 400 rpm or hang at 1500 rpm all and the pcm won't make a correction until you get to 1 mph, where the throttle cracker disable speed is. The pcm doesn't think it needs to make a correction because it's not in idle mode. This is really mostly a problem when you turn your A/C on or off while cruising so your idle trims don't have a chance to react till you come to a complete stop.

The only real reason to do this instead of massage your throttle cracker table is if you're going to zero out your throttle cracker cells anyway so your rpms drop faster between shifts. I hated how gm built in the throttle follower and cracker for slow rpm drops for easier shifts. So now the engine revs down faster and I'm in gear faster and easier.
The following users liked this post:
kyoytey1693 (10-15-2021)
Old 11-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to post an update. It turns out the problem I was experiencing was not from the throttle cracker. Fooling with that table did mask the problem, but that is not what was causing it. It turns out that it was the DFCO exit table that needed to be adjusted. Basically, when I was engine-braking up to a stop sign, the fuel would stay cut off all the way down to 1200rpm. I was hitting the clutch pedal at about 1400rpm, which would leave the motor still in DFCO and let the rpms drop very quickly before the PCM could correct. I raised the DFCO exit value to 1800rpm, and put my idle and throttle cracker back to stock. The problem is now completely gone. I hope this helps somebody!
The following users liked this post:
kyoytey1693 (10-15-2021)
Old 11-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Johns98TA
I know this thread is old, but I wanted to post an update. It turns out the problem I was experiencing was not from the throttle cracker. Fooling with that table did mask the problem, but that is not what was causing it. It turns out that it was the DFCO exit table that needed to be adjusted. Basically, when I was engine-braking up to a stop sign, the fuel would stay cut off all the way down to 1200rpm. I was hitting the clutch pedal at about 1400rpm, which would leave the motor still in DFCO and let the rpms drop very quickly before the PCM could correct. I raised the DFCO exit value to 1800rpm, and put my idle and throttle cracker back to stock. The problem is now completely gone. I hope this helps somebody!
Yes, actually it might! I'm going to try it.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Jedi Master

Did the trick for me too

Quick Reply: Stock Tune: Why does my idle dip so low?