Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh... Did I get a shitty tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ugh... Did I get a shitty tune?

Well well well... Imagine this... I just got my car back from the tuning shop and ONE WEEK LATER it ***** up... Excuse the french but I'm pretty pissed. I took it to get a diagnostic ran and it says my crank position sensor isn't being read... And the second thing on the list was the PCM itself... No would someone tell me why my crank postition sensor would go out a week or so after my tune was done? Or is this just coincidental? I had my rear O2 sensors deleted, Torque management deleted, Traction control deleted, the pcm was supposedly "tuned", and my torque converter was tuned for no lock-up in drive and a higher lock-up in overdrive... Someone back me up here please and let me know what's going on...
Old 05-07-2008, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

Your traction control was not deleted and no a tune wont make your crank position sensor go out.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

How do you know my traction control wasn't removed?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because its a switch. Why on earth would u delet that anyway? If you dont want traction control take out the noid or unplug it.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:41 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 01'WS6
Your traction control was not deleted and no a tune wont make your crank position sensor go out.
I would not say it wasnt, becouse it can be tuned out. Not sure why you would do that, but doesnt mean it was not.

As for the crank position sensor, what code are you getting, or any at all?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Eurospec2
I would not say it wasnt, becouse it can be tuned out. Not sure why you would do that, but doesnt mean it was not.

As for the crank position sensor, what code are you getting, or any at all?
How are you going to tune out the pedal lift from the traction control in the pcm? That is all controlled by the bcm.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

On the diagnostic is read CKP Sensor Failure, and then something about the PCM could not read or failed to read the sensor. And as for traction control being a switch it isn't in my car. Never seen a switch for traction control. It comes on automatically when the car gets squirly and it SUCKS. The whole point in driving is to drive the car, not let it help you out! But anyways back to my main concern, the sensor was only like 60 bucks and it should be done today. I'll let ya know how it goes... I hope it runs like a champ again. That week or so after the tune it ran great! Plus the F-Body Convention in Atlanta is not this weekend but next and I GOTTA GO!
Old 05-07-2008, 02:21 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

You don't have an on/off switch above your stereo by the fog lights for your traction control?

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 05-07-2008, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^the button should say ASR....
Old 05-08-2008, 02:12 AM
On The Tree

No... No traction control switch next to my fog light switch. And even turning the switch off only eliminates about 60% of it. But since my car doesn't have one I had it tuned completely out. And for an update, I got the crank position sensor replaced and it runs great. Guess I did all that bitchin for nothing. lol
Old 05-08-2008, 05:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do you have an underhood picture of your car? Just wondering about this TCS thing.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:14 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by stealthy_2005
No... No traction control switch next to my fog light switch. And even turning the switch off only eliminates about 60% of it. But since my car doesn't have one I had it tuned completely out. And for an update, I got the crank position sensor replaced and it runs great. Guess I did all that bitchin for nothing. lol
Glad to hear it runs great again!

Explain to us this traction control system your car has, I have never heard of it and it seems odd that one out of all the f-bodies made is different, there has to be more to this story. Have you had the radio bezel off to see the traction control harness/plug that sit on top of the radio? With or without TCS it will be there, I'd like to know if anything is plugged into it. Could we get an underhood pic? And where did you get the number of 60% when the traction control is off? You've peaked my interest. . .

WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 05-08-2008, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have Traction Control the switch is number 1 in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Ugh... Did I get a shitty tune?-foglamptcs.gif  
Old 05-08-2008, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Alright... well I understand where it is supposed to be located, but there is nothing there. just a block off plate where I could add something later on down the road. As far as the 60%, that is probably not exact but it is what the guy that tuned my car said. Supposedly, these cars have a lot of places on the computer that enable traction control and ALL of them have to be nulled out. I'm not a tuner and won't ever say that I am. But I promise you that I do not have a switch next to the fog lights, and I have not taken off the front plate to see if there's a plug for it. But it does look like it came factory this way considering the block off plate that is filling the hole where my tcs should be... I will work on an under the hood pic. What kind of under hood picture and tell me exactly where you want my to take it... I could be wrong about all of this but every day is a learning experience...
Old 05-08-2008, 01:56 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

It's alright, we're just intrigued. We would like to see throttle body in the pic, and all of the engine bay to the left of it if you don't mind.

As far as 60%, when you push the button to turn it off, it's off, just like you never had it. I know on the typical Fbody if you unplug the switch, ASR stays off.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the camaro's have ASR and it is located next to the fog light switch, not on the console like the TCS in the firebirds (same system, different name)

agreed on the pics of the engine bay.

Ryan
Old 05-08-2008, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look on your option label (SPID label) for NW9, that is the RPO for traction control. It was optional. The system is operated through your ABS system, not the PCM.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:27 AM
On The Tree

Ok I'll see what I can do about the pictures... It might take a while with my work schedule. And I'll check on that code for you too. So I take it with it being optional if I don't have that code I don't have traction control anyways. And like I said I could be wrong about everything, but I do know that the only way I even knew I had Traction Control was because when I would get killer crossed up a light would come on that said traction conrol or something (it's been a while). And now it doesn't...
Old 05-09-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Maybe the low trac light?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

My low trac light comes on sometimes when I get on it in 1st or 2nd gear and my car doesn't even have traction control...