Sponsored by:

LT1 PCM Fried. Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 PCM Fried. Need Help.

Hello,

Well atlast I got the car all bolted up, and back together, but she doesn't run.

I took it to a local automotive shop and they said my pcm was toast. No problem, I can just get a new one.....

I think...........

It's a 94 Firebird, with an LT1, M6, and PCM from a 96' Camaro SS donor.

I'm not too framiliar with the computer side of my car, but will try an answer to my best of knowledge.
I want to run the car OBDI since I can get away with it on inspection day. I heard of the PCM conversions from OBDII to OBDI. But since my pcm is fried, I don't really know what to do...

I just need my car running :-(

Thanks
Old 07-26-2008, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by doaberetta
Hello,

Well atlast I got the car all bolted up, and back together, but she doesn't run.

I took it to a local automotive shop and they said my pcm was toast. No problem, I can just get a new one.....

I think...........

I'm not too framiliar with the computer side of my car, but will try an answer to my best of knowledge.
I want to run the car OBDI since I can get away with it on inspection day. I heard of the PCM conversions from OBDII to OBDI. But since my pcm is fried, I don't really know what to do...

Thanks
I would also really appreciate the answer, I have the EXACT same situation right now, very similar car too..
Old 07-27-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,

I think...........

Thanks
put your obd1 pcm back in it and it should run. i just finished a swap '97 camaro LT1 into a '94 impala basicly the same thing you did. i used the '94 harness and computer. the obd2 cars have a crank sensor in the timing chain cover the obd1 cars do not support.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sreve
put your obd1 pcm back in it and it should run. i just finished a swap '97 camaro LT1 into a '94 impala basicly the same thing you did. i used the '94 harness and computer. the obd2 cars have a crank sensor in the timing chain cover the obd1 cars do not support.

So to clarify what you are saying.. I can just pick up a OBD1 PCM from someone on here and it should work? I don't need any reprogramming with vins or anything like that? MY wiring harness is from an OBD2, will that fire any codes because I have the crank sensor on my motor?

My father seems to believe I need to get a 96 pcm to match the motor. And a OBD1 will not work.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have set it up for OBDII, then you need OBDII. We don't know how the car is wired. If an OBDII harness was used & all of the OBDII sensors are mounted, then you need an OBDII PCM. You can find one @ a salvage yard.

If, however, you have used an OBDII harness & have only connected the harness to the OBDI sensors, then an OBDI PCM will work. It would help if you can tell us exactly what sensors are connected; mainly the crank sensor, rear O2 sensors...etc..
Old 07-27-2008, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1-450
If you have set it up for OBDII, then you need OBDII. We don't know how the car is wired. If an OBDII harness was used & all of the OBDII sensors are mounted, then you need an OBDII PCM. You can find one @ a salvage yard.

If, however, you have used an OBDII harness & have only connected the harness to the OBDI sensors, then an OBDI PCM will work. It would help if you can tell us exactly what sensors are connected; mainly the crank sensor, rear O2 sensors...etc..

Okay, for the quick fix purpose I can just pick up a OBDII PCM and it should fire.

But I did a few mods.. I installed LT's, so I !EGR & !Air. I wont be using my rear O2's either.

So, IF I wanted to use a OBDI pcm, all I would have to do is disconnect the sensors that were added for the OBDII computer?
Old 07-27-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Okay, for the quick fix purpose I can just pick up a OBDII PCM and it should fire.

But I did a few mods.. I installed LT's, so I !EGR & !Air. I wont be using my rear O2's either.

So, IF I wanted to use a OBDI pcm, all I would have to do is disconnect the sensors that were added for the OBDII computer?

Yes, if you want to use the OBDI PCM, then disconnect any sensor that is related to OBDII; rear O2's, crank.....anything related to OBDII. If OBDI looks @ EGR, then it will throw a code. A tuner can turn off the error codes for EGR, Air...etc., if OBDI is related to these items. I don't know everything that OBDI requires. Just make sure that all required OBDI sensors are connected & it should be OK.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default OBDII to OBDI

All you have to do is install the OBDI PCM, Change out the knock sensor on the side of the block and thats it, Of course the codes that will come on can be deleted in the tune..Have done this many times, and yes your car will start with an OBD I PCM installed..
Old 07-29-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Moehorsepower is exactly right. I have an OBDII 96 Z28 but converted to the OBDI back in 96 via MTI with only the PCM and the 94-95 commensurate Knock sensor (replaces the OBDII knock sensor on the passenger side of the block, about mid point just above the oil pan/block seal point). You can flash it with the file you want but you need to be mindful of the flash matching the transmission. Tons of people can flash it for you or you can just buy the AKM Cable and flash it yourself.

Quick Reply: LT1 PCM Fried. Need Help.