Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much for tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How much for tuning?

I recently blew the engine in my '00 M6 Z28 and have already swapped the motor. When I did the swap I also installed a set of race-style long tubes and an ORY. So, I'm going to need some tuning done.

I checked the "How to" section before I did the swap so I'd know what I was in for and it said it would cost roughly $75 to get the EGR, AIR and rear O2s deleted. That was not the case when I called one of this site's sponsors a few minutes ago.

They quoted me $200 just to make the changes in the PCM, and $550 if I wanted the changes and a dynotune.

Is this what everyone is paying?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I payed $150 to delete my 02s, egr, air, set idle for cam (still not tune it) bigger injecotors, gear ratio, ect.... and it was goona cost $350 for a full dyno tune and an extra $50 on spray. Since i just got the basic done when im go back here in about a week or two its only gonna cost $250 for a tune on spray since i already paid the $150.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toneloc60
I recently blew the engine in my '00 M6 Z28 and have already swapped the motor. When I did the swap I also installed a set of race-style long tubes and an ORY. So, I'm going to need some tuning done.

I checked the "How to" section before I did the swap so I'd know what I was in for and it said it would cost roughly $75 to get the EGR, AIR and rear O2s deleted. That was not the case when I called one of this site's sponsors a few minutes ago.

They quoted me $200 just to make the changes in the PCM, and $550 if I wanted the changes and a dynotune.

Is this what everyone is paying?
PM sent
Old 08-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys. I thought those prices sounded high.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For dynotuning those prices are pretty inline with what we have here in NJ, NY and surrounding areas.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:46 AM
9 Second Club

I can never understand how people can spend thousands of dollars on an engine and then think that $550 is too much money to properly tune that investment... Tuning will literally make or break the car and trying to save $100 or $200 is not the way to go - that being said, not all the high cost shops/tuners know what they are doing either!! The best thing to do is to find out the reputation of the tuner by talking to their customers and looking at their track record...
Old 08-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Launching!

BLK02WS6, first I'd like to say I agree with your statement about people trying to cheap out on a tune after spending thousands on the engine. That's why I had my other engine, my performance engine, dyno tuned after it was built.

However, this particular case was more of a needed than a desired project. I blew my last engine and had another to swap in. While I was putting it in I got rid of the AIR and EGR systems. But, because I was using an engine out of a '99 WS6, the exhaust manifolds were different than those in my '00 Z28 and the cat on the pass. side wouldn't fit. So I adapted it by cutting, bending and re-welding the pipe to make the thing fit. Well, then it hung too low and there was no more room to adapt. So I bought headers and an ORY to save money and still get things to fit.

Trust me, if I had the cash I'd love to just throw it down on a dyno tune. It's just not in the budget this month.

But hey, thanks for looking down off your high horse.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
I can never understand how people can spend thousands of dollars on an engine and then think that $550 is too much money to properly tune that investment... Tuning will literally make or break the car and trying to save $100 or $200 is not the way to go - that being said, not all the high cost shops/tuners know what they are doing either!! The best thing to do is to find out the reputation of the tuner by talking to their customers and looking at their track record...
Yes and Yes to his quote, When I was tuning for Nitro Dave at his shop we had a special going on for $300.00 for a complete Dyno Tune, Do you know how many people complained about paying for this..and like you said, I too cannot understand why people will spend literally thousands of dollars on a motor and bitch about a few hundred for a tune, Maybe they don't understand the cost, The dyno cost $25,000, the software cost (at that time) over $10,000, the rent, the overhead ect.. On one particular forum I had advertised a club special and the response from their members was," I would only pay $100 for a tune" what a bunch on dumbasses. another member claimed he would "TUNE" you car for $35.00, All he did was raise the idle and change the timing and thats it. People complained about surging, poor throttle response ect and his answer was, "you have to expect that with a cam" What a Joke!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:05 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by toneloc60
BLK02WS6, first I'd like to say I agree with your statement about people trying to cheap out on a tune after spending thousands on the engine. That's why I had my other engine, my performance engine, dyno tuned after it was built.

However, this particular case was more of a needed than a desired project. I blew my last engine and had another to swap in. While I was putting it in I got rid of the AIR and EGR systems. But, because I was using an engine out of a '99 WS6, the exhaust manifolds were different than those in my '00 Z28 and the cat on the pass. side wouldn't fit. So I adapted it by cutting, bending and re-welding the pipe to make the thing fit. Well, then it hung too low and there was no more room to adapt. So I bought headers and an ORY to save money and still get things to fit.

Trust me, if I had the cash I'd love to just throw it down on a dyno tune. It's just not in the budget this month.

But hey, thanks for looking down off your high horse.

Well, I can understand if you are talking about an engine without mods done - if you are talking only emissions taken off, that should only run you $75 for code deletes and some other small stuff (and we take it off the total if you come back later for a dyno tune).

Sorry, guess I didn't get that from your first post. Not on a high horse, just see so many of the posts complaining about the cost of a tune when it is so important to properly tune a modded car - and like said above - the cost of the equipment and software to do it is extremely high.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Well, I can understand if you are talking about an engine without mods done - if you are talking only emissions taken off, that should only run you $75 for code deletes and some other small stuff (and we take it off the total if you come back later for a dyno tune).

Sorry, guess I didn't get that from your first post. Not on a high horse, just see so many of the posts complaining about the cost of a tune when it is so important to properly tune a modded car - and like said above - the cost of the equipment and software to do it is extremely high.

And good tuning takes time... it's not done in a few pulls on the rollers
Old 08-14-2008, 07:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
And good tuning takes time... it's not done in a few pulls on the rollers
Yep