Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning software question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning software question

ok, I'm trying to make up my mind on my next purchase.

Do I purchase a MAF translator or the VCM Suite from HP Tuners?

Here's a little background. For me it's all about my nitrous. I'm building a 180 shot direct port system into my street car. The nitrous is only for the track. I purchased an Hypertech III years ago to adjust for my new gear ratio and I more recently purchased a Timing Tuner. The last thing I think I need is a is to adjust my A/F.

If I purchase the VCM Suite, can it replace the Hypertec, Timing Tuner, and the need for the MAF translator? I suspect I'd use one program for the track while I'm on nitrous and a different one for daily driving.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the HP tuner or EFI Live, I chose EFI Live. After you have that you can throw away all the other crap because with either of these you can change everything.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me know if you have any questions about our product or shoot us an email to sales at hptuners.com and we'll be more than happy to answer and of your questions.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

Definitely get software. EFI Live has better support, but HP Tuners has a better interface.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We also have a custom operating system that is made for nitrous. It adds in various fuel and spark control while you activate your nitrous. It is called custom os5 If you want to know more details im always a phone call away for support.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

EFILive also as a Custom Operating system that you might find very use full. It is for NO2 guys like you and allows you to add fuel and pull timing when the juice is flowing. I would look into that. Is called COS5. You just build the tune you want and then connect one wire to the PCM and then when you trigger the NO2, it switches to the tables that add fuel and pull timing. VERY use full.

Edit, Jesse beat me to it,
Old 09-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Launching!

If I'm reading it correctly, the VCM Suite is much less costly than the EFI live. I say IF, who was smoking what when they came up with that VCM pricing? $500 vs. $750.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by captainwizbang
If I'm reading it correctly, the VCM Suite is much less costly than the EFI live. I say IF, who was smoking what when they came up with that VCM pricing? $500 vs. $750.
The HPtuners pricing doesn't include their custom operating systems, while the EFIlive price does. If you need the custom OS's, there isn't really any price difference. If you don't need them, with HPT you don't pay for them. There are other minor differences in the two, but either will do what you need.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

HUH? Our $550 dollar cable is more like the $650 dollar one Hp sells. It is a black box logging unit and includes the unlimited scan tool. AND unlimited 1997-1998 camaro/corvette programming for free.

$750 dollar cable from us is alot more advanced than the HP cable that is $650. It has a working scan tool on it, with screen, you can clear codes, read codes, Black box log on it, ect... PLUS we dont charge for any 1998 camaro/corvette, so that is unlimited and we dont charge for any extra custom os systems ect...
Old 09-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Launching!

I didn't read about FlashScan V1 I suppose I should. BTW my car is a 2000 Pontiac TA. Maybe the free programming/scan would benefit a friend or two. Do you have a link for installation of the V1 unit? Specifically how I would use it with my nitrous kit.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Installation is simple, just plug it in and it will ask for a driver, install the driver and it is ready. The software can be downloaded for free here, www.efilive.com and then you can check out the software before you buy. There are bin files for you to look at as well as scan logs, so you can play with anything.

As for the nitrous, you would just use the custom os5 and basically start with a 2002 TA program and set your injectors ect, and then set up your wideband into the software and it will tell you what you need to change everything to for fuel, ect... If you follow the tutorials, it is pretty simple.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Ok, maybe this is a new question for you. I have an FJO wideband sensor. I use it in conjuntion with me Maximizer II. This will allow the MXII to shut down my nitrous if a lean condition occurs. From the WB02 PDF I looked at on EFI's site, it looks like you want me to cut two of the existing wires from the stock sensor and plug them into an efi device along with my FJO sensor.

Is it possible to splice the sensor cables from the FJO so that it feeds data to both my MXII and the EFI system?

What happens to the stock O2? Is is still operational?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kbracing96
EFILive also as a Custom Operating system that you might find very use full. It is for NO2 guys like you and allows you to add fuel and pull timing when the juice is flowing. I would look into that. Is called COS5. You just build the tune you want and then connect one wire to the PCM and then when you trigger the NO2, it switches to the tables that add fuel and pull timing. VERY use full.

Edit, Jesse beat me to it,

Ok, I've been looking around the EFI site for the instructions on the "one wire" connect that will control the table switching while my nitrous is active. As of yet, i have only found a diagram for the O2 sensor. I hate to say "spoon feed me" but I can't seem to find the soup cup!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

HPT rocks!

Last edited by 2000WS6ICK; 09-04-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, I've been looking around the EFI site for the instructions on the "one wire" connect that will control the table switching while my nitrous is active. As of yet, i have only found a diagram for the O2 sensor. I hate to say "spoon feed me" but I can't seem to find the soup cup!
Its easy mate.. All you do is wire in a ground switch to Pin 56 on the Red Connector. There is info in the Custom OS install tutorial in EFI LIVE itself. The info is about wiring up Valet Mode but its identical for N20. You really don't want to go HPTuners if your running NOS.. EFI LIVE has so much more scope in OS5 for your application.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Our Standard MPVI($499) interface supports nearly 3x the amount of vehicles their V1 supports and is future proof for the most part.

Also our MPVI Pro($649) can standalone datalog for up to 1hr 30 minutes, you might want to ask them how many minutes of data their V1 can datalog.

Also both our Std & Pro interfaces come with enough free credits to tune up to 4 separate vehicles as compared to their 2 licenses.

Both products go about things in a very different way and neither has a product thats really directly comparable because of this other than we both support LS1 to the highest level.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by foff667
Our Standard MPVI($499) interface supports nearly 3x the amount of vehicles their V1 supports and is future proof for the most part.

Also our MPVI Pro($649) can standalone datalog for up to 1hr 30 minutes, you might want to ask them how many minutes of data their V1 can datalog.

Also both our Std & Pro interfaces come with enough free credits to tune up to 4 separate vehicles as compared to their 2 licenses.

Both products go about things in a very different way and neither has a product thats really directly comparable because of this other than we both support LS1 to the highest level.

Tell me about the credit thing. I'm not sold on it yet. Once I have it, it's mine, correct? As long as I don't try to tune more cars than I have purchased in credits. I figer I could use this product on both my TransAM and my wifes Yukon.

I have to add. I've been clicking around your site and I can find any good old fashioned "install/users guide" or information on how I may need to incorporate my FJO WBAFR.

Last edited by captainwizbang; 09-04-2008 at 11:34 PM. Reason: more ?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Tell me about the credit thing. I'm not sold on it yet. Once I have it, it's mine, correct? As long as I don't try to tune more cars than I have purchased in credits. I figer I could use this product on both my TransAM and my wifes Yukon.

I have to add. I've been clicking around your site and I can find any good old fashioned "install/users guide" or information on how I may need to incorporate my FJO WBAFR.
Correct, your initial purchase of our hardware comes with 8 free credits to use as you please...you want to tune your Trans Am it uses 2 credits and you've licensed that pcm forever and can tune it an unlimited amount of times, you want to tune your wifes Yukon it uses 2 credits and you've licensed that pcm forever and can tune it an unlimited amount of times, you have a buddy with a 99 Camaro Z28 that wants his rev limiter bumped up or speed limiters removed and is willing to throw you a few bucks for doing so it uses 2 credits, etc. Many of our customers go this route since they know they can make at least part of their investment back by doing some easy stuff that anyone can do on their friends cars. Thats another great part about our software since we offer software for such a wide variety of vehicles, from 97+ 4 cylinders, 97+ V6's, Alloytech V6's, newer 2.0 turbo engines in solstice/sky, LS1, LS2, LS3, LS4, LS6, LS7, & LS9 motors, and so on. Not to mention Ford software(it uses the same hardware you'll receive from us) and the ability to scan many late model fords without using any credits at all.

As for connecting & configuring our software to support a wideband input it is covered in our help file http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_sca...connecting.htm

Its a simple two wire connection with our interface and a couple of clicks of the mouse to insert our FJO custom PID
Old 09-05-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by foff667
Its a simple two wire connection with our interface and a couple of clicks of the mouse to insert our FJO custom PID
You do have to buy the $650 Pro version for this, and you can not black box log with the $500 version either I believe. Just FYI
Old 09-05-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ok, I'm trying to make up my mind on my next purchase.

As stated previously, tuning software is the way to go & will allow you to eliminated all of the other gadgets. Both tuning products (HP tuners & EFI Live) are excellent. So, as you are doing, make yourself comfortable w/ one or the other, & then buy your tuning software. Once you get into tuning, take your time & understand that there is a lot that can be learned. Good-luck

Quick Reply: Tuning software question