PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ol sd tune vs. cl sd tune-opinions inside....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default ol sd tune vs. cl sd tune-opinions inside....

right now i have it in open loop as the car was getting bitchy in closed loop. turns out my o2's were taking a crap. so do you think i would benifit at all driveabilty or mpg wise going to a closed loop sd tune? just trying to decide if i want to spend $200 on o2's or just clear the mil light. right now the car gets 10.5-11 mpg (which is mostly due to the cam im sure) but if the mpg could see a bump ill go ahead and fix the o2's as i kind of like the idea of them being functional anyways.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a big CLSD fan personally... I'm sure your mileage will come up as well.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:51 PM
9 Second Club

any reasons for that? honestly the car runs pretty decent with the size of the cam in the car but any bit helps.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In OL you have to make sure your A?f 14.6 all the time. If you play with no prob. It will channge with temp. That is what the NBs are for. If you run OL you have a WB in the car and makeing sure ur A/F is good all the time? RIGHT
Old 10-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Banned

Closed loop is more forgiving. Doesn't have to be perfect. OL needs to be more precise, and usually will take some adjusting of the OL EQ table in the colder months in you live in an area with pretty big climate changes from season to season.

That being said, if you do a OL tune right, you can run a bit leaner on the part throttle low load portion of the table, and possibly improve your mileage over a CL tune.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I run OLSD all year round and see minimal afr error. The error that is imposed in mine is because of heat soak and living in a hot climate. If you tune with EFI LIVE have a look at the IAT/VE factor table (A0014). This takes all the guess work out of temp drift apparent with OLSD. The beauty about the table is that unlike a stock OS or HPTuners OS where when it gets hot you lean out. With the IAT/VE multiplier if it is a heat soaked reading it will safely go a little rich.

This is a copy of one of my clients cars IAT/VE factor table.

FYI the kick at -40c is there for safety in case the IAT sensor is disconnected. It never gets to -40c in Australia anyway.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not use a COS from EFILive with semi-open loop speed density? That way you can have your cake and eat it too... You can tell it when to correct using the O2 sensors for every MAP vs RPM cell...
Old 10-08-2008, 05:19 PM
9 Second Club

t.t.t.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been having problems running in CL lately and my car only really has headers. My o2 sensors are less than 2 months old and I am already getting poor gas mileage. I have tried playing around with a bunch of the closed loop settings in hptuners with no improvement. I run OLMAF and not SD but thats up to you. I tried to get some support on the hptuners website on what to do to help my gas mileage in CL but no one has helped me yet. My o2 sensors would switch like crazy when cruising 60-70 mph and they did not do that a couple months ago.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
I have been having problems running in CL lately and my car only really has headers. My o2 sensors are less than 2 months old and I am already getting poor gas mileage. I have tried playing around with a bunch of the closed loop settings in hptuners with no improvement. I run OLMAF and not SD but thats up to you. I tried to get some support on the hptuners website on what to do to help my gas mileage in CL but no one has helped me yet. My o2 sensors would switch like crazy when cruising 60-70 mph and they did not do that a couple months ago.
The O2 sensors are meant to switch quick.. Its when they are laggy that you have to worry.
Confirm what they are doing with a WB02 sensor.. Using only the onboard 02's to tune with is far from precise.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by macca_779
The O2 sensors are meant to switch quick.. Its when they are laggy that you have to worry.
Confirm what they are doing with a WB02 sensor.. Using only the onboard 02's to tune with is far from precise.
I have been using a wbo2 unit. I know the o2 sensors are supposed to switch fast but mine used to be nice and smooth waves now they are very fast V's. My AFR used to roll back and forth nice and smooth now it constaly bounces back and forth really fast. Last but not least my mileage has dropped. If you have access to hptuners forum check my post out if you can help. http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20379
Old 10-13-2008, 12:43 AM
9 Second Club

bump.

Quick Reply: ol sd tune vs. cl sd tune-opinions inside....