Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

how does the top of center console come off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how does the top of center console come off?

just wondering if there's anything i need to unhook before i take it off. looks like it just pops off but wanted to be sure. do i need to do anything with the ashtray or the cig lighter before i go popping it off? also what about the little cubby hole next to the lighter?

any help is appreciated! thanks.

edit: to be more specific - the part that goes from the dash to just in front of the storage area.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres a light socket for the Ash tray and automatic trans selector (if equipped) and the cig Lighter. After that it just lifts out once the change holder and the bolts are removed.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lift out the coin holder in the utility box under the arm rest. Remove the two screws under the coin holder. If you have an A4, remove the "U" shaped pin on the front of the gear shift handle (pull out with a small screwdriver or needle nose pliers) and lift the handle off. You may want to put the gear shift in drive or somewhere close to that first. Lift the console up and back, then wiggle it off the gear shift post. Remove the gear indicator light wire and the cigaretter lighter wire and you're done.

If you have an M6, I don't know how to get the console around the boot so you're screwed. I'm guessing you just have to unscrew the handle, but what do I know...
Old 03-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Default center console

it is an a4, but really i'm just talking about the very top, it is a separate piece at from messing with it a little it looks like it should just pop out. i don't need to removed the whole center console. i guess i should have explained myself a little better.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nytmare1
Lift out the coin holder in the utility box under the arm rest. Remove the two screws under the coin holder. If you have an A4, remove the "U" shaped pin on the front of the gear shift handle (pull out with a small screwdriver or needle nose pliers) and lift the handle off. You may want to put the gear shift in drive or somewhere close to that first. Lift the console up and back, then wiggle it off the gear shift post. Remove the gear indicator light wire and the cigaretter lighter wire and you're done.

If you have an M6, I don't know how to get the console around the boot so you're screwed. I'm guessing you just have to unscrew the handle, but what do I know...
M6 is even easier, the boot is clipped onto the console. All you have to do extra is unscrew the shifter **** instead of removing the U shaped pin. Everything else is the same.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blackpontiacs
edit: to be more specific - the part that goes from the dash to just in front of the storage area.
What storage area are you talking about? The little cubby under the dash and in front of the ashtray? Or the compartment where you keep CDs and other stuff (your elbow rests on it while driving)?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Teching In

i don't need to remove the part your elbow rests on. just the plastic trim around the shifter.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

i don't need to remove the part your elbow rests on. just the plastic trim around the shifter.

You unscrew the 2 bolts under the coin holder inside of the armrest compartment. Undo the shifter with the uclip mentioned above, slowly pull the center console up and unplug the ashtray lightbuild, the tcs component(if installed) and acc harness.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok... then follow the directions I gave above and also what Aetos said.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Yep, just 2 7mm bolts under the coin holder and then it just pops off.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rancor352
Yep, just 2 7mm bolts under the coin holder and then it just pops off.
JUST so we're clear, taking these screws out it needed to get the TOP PIECE only which you are trying to remove. If you're still confused, get a 7mm bit for a nut driver and just go do it! lol Not hard at all. It's easier if your shifter is in the "1" position.

Swat

Quick Reply: how does the top of center console come off?