Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Weird whining noise from driver-side rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weird whining noise from driver-side rear

I was doing some cruising tonight around the beach and 3 times I heard a medium tone whine that sound like it was coming from behind me. I first thought it was from one of the buildings because it sound like it was far off (if that makes since to you, lol), maybe their A/C or something or a ship out at sea blowing off a horn, not like the car was acting up or anything so I ignored it. Well it happened again, about 15 mins later. I was in the same area so again I was not sure if it was the car, so I pulled over to turn the car off, but the whine stopped before I could. Well like I said, noting was acting fucked up with the car so I just assumed it was not me. Then about 20 min later it happened again; this time I was farther down the beach from where I was at, the 2 times previous, so I was like what the ****. I pulled over and turned the car off; then whining stopped about 2 to 3 sec after I shut down. So yeah, it was the car, lol... Funny how sounds can be so ambiguous.

Anyways, what could be causing this whine? Is the fuel pump on the drivers side?

Well thanks for the help guys!

DM
Old 05-25-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

It could be rear axle whine that only occurs at certain speeds---check you speedometer when you hear the noise again.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bird Man
It could be rear axle whine that only occurs at certain speeds---check you speedometer when you hear the noise again.
Unfortunately I can not take that into consideration because I was at a stop sign when it happened one out of the three times, so I was not in motion, but none the less thank for the input

DM
Old 05-25-2009, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

sounds like your powersteering pump acting up. Give the fluid level a check to see if it leaked out of the cap like mine did
Old 05-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Konstantine16
sounds like your powersteering pump acting up. Give the fluid level a check to see if it leaked out of the cap like mine did
Will do, thanks for the idea!

DM
Old 05-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Fuel pump...is still a suspect.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Konstantine16
Well the PS seems fine. The little bit that I drove it today, I got no issues so who knows. Hell, even the lights that were giving me issues in the gauge cluster behind the RPM and MPH came back on

DM
Old 05-28-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2nd the fuel pump because the will run a second or so after shut down-
Old 05-28-2009, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Might be problems with your electrical system in the car, sorry but I cannot think of anything else besides maybe fuel pump dieing or that from the noise your describing.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Teching In

I think I've had the same noise. My mothers 98 malibu was making it, and also my v6 firebird. Same exact sound. Kinda like a howling sound, it was wierd, it did sound like it was a building when i first heard it. Mostly hear it when we're at a drive threw. I'm also thinking its the fuel pump.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Banned

Yeah, I am thinking the same (fuel pump), but it has not happened since... One thing is different about the day it happened; I had been cruising around for a good 2 hours, lol, I like to try and get myself lost in parts of the city I have never been in , so maybe it was due to excessive city driving, I don't know, but like I said, it has not happened since.

Thanks guys for all the input!

DM
Old 05-29-2009, 12:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is most likley the fuel pump, that is the only thing that will really make a noise from behind the car when it is still.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
It is most likley the fuel pump, that is the only thing that will really make a noise from behind the car when it is still.
Well it first happened while I was driving, so....

DM

Quick Reply: Weird whining noise from driver-side rear