Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

fog light question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fog light question

hey guys i recently got an 01 t/a and im just curious if there is a way to run around with the fog lights on but the headlights down? any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Yeah there is.
Just turn on your running lights but not your headlights, then turn on your fogs.

Had some fog last night so I tested out my new Silverstar ultra bulbs.
Pretty nice, I could use these almost like headlights.
They look nasty with the switchback LED DRLs.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhereman
Yeah there is.
Just turn on your running lights but not your headlights, then turn on your fogs.
That's how mine work as well.
Make sure you never substitute driving in rain/darkness with these and not your headlights. It isn't legal in most states. Some have posted here over the years about receiving citations around dusk or dawn. If just for looks during the daylight hours, it is a nice look.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

see thats cool i didnt know that. i had my fog light button on and turned the running lights on but the headlights came up and i didnt like that. i saw in a lot of pics on the sight that guys were able to have the fogs on without the headlights up so i figured there was a way. my cobalt that i just got rid of you had to turn the turn signal switch to "auto lights off" then push the button for the fogs. gm always has a way, it just sometimes requires a certain process of button pushing to achieve. thanks for the info guys! much appreciated.

well i tried that. still didnt work. soon as i flip my switch to running lights, my headlights pop up. dislike!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by NoSloZ_1
well i tried that. still didnt work. soon as i flip my switch to running lights, my headlights pop up. dislike!
That's odd.

The switch has 3 positions; off, then the next click on should turn on your parking lights without the headlights popping up, and if you turn on the fog lights they should come on too, the 3rd click raises the headlights and turns them on.

And in reverse order, if you click the light switch all the way on so the headlights come up and on, then you turn it back one click the headlights should go off but the doors stay up and running/fog lights stay on. Then the doors only close when you switch all the way off.

That way you can raise the doors but turn the headlights off so you can wash them without their being hot.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got stopped my a Trooper once for driving with just my driving lights. I told him I didn't even notice the headlights weren't on since I was driving in town. I leaned forward to look for the headlights, say "I'll be damned, they sure didn't come up!" Turned the switch to off then all the way on. They came up and I apologized. Didn't even get a warning or course words! Gotta know how to fool an officer sometimes. Kinda like Rollin your 5% tinted windows all the way down when you get pulled over. ;-)
Old 01-08-2012, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NoSloZ_1
does your headlights make a growling noise when they go down? it sounds to me like you have a motor gear that is stripping out

I had a gear that was stripped out and caused my headlights to pop up when I turned the driving lights on .. I suggest buying the brass gears and replacing them
Old 01-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

my switch only has two positions other than off. soon as i click it once to parking lights, the lights pop up but the headlights dont come on. they come on soon as i turn it once more.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:34 AM
On The Tree

What WS6_101 said...sounds like u have a headlight motor issue.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

This is odd to me, I just flip the fog light button below the light switch and the foglights turn on regardless of the headlight switch position. Wonder if they changed something in the later years.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:20 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't forget the high beam/fog light mod:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/3226262-post2.html
Old 01-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

yea my driver side headlight has the gears stripped out of it. i need to replace both sides with the bronze gears or whatever.

Quick Reply: fog light question