Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

68 firebird t top or targa?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 firebird t top or targa?

Thinking about going targa top or t tops with my 68 birdy.
I've seen one, anyone see a company that sells a conversion, or just does them?
Old 03-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nah- I would be interested in seeing pics. My first thought is they would not flow but I like them on a 5th so who knows? I would stay away from a targa top.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

i'm not sure a t-top first gen would look good. i dont think it would flow well with the body
Old 03-08-2012, 10:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant find pictures but I remember an Ebay ad from a few years ago, a guy had a prototype Hurst First Gen Camaro with T-Tops, installed by Hust (so he says, but had a lot of documentation.)
Old 03-08-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

That doesn't sound like it would look very good. Plus I hate to see a 1st gen cut up. But hey, it's your car...post pics if you do it!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Launching!

I've never heard of a prototype 1st gen hurst t top car- would love to see it.

I have seen the 'fitchbird' before and it did not have t tops.

Come to think of it- the George Barris 'Superteen'
Cars built in 68 might have had t tops
Old 03-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Launching!

http://www.firebirdtoys.com/firebirdmodels/610.jpg

Link to a model kit that shows T tops on custom 68
Old 03-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would recommend doing some photo shop editing first if you don't find an example to reference.

Personally, I'd have to agree with MiniLSX about the lines not flowing well. The clash I'm envisioning is the fact that a first gen has rear windows and is a hard top. Cars with either t-tops or targa tops typically have a vertical c pillar. Your car doesn't, and when the windows are down/ roof is off the "leaning forward" roof section might look weird.

Would you shave off the drip rails? Would you have a roof section made, or would it be a permanent open car?

But this is not to say you shouldn't do it. It's you car, go for it if you want. And, if you change your mind restoration parts are available to return your car to stock. I speak from experience. I'm sure the Pontiac purists would have a fit if they saw all the mods I'm doing to my '67.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...39&action=view
Old 03-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Banned Scammer

targa all the way. go custom.
chop it off urself. you can use the ttop lock-in idea...
use the same brackets as used in the 92-02 f bodies and weld them at the same/or close too the same position as they are on the fbodies.
then youll have to fab up some kind of locking mechanism to go on the targa.
i wouldnt attemp to do a glass one, just stick with the sheet metal. as for weather stripping. use your creativity
Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure of the construction of 1st gens, but I have heard issues with 4th and 5th gens that the structural integrity would be compromised by a T-top or Targa. I wouldn't want to crash any car, but one that had been cut might really hurt you unnecessarily.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

I personally wouldn't do either, it won't likely look very good.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Raleigh TA
I am not sure of the construction of 1st gens, but I have heard issues with 4th and 5th gens that the structural integrity would be compromised by a T-top or Targa. I wouldn't want to crash any car, but one that had been cut might really hurt you unnecessarily.
The first (and second) gens have a bolt in subframe up front. They rely on structure from the sheet metal (front outer fenders, inner fenders, braces, etc) this is why it's critical on these cars to not start removing these parts. As for underneath the car, the only thing I'm aware the factory added was an "x brace" for structure on convertibles. supposedly, the convertibles had thicker sheet metal in places, but I'd have to research that more. (the "cocktail shakers" were dampeners to reduce vibration on convertibles, they were non structural)

Now, we all know the first gens did not have t-tops, but the second gens did- 6 years after they came out. they were obviously not originally designed for them. The original "Hurst Hatches" were designed for another car/ roofline. As such, they leaked badly. The Fisher brand t-tops were not much better. Either t-top design were more prone to flex and this is why drag racers prefer the non t-top models. Same for the third gens.

Now, the 4th gens were actually designed with the T-tops from day one. I know this for fact as I had a discussion with one of the 4th gen designers when I took transportation design in school. Also, this is why it's so easy to add the t-tops to a non t-top car- the structure is already there. All you're doing is peeling away the skin and adding the components.

I have no factual information on the 5th gens, but, seeing that they have not offered them by now, I would conclude that they are not intending for them as they have drop down airbags, etc where the t-tops would otherwise be.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by tuske427; 03-20-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: 68 firebird t top or targa?