Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Looking for 2002 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Looking for 2002 WS6

hey guys , i've been part of ls1tech for awhile now i've always been in the ls4 section cause i have a 06 monte carlo SS.

I'm looking for a firebird WS6 and want to know some of the common problems to look for when purchasing onee

Of course i'll be going threw the threads but would just like some input so i have abit to look for.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Common problems are slow window motors, problems with the pop up lights, and oil leaking from the rear main seal. But they are worth the minor problems.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:01 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan C
Common problems are slow window motors, problems with the pop up lights, and oil leaking from the rear main seal. But they are worth the minor problems.
These are just inherit "problems" with any 4th gen. Even if one buys a car that this stuff doesn't seem to be a problem, it will happen. Easy stuff, but just expect it.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The door panel almost always cracks at the back of the door, the T-top's leak eventually even if you've never used the sunblock partitions, there are phantom rattles that will pop up over time, the head light motors will either go out or the teeth will break off the gears, ***** on the radio and dash are cheap feeling and will break if given too much torque, and the seat leather is soft and will scratch if subjected to, say, a screwdriver you've left in your back pocket.

Would I trade my car in just because of these things? Only for a BMW Alpina B7.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Another common problem, at least for me, is wanting to spend every dime i earn doing something to it
Old 03-23-2012, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure it is a True WS6 and not a clone
Old 03-24-2012, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Buy the best example that you can afford. I've owned mine since new and really not much to complain about. I am now approaching 30,000 miles so it is not heavily used. Problems requiring repair include: 1) the rear pinion seal leaking (inexpensive and replaced the fluid while being done),2) a catalytic converter went bad (common issue for some). That's it, besides a PCV getting clogged. Not bad for all these years. No issues with cracking panels or headlights or window motors yet. All fluids have been replaced along with the fuel filter for optimum upkeep. That's why I stress to get the nicest well-maintained example out there if you can swing it. Buying a heavily modded beaten example will cost you in the long run. These are wonderful rear wheel drive cars and ultra reliable if not abused. Good luck with your search!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Teching In

another common problem, well for me is the day time run lights keeps burning out so fast. there is a fix for that but haven't got around to it yet.

Quick Reply: Looking for 2002 WS6