Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Pic Intensive:Should I Pull the trigger on this killer project?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pic Intensive:Should I Pull the trigger on this killer project?

hey everybody well I have a 1998 Firebird Formula. Ive been doing a little restoration on it since it was neglected horribly by the po.

Well my aunt has this 1975 Firebird Esprit.Shes letting it go for $400. She tells me that when she first had the car a friend of hers told her that he would do a half-overhaul for $500. Not sure what was and was not changed. well she says that when she got the car back she started it and drove it around the block and it died. So she managed to turn it on and parked it on her property and hasnt moved it ever since. So far its gone to ****. all I know is that theres no water in the oil and that it still has coolant. I was planning on purchasing the car for a project(1-4Years) my question is should I get it? I was planning on cloning it into a Trans-Am.Or am i just wating my time? has like 60,000 miles.here are the pics.

Input Appreciated
Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

id do it lol throw in a 5.3 with a turbo and forget about it haha just needs to be cleaned up a bit and some body work and interior.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to pour cold water on it...but, it looks like a money pit to me. If you have about $15K -$20K and plenty of time, it will be pretty cool. It is just not going to be cheap, and when you get done, it will not be worth much for sale as it will not be stock. '75 wasn't a banner year for the TA, so even if you restored it to original, it won't command what some other years would. Most folks would not invest that much in a car unless it had a lot of sentimental value, like it was their first car.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Well I had plans on it being a project car. I would just hate to see another firebird go down.right now Im a college student making very little a week working full time. i have nowhere near enough time or money.I know it wont be any time soon tho. I just want to get it out of there before it completely rots to crap.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98PurpleF-Bird
Well I had plans on it being a project car. I would just hate to see another firebird go down.right now Im a college student making very little a week working full time. i have nowhere near enough time or money.I know it wont be any time soon tho. I just want to get it out of there before it completely rots to crap.
Then run far away and wait until you are in a position to get it or one similar that might not be as in bad condition.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Teching In

lol..thats to far gone man!!!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

I have quite a few project cars or "roundtoits" of my own that are like that firebird. I finally have my own shop & after 3 yrs I still can't get my own cars into my own shop. Its saddening to see a cool car like that going to waste irregardless if its a popular year or not.
I think its all relative to your time & finances & how far you want to go. I have quite a few customers that have come to me asking my opinion on a similure project (something they can pickup cheap but needs alot of work) and my answer is the same. If your building it as an investment - pass! Unless its some rare pedigree, NOS muscle car. But if you truely like the car for whatever reason (i.e. - it was just like your 1st car, or is your 1st car and you never plan on selling it) don't put a time line on it and build it as time. finance permits - someday it will get done. You could gut it and build a inexpensive bracket racer and have fun with it. However if you just don't have the time to devote or the finances to put into it right now - walk away, or clean the cobwebs off of it, clean it up as best as you can and see if you flip it for another $150-200.00 At least it may possibly go to someone else that really has their sites set on building it. How many times have we all come across some neat ol car rotting away somewhere and inquired about it only to hear the person respond - It's not for sale - Imma restore it someday!!
Old 09-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't do it. If you pour $5k into it, then change your mind( and you will) you just lost time and money. It's a lost cause man, let someone else make the mistake of buying it!

Quick Reply: Pic Intensive:Should I Pull the trigger on this killer project?