Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Racing Seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Seats

So my seats are probably coming down from their prime, and I'm planning for the replacement now rather then later, I have a general idea of a brand, probably either Momo or Sparco. Now here's the real question, i plan on removing the factory belts because the driver side safety thing doesn't work over half the time.. I would love to do a 4point, nothing serious since this is my Daily.I don't plan on a roll cage either, so this brings the question. Where do the shoulder straps get mounted to? I know that the lap part goes to the factory floor bolts. Can I mount the shoulder straps to the floor where the factory bolts to the floor to the appropriate sides Like left - left right - right? Obviously not crossing in the back..
Old 10-10-2012, 05:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

You're fine up until you have an accident.

It can cause spinal compression because the belts are going straight to the floor. Most of the holes on these race seats are even with or below your shoulders and when the belts just go straight down, it'll pull you down.

Most belts are not DOT approved, so you'll have to find some that are approved and install it properly. If it isn't DOT approved, you can still get nailed for a ticket. You can get a harness bar or do a roll bar with a cross bar for the harnesses.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:27 AM
Teching In

The spinal compression theory is only half true. I'll try to find the link I've seen that has the most information about racing harnesses for the street.

Now the main thing is the shoulder belts I believe have to be at no greater than 20° angle from parallel to the ground. BUT there is an exception kinda what you were hinting towards, in my RSX I have a G-Force 4 point with the shoulder belts bolted down on the rear seats where the rear seatbelts are bolted. This does create an angle greater than 20°. The reason for me of why it's not a cause for concern is because I am not too tall (5' 10") and so the opening of my seat where the shoulder belts go thru is at least an inch above my shoulders, the belts are not resting on the top of my shoulder. Therefore, for my application there will be no spinal compression it will be tightening down on the seat.

Two other items to consider.

The reason there are some DOT approved 4 point harnesses and some are not is because the DOT approved ones have much more stretch in them like a traditional stock seatbelt, designed to work with your airbag. The non dot approved ones will work, you may feel more of the impact I would assume but as long as you set it up right it should still work with your airbag.

You have to make sure your seat is strong enough to withstand forces of the shoulder belts pressing down on it, most stock seats cannot and most aftermarket seats are designed to withstand these forces, unless it's some offbrand junk.

I would also recommend a harness bar but DO NOT let anyone sit in the back seats if you do that.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElGuapoK20
The spinal compression theory is only half true. I'll try to find the link I've seen that has the most information about racing harnesses for the street.

Now the main thing is the shoulder belts I believe have to be at no greater than 20° angle from parallel to the ground. BUT there is an exception kinda what you were hinting towards, in my RSX I have a G-Force 4 point with the shoulder belts bolted down on the rear seats where the rear seatbelts are bolted. This does create an angle greater than 20°. The reason for me of why it's not a cause for concern is because I am not too tall (5' 10") and so the opening of my seat where the shoulder belts go thru is at least an inch above my shoulders, the belts are not resting on the top of my shoulder. Therefore, for my application there will be no spinal compression it will be tightening down on the seat.

Two other items to consider.

The reason there are some DOT approved 4 point harnesses and some are not is because the DOT approved ones have much more stretch in them like a traditional stock seatbelt, designed to work with your airbag. The non dot approved ones will work, you may feel more of the impact I would assume but as long as you set it up right it should still work with your airbag.

You have to make sure your seat is strong enough to withstand forces of the shoulder belts pressing down on it, most stock seats cannot and most aftermarket seats are designed to withstand these forces, unless it's some offbrand junk.

I would also recommend a harness bar but DO NOT let anyone sit in the back seats if you do that.
Could you.post a pic of your setup?
I would love to do the 4-point. I have seen cars, a few F-Bodys with the harnesess in a stock interior
Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

ElGuapoK20, that's why I said "Most of the holes on these race seats are even with or below your shoulders and when the belts just go straight down, it'll pull you down."

It would probably be best to use a fixed back seat for added rigidity.

The reason I mentioned DOT approved is that some LEO's will give you a ticket for non DOT approved harnesses.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WarShrike
ElGuapoK20, that's why I said "Most of the holes on these race seats are even with or below your shoulders and when the belts just go straight down, it'll pull you down."

It would probably be best to use a fixed back seat for added rigidity.

The reason I mentioned DOT approved is that some LEO's will give you a ticket for non DOT approved harnesses.
Ya my apologies, I was being a newb and just skimmed through your post. And agreed, I've heard of people getting tickets for their seatbelt not being DOT approved, hell you may even get a ticket with a DOT approved one because they won't know any better and you'll have to prove it in court. I've had the harness in for 4 years or so, though I've never been pulled over in this timeframe so I can't say whether I'd get in trouble or not.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where can i fin one of those bars for the sholder straps? and where do they mont to? im only 5'10" as well and i kinda sit slouched in my seat, why? idk lol it seems i always slide down, both in my TA and in my S10

The harness bar would be fine, since im running a 17x11 in the back and have her lowered 2" i cant really have anyone over 140LBS combined in the car or the tires will rub in the fender well going over bumps. its good and bad because it keeps my interior near perfect and the ******* friends wont destroy it lol but sucks cause you cant roll with friends in there with you

does the harness bar require custome fabrication or is it a simple bolt on?

This is what im talking about, since their are 4 bolt holes, can i bolt them to the two side ones from factory. where the buckle and floor bolt is factory on the f-body's

And yes i know this is a 5 point, dont really want to take the effort to edit another picture lol but the concept is the same.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

6LE has it.
http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=209
Old 10-10-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

where does it bold to? the bolts for the rear seat belts?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

That's correct.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's correct.
Well that is actually a really good thing, if need be it is reversible. I just can't see how a steel bar is 300 without powder coat.. lol -me being cheap lol

Quick Reply: Racing Seats