Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Question about purchasing Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about purchasing Trans Am

I'm in the marketing for a WS6. I've wanted one since I was a kid. Especially from 98-02. I was a junior in HS when those cars first hit the market.

Recently I've come into some money and I want to finally own my dream car, but I can't seem to find one that I like from 98-02 in the price range I want that is manual, or if I do they're already sold. haha.

Would buying an auto trans be worth it? There are 3 or 4 of those I like, but as said, they are auto trans. Should I just hold out and keep looking for the manual trans?

Other than the obvious shifting difference, am I looking at any significant differences in performance?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with an auto car, with a proper tune it will shift nice and firm. Also, you never have to worry about missing a shift, and blowing up the rear end is a lot less likely.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:10 PM
92v
Teching In

I only wanted a manual and searched until I found one I could afford. There are quite a few nice automatics around here, but I ended up driving a couple of hundred miles to get a manual.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Launching!

No real performance differences, it's about what you want and what you intend to use it for. If a daily driver in traffic or you want the best drag times.... Go A4. If you want the thrill of auto cross or zipping thru windy roads or just full control of shifting... Then manual. I would maybe say maintenance on the auto trans is less.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

I almost ended up just going with an auto since I wasn't finding any stick LS1's in my area, but one popped up at the right time, so it was worth the wait. IMO if you want an all around more fun car (mine's my DD and it's still fun), go with the 6 speed, the A4's are alright after some decent work though, especially on the dragstrip.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So, let's say I decide to buy an auto because it has everything I could want, minus the actual transmission.

Is it that hard to do a transmission swap? This will be my first car I plan on "working on." By that I mean more than just routine stuff (changing oil, simple stuff.)

I know there's a few threads on here about doing the swap, but as a first timer, I'm wondering if it might be too much for me to handle or what?

Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If you want a manual do NOT settle for an auto or you will probably regret it down the road.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A4 here, love my bad orange WS6 A4, but some guys will look in and say; Eww it's an Auto. If you really want the M6 Trans Am, just be patient and I guarantee that 1 will pop up but think about color too, I hear people say they really wanted the red one, or whatever. I wanted a clean titled Orange one, and sure enough it finally popped up - but was an A4! Now I just love the car, period!

Oh yea, don't fret about flying out somewhere to pick up your car and driving it back. I drove mine a few years ago from FL to TX! Enjoyed every minute of it. Not sure where you are at but CA cars are close to stock, can't be modded. Florida cars are usually in great shape due to the average age of drivers out there. Good luck
Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Just bought '02 WS6 6-speed. Had Auto 1998 and I gotta tell you, for driving fun, 6-speed is the way to go. Just so you know, I'm a senior citizen but long time hot rodder and this car is a ball to tool around in.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:56 PM

I live in Texas. I'm not opposed to driving out for one, if I can find one worth driving out for so I can take the time off. My price point is under 10k (I'd prefer to stay around 8k.) I'm not looking for anything immaculate, I know I'll have to put some work in it, it's actually part of the reason I'm so enthused out getting one.

It's just really frustrating because I decide I finally want to throw some money down on a car and I can't find one I like. I was really getting to the point where I'd just buy an automatic and be done with it, but maybe i'll look around a little bit more.

If anyone knows anyone looking to sell a 98-02 WS6 for around 8k and it's a manual, point them in my direction.

96grnws6 - thanks for the heads up, but I'm definitely looking for an ls1.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

when I was in the market for an LS1 car. I only wanted a 6 spd. I wouldn't settle for an auto. I love my manual. A lot of fun to drive. An auto is more consistent in drag. But I don't think as challenging.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

As been posted already, DO NOT SETTLE!
Patience is key. What's the rush? I'm glad to hear you are willing to travel. That is very important when your goals are specific, in this case a manual tranny. Look at cars priced right up to $10,000 because these are asking prices. You have $8,000 cash in hand, trust me, the seller will seriously think about it. Good luck with your search.
By the way, this example below is what I am talking about. Get a WS6 hood if you must and you're in business.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=12&Log=0
Old 01-30-2013, 06:33 PM

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I was actually going to do just that and wait, but last night I actually came across a 2000 WS6 black on black for just under my max price and it's also a manual.

Going to purchase it on Friday. Interior could use some work, but otherwise it's solid and I'm really excited about finally getting it and getting to work on it.

Speaking of which, where do I even begin looking to find where the best places to find new stuff would be? Like new interior pieces (dashboard, gauges, arm rest, etc.) and engine pieces? I'm new to the whole f-body thing so this is going to be all new for me.

Thanks everyone for the help so far!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Congrats on the purchase. Post up some pics when you get her home. I think 6litereater has some of the interior stuff you want. Keep an eye on craigslist and the classifieds for good OEM parts as well for the interior. I am not sure what you mean by engine pieces but the classifieds here have lots of good used power adders and stuff.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I like an auto but your vibe says you want a stick so wait for what you want imo. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

I waited for my M6 and its TOTALLY worth it. I love driving it, and was lucky enough I only had to drive about an hour away to get it. Given, mines not a ws6 and I know how hard it is to find a nice LS1 WS6 M6 but I'd wait for one over an A4 any day.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Banned

Any WS6 in good shape with low mileage is not going to be cheap.I just bought a 01 with 38k miles on it cost 14k, bone stock never touched. Gotta really look at these cars close , there can be lots of hidden troubles. Everything needs to be checked over carefully by someone knowledgable in these cars.

I'd personally like buying from new car dealers, they usually only sell the best condition used cars. Small used car dealers and private deals can be very messy unless you know the people well. I just got ripped by a small used car dealer on a Camaro, you just don't know what you are buying until you drive it a while.

BEE sure to buy from reputable people and get a GOOD warranty!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Love having another T56 but sucks the way the slave/master cyliders are on these cars, my pedal sits on the floor after 3 WOT shifts after the drill mod, not looking forward to buying a new master but when I do clutch and get my trans fixed I don't plan on breaking it again... just my .02 on M6s
Old 02-09-2013, 04:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP - please post pics. Good thing you held out for an M6.

When looking to buy, the right one will always pop up. The more time you have, the closer you will get to exactly the one you've dreamt about.

Quick Reply: Question about purchasing Trans Am