Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

spohn or umi?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default spohn or umi?

I'm looking online at Sub frame connectors and strut tower bars and they are similar in design and very close on the price. Any preference or suggestions?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Phil
I'm looking online at Sub frame connectors and strut tower bars and they are similar in design and very close on the price. Any preference or suggestions?
Try a search in the suspension section.
Generally IMO after I've seen many spohn products break (not that you have to worry about SFC's breaking) and the poor customer service, I wouldn't do business with them. UMI on the other hand is great all around.
Now more specially to what you are looking for, the STB does nothing for these cars, that might as well be a proven fact.
SFC's are arguable on whether they stiffen the chassis enough to be noticeable. You will see that the guys that say they saw a difference are on shitty shocks, and the ones that don't notice a difference are on good shocks, this is no coincidence. The perceived "flex" they are feeling is poor, mismatched dampening making the car feel loose, sloppy, disconnected and at the same time jarring. - not actual flex, but the shocks not doing a well enough job making the car feel like a noodle.
Im not saying SFC's are "bad", but if you want a solid feeling, tied-together car you wont get that without good shocks (this means higher end sport shocks like Konis, not cheap autozone shocks or drag shocks).
I have 3pt SFCs welded in and noticed nothing, and I drive my car hard (backroads + occasional autox). The konis on the other hand made the biggest difference of any mod Ive done.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:23 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

UMI over Spohn. I had an item from Spohn that was welded way off and they refused to even consider they made it wrong. It wouldn't even bolt in place.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UMI all the way. I have nothing but UMI head to toe on my fbody and I love it.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok umi it is, so rather than waste money on sfc or stb, just get better shocks springs and upgrade my sway bars?
Old 02-13-2013, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My previous car had all UMI aswell. Quality products for a good price. They post here pretty often and always offer help when needed which is a big plus in my book.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome I'll have to check the vendor area and see if they have any deals
Old 02-13-2013, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I installed Spohn weld in subframe connects and Founders strut tower brace. Prices were good, products are good. No complaints in any way, fit and finish nice. I went with black.

I'm installing ST (suspension Technologies) anti-sway bars next week...they are cheaper but heavier than Strano tho. And I will be installing Founders adj panhead bar, lower control arms and brackets in next few weeks.

I'm editing this to agree with above JD_AMG comments about no noticeable differences. True. Even the annoying rattle in my T-top is the same after the subframe connects - I thought it may remove some of it. I'm just at that stage of my car where I want to focus on suspension for a few weeks.

Last edited by RJDio; 02-13-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lemme know how those st work for u, I'm thinking about getting the hotchkis front and rear sways on mine
Old 02-14-2013, 12:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have J&M weld in subframe connectors. Just another consideration...
Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the the recommendations everyone, we appreciate it!

Sway bars and shocks will be much more noticeable than SFC's and a STB. The SFC's and STB are more of a insurance item.

Our sway bar kits are priced right and the sizes are matched up correctly.

If I can help anymore please let me know. Thanks!
Ryan
Old 02-14-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lemme know how those st work for u, I'm thinking about getting the hotchkis front and rear sways on mine
there are hollow sway bar options, may cost more but if you plan on racing is something to consider. Isn't an issue for me, my car is in semi-retirement
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok umi it is, so rather than waste money on sfc or stb, just get better shocks springs and upgrade my sway bars?
If you want handling then yes. Shocks will make the biggest difference out of anything else you could do (other than tires ofcourse). -again Im talking about proper shocks made for handling, for example Koni SAs. Next biggest difference being springs and swaybars, then a wattslink. Pretty much every other mod makes a miniscule difference at best in comparison (assuming the rest of the suspension is is proper working order, like your bushings are not shot or a control arm isn't bent or something).
Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no complaints with any of the UMI parts I put on my old TA
Old 02-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

The whole underside of my car is UMI red, great stuff and made in the USA!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome thanks for the replies
Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RJDio
I installed Spohn weld in subframe connects and Founders strut tower brace. Prices were good, products are good. No complaints in any way, fit and finish nice. I went with black.

I'm installing ST (suspension Technologies) anti-sway bars next week...they are cheaper but heavier than Strano tho. And I will be installing Founders adj panhead bar, lower control arms and brackets in next few weeks.

I'm editing this to agree with above JD_AMG comments about no noticeable differences. True. Even the annoying rattle in my T-top is the same after the subframe connects - I thought it may remove some of it. I'm just at that stage of my car where I want to focus on suspension for a few weeks.
If you want to get rid of rattles get some better shocks.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

my ws6 has umi frame ties and suspension mods...i really like them
Old 02-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by eteller
The whole underside of my car is UMI red, great stuff and made in the USA!
my ws6 has the same, it was like that when i bought it, i really like how it handles..i dont know much about umi are they a good brand? everything under mines umi red

Quick Reply: spohn or umi?