General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn signal relay

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal relay

I've been trying to find a pic of the turn signal relay. I know the general location is on the right side under the driver knee panel. Ggrrrrrrr. Any help is A+
Old 03-15-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I might need to look into this as well, my blinkers don't blink, they flash if I push the signal stick up or down, but they don't blink, its just one solid light unlessi manually click it over and over....

what issues the op is having bit if this fixes both our issues at same time then sweet deal lol
Old 03-15-2013, 10:47 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Please let us know what vehicle this is for.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Assuming it's the 4th gen in your avatar, this video will help:
The following users liked this post:
sts103 (04-02-2023)
Old 03-15-2013, 11:01 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I'd like to remind you newer guys that you need to mention what car & year you ask help for. This is NOT the 4th gen forum, it's the 1967-2002 Firebird forum.

OR, make a sig that shows your ride(s).
Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just bought a new flasher relay. they are cheap, but there are also more expensive electronic switch ones that really aren't necessary, but reading the marketing and packaging makes it seem like you need it. I bought the cheapest one and prob won't need to replace for another 10 years, it isn't like they go bad often. Just a FYI.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I always use the loud version.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:17 PM

could just be a bad bulb. If it's just one turn signal, chances are you have a bulb burned out. If it's both signals, my money is on the relay.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I'd like to remind you newer guys that you need to mention what car & year you ask help for. This is NOT the 4th gen forum, it's the 1967-2002 Firebird forum.

OR, make a sig that shows your ride(s).
. Sorry about that. I'm used to my section of the site being C5 Vettes and 4th gen f-bodies. It's an 02 WS6. I'm also used to seeing block relays with 2 prongs. No bulbs are out and the hazards work so I'm sure it's the relay. My Ram did this and it was a piece of cake to find.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:46 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

No prob Cop. I'm just trying to keep the confusion down to a dull roar.

Did the video help?
Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the vid. Now I know what it looks like.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mr Phil
Yea I might need to look into this as well, my blinkers don't blink, they flash if I push the signal stick up or down, but they don't blink, its just one solid light unlessi manually click it over and over....

what issues the op is having bit if this fixes both our issues at same time then sweet deal lol
my 2001 WS6 does the same thing. Do you know if it is the relay for sure
Old 03-31-2013, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

^^. It was the relay, just as I thought. Seeing the vid (thank you ! ) made it real easy to find. It's hidden under the panel lip. Make sure the replacement relay has the correct prong size. The counter guy gave me one and upon comparison of the prongs there was a slight spacing difference. So, I asked for other options with a replacement and found a sweet one.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i used this video as well and it helped but it didnt lol... all i did was switch the hazard relay with the turn signal relay and now both the hazards and the blinkers work... only problem is the front bulb still isnt blinking with either the turn signal or hazards. i pulled out the bulb and both filaments are still in tact. so i think i might just go buy another bulb and see if its the bulb or there is some kind of connection issue with the front bulbs.

also i might add that the passenger side bulb, housing and connection are not there, its just an open wire, so idk if both sides are dependent of each other like a closed circuit in order for one to work they both have to work? either way once i find me a junk yard or something i can pull a blinker assembly from ill look further into this issue
Old 05-07-2013, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Phil, sounds like the DRL socket is fried. I got one at autozone that fit perfect.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CopMagnet
Phil, sounds like the DRL socket is fried. I got one at autozone that fit perfect.
u Have a part number?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

u Have a part number?
I replaced it last summer, so no. But there should be a section in the store with all those types of things. I brought in my fried one to compare. The best way to replace is to solder and heat shrink. Also , glob die electric grease or some good all purpose grease in all your bulb fittings, after cleaning all of them. It'll be a great A+. The factory should've and didn't. I used silicone spray and small wire brushes.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Also, there is a thread somewhere about how to bypass the DRLs so they only function as blinkers and marker lights with headlights, running lights on. I'm gonna try the defeat the resistor method rather than cutting a wire.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need a blinker relay
Old 11-18-2019, 08:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Chlly Chill
you need a blinker relay
Somehow I think he got it fixed sometime during the last six years since the last post. Besides, having a bulb burned out will cause the turn signals to stay on solid rather than flashing because the turn signal flasher (it's not a relay) doesn't get enough current flow to cause the internal points to cycle. The same thing happens when you replace the factory incandescent bulbs with LEDs - they don't draw enough current so they won't flash and you have to add resistors or change to an electronic flasher to get them working.

Quick Reply: Turn signal relay