Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Trans am convertible conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans am convertible conversion

So I'm very close to buying a beautiful 99 T/A, but It's a convertible and I was more feeling t-tops to be honest. How much would it cost to convert it and out T-tops on?
Old 09-09-2013, 09:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukesevi94
So I'm very close to buying a beautiful 99 T/A, but It's a convertible and I was more feeling t-tops to be honest. How much would it cost to convert it and out T-tops on?
I just looked at the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1.
For heaven's sake don't buy a 'vert if you don't like them. It's amazing you even settled on one with so few around anymore. T-tops are a dime a dozen so just get one. A conversion would be crazy expensive.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 235 Likes on 186 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by NC01TA
A conversion would be crazy expensive.
Not to mention trashing any resale value, if it could even be done.

Want T-tops? Buy a T-top car. Leave the 'verts to those of us who appreciate putting the top down.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Teching In

I'm with them. I'm pretty sure that all LS1 Trans Am's are T-Tops. I have an LT1 and it's the hard top. (want t-tops bad though) I toyed with the idea of converting that. But, with what it would cost, might as well just get one with them!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Teching In

I'd wait for t-tops if I were you. If you get this car, you'll lust for a t-top model and you'll have buyer's remorse.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

I got an instant migraine just thinking about the cost of such a project! Not that I could even think of having a reason to attempt it, but is this even possible under any circumstance?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 173 Likes on 155 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I bought a 2001 Firebird convertible several summers ago and hated it. I had it for 3 weeks before trading it in and getting a t-top TA. If you've never ridden in a convertible, make sure you really like it before you buy. If not, keep looking.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:45 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Not to mention after buying this car, you'd have to find a donor t-top car that you could cut the top structure off of.....so see how close you'd have to be to a t-top car if you bought the convertible? Just wait for the right t-top car.

I'm not a convertible guy either, but agree with those that are....it'll be way too much work to turn one into a t-top car.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:54 AM
Teching In

Default Need help (I'm a car newbie)

Okay so I've always had a huge passion for cars, but never had the opportunity to get a fast one. I'm finally days away from getting one, and I have 2 options. An almost completely stock 98 T/A ws6 convertible, only mods a short throw shifter and magma flow exhaust, or a 99 T/A with a cammed ls6 swap. Dynoed at 438 rwhp and 456 rwtq. So it's a beast. However, it has a list of issues, he stated that:
Needs a new headliner/carpet
Fuel pump just went out
Needs a tune
he said headlight gear on drvr side is worn but still opens and closes
And last thing he just texted me left wheel well. Not sure what that means.

So before you guys ask, no I'm not handy with a car. Never gotten a chance to work on one. I want to learn, but I just got out of boot camp and my next few years as a bottom of the barrel military I won't have the time to.

So basically, my question is, how much would it cost me to fix all that stuff? And which car would you choose? Both are same distance from me, both are m6's, both have clean carfaxes. The stock one is black on black convertible, asking 9700 w/ 75k Miles. The ls6 swap is white w/ t-tops, 133k on body 30k on motor.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Oh and ls6 swap is asking 9k
Old 09-10-2013, 01:59 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like your at a time in your lifer where you need something reliable and the ls6 swap sounds like something thats been rode HARD; and hes trying to unload it. If its already dynoed. Why does it need a tune? whats changed? IMO in your situation id go with the convertible. As you get time you can do easy mods and work your way up from there. Ive never owned a convertible but would be concerned about one this old. Does it leak etc etc
Old 09-10-2013, 02:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

convertibles suck. see if you can get the price down.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trevmust
convertibles suck. see if you can get the price down.
I'm not a fan of verts either, but in your situation I think I'd rather have a convertible over someone else's sloppy seconds
Old 09-10-2013, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Wow!! I didn't hear Lukesevi94 asking for personal opinions on whether people liked 'verts or not. How insulting can you get?
As stated in one of the more reasonable responses above, the modded car is a potential 'money pit'. You don't need an aggravating ownership experience that will drain your hard earned $$$. A stock 'vert with decent mileage is definitely the way to go here out of the two cars you chose. If the owner's asking price is $9,700 there is no reason why you can't own it for a price around $8,500 - $9,000. Bring cash in hand and he won't turn it down. Just make sure the top works OK and check for tears or threads coming loose. I've been around 'verts since the 70's and own two right now. See below. Feel free to PM for detailed info and any assistance you might need. If you like 'verts, get one.
Good luck!!
Attachment 417286

Attachment 417287

Last edited by NC01TA; 10-03-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Wow!! I didn't hear Lukesevi94 asking for personal opinions on whether people liked 'verts or not. How insulting can you get?
I don't think it was anyone's intent to insult him, convertibles are usually a love it or hate it type of thing, so invariably asking advice on a decision between a coupe or a vert will bring some opinion into the mix.

As I stated, I'm not a fan of convertibles, but if I had the option of a mint vert or a used up hard top, I'd take a vert and enjoy it for what it is. I've wasted a lot of money on used up muscle cars, including the one I own now. If I had the money to get something in really good shape, I'd invest it in something "fresh" even if it's not 100% what i'm looking for.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Opinions are like ******** everybody has 1 and they all stink. But honestly I'd expand my search via this site or autotrader even possibly ebay. Don't buy a car that's been badly molested get a clean stock car and molest it yourself as time and money permit. These cars can get very expensive fast. Better to have something trustworthy then something with a lot of horses that may implode on the way to the grocery store. Convertibles are sweet and a lot of fun on nice days but as with anything made of fabric the top will need to eventually be replaced. T-tops are forever lol
Old 09-10-2013, 08:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JLFIII
I don't think it was anyone's intent to insult him, convertibles are usually a love it or hate it type of thing, so invariably asking advice on a decision between a coupe or a vert will bring some opinion into the mix.

As I stated, I'm not a fan of convertibles, but if I had the option of a mint vert or a used up hard top, I'd take a vert and enjoy it for what it is. I've wasted a lot of money on used up muscle cars, including the one I own now. If I had the money to get something in really good shape, I'd invest it in something "fresh" even if it's not 100% what i'm looking for.
That sounds a lot better. Yes, it is insulting to say "convertibles suck" when no one was asking for personal opinions. The OP just wants to know which car would be better to buy. I know you didn't post it originally but you 'quoted it' like you agreed. You nailed it now with solid reasoning and with helpful advice. This is serious $$ for the OP and should be treated accordingly.

Another concern I have for the OP is that he stated he wanted to convert a ragtop into a T-top in another post. I'm a bit confused what the OP wants. Care to clarify Lukesevi94 ???

Last edited by NC01TA; 09-10-2013 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 09-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Haha I actually agree about not being a huh fan of convertables, but this one I'm looking at just seems to clean to pass up. I can't find anything wrong with it on carfax or all the pictures I've been sent, I'm gonna go test drive it this weekend. This car has everything I want in terms of being stock, unmolested, 6 speed, black on black. The only issue is I'm not crazy over the convertible. So I was wondering if it is even possible to get bodywork done to convert it to t-tops at a later date. Cuz I know convertables are heavier cuz they need a stronger frame cuz they have no roof, or something like that (like I said, car newbie), but if I can put t tops on it I would want to
Old 09-10-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 235 Likes on 186 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Haha I actually agree about not being a huh fan of convertables, but this one I'm looking at just seems to clean to pass up. I can't find anything wrong with it on carfax or all the pictures I've been sent, I'm gonna go test drive it this weekend. This car has everything I want in terms of being stock, unmolested, 6 speed, black on black. The only issue is I'm not crazy over the convertible. So I was wondering if it is even possible to get bodywork done to convert it to t-tops at a later date. Cuz I know convertables are heavier cuz they need a stronger frame cuz they have no roof, or something like that (like I said, car newbie), but if I can put t tops on it I would want to
Please, abort the idea of converting a 'vert to a T-top car. This is a bad idea no matter how you look at it. If you want T-tops, keep looking until you find one, there are PLENTY of them out there, WAY more than 'verts.

FYI, 'verts are only 100-150 lbs heavier than an equivalently equipped T-top car. The 4th gen f-bods were conceived with convertables in the plan, so the sub-frames and floor pans are identical, with the verts getting only a light additional x-brace under the trans to make up for the lost stiffness provided by the top on t-top cars.

The '98 sounds like a twin to my car, only 50 produced that year in that color combo and trans w/ WS6. So it would be a crime if it were butchered to make it a t-top car. I agree with the others that this un-molested car would be the better choice IF you were OK with owning a 'vert. BUT, if you have reservations about a 'vert, keep looking for a t-top car. They are out there, just need to be patient. Hell, it took me 6 months to find mine, and that was back when you could buy these NEW from the dealers.

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 09-10-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Teching In

So, question then. Are Vert's slower or is anything lacking in terms of performance because it's a Vert??

Quick Reply: Trans am convertible conversion