Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need some suggestions on upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some suggestions on upgrades

I have a 1995 trans am and I'm wanting to do some upgrades on it, whether it be for performance or appearance.

What's already done:
  • We redid the back end and put a 373 in it
  • Flowmaster Muffler
  • 2 dual outlet tips

I don't want it to be to expensive because I'm only 16.

Thanks.

Need some suggestions on upgrades-jqhrpz0.jpg

Last edited by Jaegon; 09-26-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice to see another U-20 member with an F-Body

First off make sure you have done proper maintenance on you car. Fresh liquids and filters are cheap and easy to do. Next make sure your tires have plenty of tread and ready to take more power safely. I would start with getting a decent CAI and work your way back to your muffler. Then start with some suspension upgrades
Old 09-25-2013, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

SUSPENSION, if you can't keep the car safely on the road nothing else matters.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Nice to see another U-20 member with an F-Body

First off make sure you have done proper maintenance on you car. Fresh liquids and filters are cheap and easy to do. Next make sure your tires have plenty of tread and ready to take more power safely. I would start with getting a decent CAI and work your way back to your muffler. Then start with some suspension upgrades
Thanks I'm very happy to be a owner of one. All of my friend are jealous haha.

Anyways what about this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sl...model/firebird

Also can you suggest some suspension upgrades?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jaegon
Thanks I'm very happy to be a owner of one. All of my friend are jealous haha.

Anyways what about this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sl...model/firebird

Also can you suggest some suspension upgrades?
Don't have much experience with LT1's, but Moroso's seems to be one of the most popular.

As for suspension, do you want your car to be a drag queen or autocross monster? BMR has some of the highest quality suspension packages around, and a price to match. Suspension is something you don't wanna skimp out on, so save up and get a good system
Old 09-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Don't have much experience with LT1's, but Moroso's seems to be one of the most popular.

As for suspension, do you want your car to be a drag queen or autocross monster? BMR has some of the highest quality suspension packages around, and a price to match. Suspension is something you don't wanna skimp out on, so save up and get a good system
Alright I'll do a little research on CAI's, but the suspension seems pretty expensive and there is no way I can afford that. I'll have to get that some other time.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Added a picture of the car.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Launching!

My car is mainly gonna be for straight line for a while, maybe if I get the Brembos I want I'll take a little different dirrection. For suspnsion my car came to me without a front swaybar (doesn't really drive bad just have to remeber its not gonna turn like a go-cart) and BMR lowering springs. With DRs I can get a pretty decent launch on the street, and like I said if your not trying to drive it like a go-cart its not bad. my $.02
Old 09-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Jaegon,

Congratulations on the purchase like M4N14C said start off with seeing if the car has been properly inspected and cared for. When I got my WS-6 dealer didn't do rear end oil,tires were 245-55-17's and little things like that. so If you want something from Summit.
I would start with their Bilstein shocks/struts with some nice eibach pro lowering kit, People might tell you that you need a pahnhard bar and crazy stuff like that but it's not true your car will ride totally different and better.
And finally with Exhaust save about 415 for a new catback SLP exhaust (Pacesetter headers are about the same) or try looking into that repair mod with the bad lt1 timing chains or better yet that powersteering or pulley fix,I can't think of it now but check the Lt1 section.you will find way more Info.
One more thing....thanks for buying AMERICAN
Old 09-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by '99REDTA
My car is mainly gonna be for straight line for a while, maybe if I get the Brembos I want I'll take a little different dirrection. For suspnsion my car came to me without a front swaybar (doesn't really drive bad just have to remeber its not gonna turn like a go-cart) and BMR lowering springs. With DRs I can get a pretty decent launch on the street, and like I said if your not trying to drive it like a go-cart its not bad. my $.02
My car has sway bars.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WBO_COTTO
Hey Jaegon,

Congratulations on the purchase like M4N14C said start off with seeing if the car has been properly inspected and cared for. When I got my WS-6 dealer didn't do rear end oil,tires were 245-55-17's and little things like that. so If you want something from Summit.
I would start with their Bilstein shocks/struts with some nice eibach pro lowering kit, People might tell you that you need a pahnhard bar and crazy stuff like that but it's not true your car will ride totally different and better.
And finally with Exhaust save about 415 for a new catback SLP exhaust (Pacesetter headers are about the same) or try looking into that repair mod with the bad lt1 timing chains or better yet that powersteering or pulley fix,I can't think of it now but check the Lt1 section.you will find way more Info.
One more thing....thanks for buying AMERICAN
Thanks for the information. I wouldn't buy anything other than american. My dad and I are the same way haha.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Nice car for a 16 year old! Keep it clean.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nathan C
Nice car for a 16 year old! Keep it clean.
She gets cleaned every Saturday.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Default !

She gets cleaned every Saturday.
Good for you my friend!! Nice ride! I would do headers and a cat back. This way you have a clean good looking ride and it sounds great.Lots of people will turn their head to look.Find some headers and cat back on the classifides or on Ebay or Craig list!!:You will pick up some nice hp!drive: White is the best color for a 4th gen in my pinion.
I do mine every Sunday lol!

Last edited by ws6man29; 09-29-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Nice car!
Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ws6man29
Good for you my friend!! Nice ride! I would do headers and a cat back. This way you have a clean good looking ride and it sounds great.Lots of people will turn their head to look.Find some headers and cat back on the classifides or on Ebay or Craig list!!:You will pick up some nice hp!drive: White is the best color for a 4th gen in my pinion.
I do mine every Sunday lol!
Can you link me to some headers? Also what is a cat back? I'm pretty sure I already have a catalytic converter, but I'm pretty sure it is stock.

Here is the link to my craigslist http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/

Originally Posted by speedwaystevie
Nice car!
Thank you!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

A "cat-back" is a term used to describe an entire exhaust system replacement that starts at the point just behind the catalytic converter and replaces all piping, mufflers and in most cases tips, basically its replacing your entire exhaust. as for headers just do some looking around.

for some (not all) cat-back options see this sponsors page http://marylandspeed.com/exhaust-com...c-122_137.html
for headers see this page http://marylandspeed.com/headers-and...c-122_136.html you can also look around there are cheaper options for both things, I managed to score a brand new Hooker LT1 cat-back from Advance Auto for like 330 and got my pacesetter headers off amazon for like 200.

depending on the mileage you may want to look into a "performance" catalytic converter, but I wouldn't spend that money unless your cat rattles like mine does.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just saw the pic, nice and clean!

Can you link me to some headers? Also what is a cat back? I'm pretty sure I already have a catalytic converter, but I'm pretty sure it is stock.
Here are some header options. I suggest some name brand Long Tubes (Hooker, Pacesetter, TSP...). Do some research on what's best for you. What I usually do is post a question or name of a part I want more info on in Google, then add "site:ls1tech.com". That way it will only yield results from ls1tech.com. It's amazing what you can learn from lurking around old posts

A catback is just what it sounds like, an exhaust system starting after the catalytic converter going "back" to your tips.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
A "cat-back" is a term used to describe an entire exhaust system replacement that starts at the point just behind the catalytic converter and replaces all piping, mufflers and in most cases tips, basically its replacing your entire exhaust. as for headers just do some looking around.

for some (not all) cat-back options see this sponsors page http://marylandspeed.com/exhaust-com...c-122_137.html
for headers see this page http://marylandspeed.com/headers-and...c-122_136.html you can also look around there are cheaper options for both things, I managed to score a brand new Hooker LT1 cat-back from Advance Auto for like 330 and got my pacesetter headers off amazon for like 200.

depending on the mileage you may want to look into a "performance" catalytic converter, but I wouldn't spend that money unless your cat rattles like mine does.
There is no way I would be able to afford that lol.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Just saw the pic, nice and clean!

Here are some header options. I suggest some name brand Long Tubes (Hooker, Pacesetter, TSP...). Do some research on what's best for you. What I usually do is post a question or name of a part I want more info on in Google, then add "site:ls1tech.com". That way it will only yield results from ls1tech.com. It's amazing what you can learn from lurking around old posts

A catback is just what it sounds like, an exhaust system starting after the catalytic converter going "back" to your tips.
What do you think about this? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ps...model/firebird

Quick Reply: Need some suggestions on upgrades