Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need some suggestions on upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Colesitzy
He's got an LT1 unless does something drastic he won't break 325hp any time soon, why would he waste his hard earned money on something so boring?
Stock LT1 still have plenty of power to get you in trouble if you don't respect the car.

What's "fun" and boring is completely subjective. I think its fun to have a car that will put you in your seat if you put your foot down and still be able to throw it around twisty mountain roads. But that's just me
Old 10-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations for a CAI and a pair of headers? We might put in the headers over winter break.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jaegon
Any recommendations for a CAI and a pair of headers? We might put in the headers over winter break.
Go american racing (catless if you want) for headers. I'd save my money and not get a CAI, they don't really do much maybe 10hp if your lucky.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Colesitzy
Go american racing (catless if you want) for headers. I'd save my money and not get a CAI, they don't really do much maybe 10hp if your lucky.
I don't see any headers for a '95 and what would I get instead of a CAI?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

I don't see any headers for a '95 and what would I get instead of a CAI?
If not american racing try hooker, they make some decent ones, steer towards stainless steel if they have them. If not a CAI, get it tuned or just save your money.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

What would I need for my car to sound like this?
Old 10-05-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need a cam to make it sound like that. That will come in the future though. For now focus on bolt ons as many here have mentioned. I didnt catch wether you have a a4 or m6. First thing id do, is full exhaust.

2nd step would be suspension if that was my car. Suspension definitely helps even for a DD, so ignore the troll saying otherwise.

All this adds up in price, so make sure you save up to buy what you need, and do it right the first time. Most of us here learned that the hard way.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Zlow28
you need a cam to make it sound like that. That will come in the future though. For now focus on bolt ons as many here have mentioned. I didnt catch wether you have a a4 or m6. First thing id do, is full exhaust.

2nd step would be suspension if that was my car. Suspension definitely helps even for a DD, so ignore the troll saying otherwise.

All this adds up in price, so make sure you save up to buy what you need, and do it right the first time. Most of us here learned that the hard way.
What is a bolt on?
Old 10-05-2013, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is a bolt on?

Any part that adds power but doesn't touch oil, exhaust, intake...etc.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Any part that adds power but doesn't touch oil, exhaust, intake...etc.
Ah I see thanks for the response!

Any suggestions on bolt ons then?
Old 10-05-2013, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

nice car man take care of it and respect it. IMO, your 16, the car is plenty fast enough. make sure all the maintenance is on the up and up, then i would throw on a cold air intake (fun little easy affordable project to begin getting familiar with the engine), i would tint the windows, and i would pick up a set of lowering springs. congrats!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is a bolt on?
pretty much the easy mods. Anything you can literally bolt on and doesnt touch engine oil. Exhaust, intake, EWP, etc...
Old 10-05-2013, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
My car had only ~40,000 miles when I changed out the shocks, wish I would have done it sooner... I also had the "better valved" WS6 shocks as well.
Honestly if I were you I would just save my money and drive the car, then when you have some money to play with look into some SLP bilstiens at least. Id also look into some quality blank rotors and some hawk HPS pads.
good advise too
Old 10-05-2013, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zlow28
lol is he the guy who looks like justin bieber?
I beliebe so...

Ah I see thanks for the response!

Any suggestions on bolt ons then?
Like stated before, CAI, catback, headers are the place to start. Relatively cheap HP and lets you get to know your car.

Then when you get more confident and your pockets get deeper, cam/heads, good set of tires, full suspension and some boost if you still want more

Also look into weight reduction. Lightening your car is good for everything, handling, acceleration, mpg...
Old 10-06-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What would I need for my car to sound like this? 1997 Trans Am - Hooker Headers, Comp Cams 306 cam gunter - YouTube
Thats going to be way out of your budget.
You need full bolt ons (long tube headers, off road Y-pipe with cutouts, catback exhaust, and likely a better flowing intake manifold).
Then you need a cam (this video is of a car with a Comp Cams "306" cam) so you need the supporting mods for the cam (valve springs, hardened pushrods, roller rockers, lifters, possibly a new timing chain).
Then for the car to drive properly, if you have an auto you need a high RPM stall, and taller rear gears (3.73 might cut it though).
Then of course a dyno tune for everything to work right.
Time for some reading:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ewbie-faq.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ion-guide.html
Old 10-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Thats going to be way out of your budget.
You need full bolt ons (long tube headers, off road Y-pipe with cutouts, catback exhaust, and likely a better flowing intake manifold).
Then you need a cam (this video is of a car with a Comp Cams "306" cam) so you need the supporting mods for the cam (valve springs, hardened pushrods, roller rockers, lifters, possibly a new timing chain).
Then for the car to drive properly, if you have an auto you need a high RPM stall, and taller rear gears (3.73 might cut it though).
Then of course a dyno tune for everything to work right.
Time for some reading:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ewbie-faq.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ion-guide.html
Oh Sweet thanks for that newbie guide that will definitely help a lot.

Does anyone know if K&N is the stock air intake? I have a K&N intake on my car right now and I'm not sure if its stock or not.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

post a pic, k&n is not stock, but it could be a complete system or just the filters.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZEEYAL8R
post a pic, k&n is not stock, but it could be a complete system or just the filters.
It has the K&N emblem on the elbow piece.

Looks kind of like this one too. http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...prod=57-3010-1
Old 10-07-2013, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

It has the K&N emblem on the elbow piece.

Looks kind of like this one too. http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...prod=57-3010-1
upload an underhood shot on here....if you need a place to host your photos for uploading, photobucket.com is easy. <---root beer floats. lol.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:56 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I find myself needing to clean up this thread. I was considering doing so even before I was asked to.

I'll leave this thread open-unless it again digresses to grade school level. Do it again and infractions will be given and the thread will be locked.

Act like an adult. Don't bash or attack each other. If you have nothing useful, intelligent and adult to add to the thread about the thread's topic, keep your mouth shut.

Quick Reply: Need some suggestions on upgrades