Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

paint code and repainting question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default paint code and repainting question

first part of the question is can anybody give me the paint code for the BOM GTO, the som Trans Am and the yellow CETA?

my next question is for the paint guy, my car is currently black but I am probably getting it repainted this month and those are the three colors I am debating between. With it being black will it cause any headaches with repaint? Obviously the car would be sanded and primer before paint.as far as the BOM and SoM paint option is that going to be a difficult color too match? Like is there mixing of colors that need to be done or can you purchase those colors directly. the reason I ask is because obviously I'm going to a paint shop and if it's going to be too difficult for them to do I'm just going to go with the CETA yellow instead.

and if any moderator need to move this to a different section that is fine, I'm on my phone at work and the service here is horrible and this was the easiest place for me to post it then it's mainly Trans Am related anyways
Old 12-14-2013, 02:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.paintscratch.com/
sunset orange -71/wa633h, Barbados mica- 47u/wa946j, sunset yellow-54/wa9929.
Are you doing any body work on the car, for the use of primer. If no body work, the original paint is the best ground coat for you. Just sand with 400-600 grit sand paper for adhesion of the new color. Go to your local automotive paint store and they will mix your color right from the manufacture color code. You can also order a complete basecoat & clear set up online .
Old 12-14-2013, 03:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the paint shop would be Taking care of all the dents and dings on the car as well as primer and sanding
Old 12-14-2013, 03:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

and how reliable is my local auto store on mixing a paint? Because most auto stores like to use their in house brand on parts and such and I don't want to get a cheap In house paint
Old 12-14-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 12-14-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mr Phil
and how reliable is my local auto store on mixing a paint? Because most auto stores like to use their in house brand on parts and such and I don't want to get a cheap In house paint
how could we possibly know how reliable YOUR local guy is? we don't even know what kind of store it is (PPG or one of the others). I would suggest speaking with the body shop guys and see what they think, odds are thats where they get their paint from.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
how could we possibly know how reliable YOUR local guy is? we don't even know what kind of store it is (PPG or one of the others). I would suggest speaking with the body shop guys and see what they think, odds are thats where they get their paint from.
well he said local auto parts store so he made it seem like he was referring to going to a pepboys or autozone or some crap like that
Old 12-14-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

well he said local auto parts store so he made it seem like he was referring to going to a pepboys or autozone or some crap like that
NO, he said "Go to your local automotive paint store"

definitely NOT Autozone or PARTS stores, you wanna PPG store or even in some places Sherwin Williams does auto paint, why don't you just let the body shop handle it, they'll get a better price on paint then you walking in off the street (atleast with PPG).
Old 12-16-2013, 04:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I just looked at the paint codes u gave me and it said Barbados? What is the brazen orange metallic I've read about?
Old 12-20-2013, 06:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I just looked at the paint codes u gave me and it said Barbados? What is the brazen orange metallic I've read about?
Anyone know?
Old 12-20-2013, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal opinion would be to retain factory color - even more so with red or black, but that's me.
Also, my opinion, go big with paint or go home. Not a place to skimp.
Here's pics of my project. I used Spies Hecker in a down draft oven. My body guy no longer paints, but we transported to the booth for the spray.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah I hear what u mean but I have always had black cars and I'm just looking for something different, but I'm definitely not planning on skipping any corners when it comes to painting the car lol
Old 12-20-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yeah I hear what u mean but I have always had black cars and I'm just looking for something different,
I'll trade you all my exterior bits lol. j/k

Quick Reply: paint code and repainting question