Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Previous owners can be a pain..

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Previous owners can be a pain..

So the previous owner put all kinds of adhesive or double sided tape of some sort along with foam on the hood to go around the intake box and I guess decided against it. I used turtle wax's decal and adhesive remover and got the majority of it off. It looks better but isnt pretty cause of the missing paint and some glue or whatever the heck it is left over.

1. Ok so would anyone recommend something that will work better to get the last of the adhesive off?

2. I think putting the foam around the intake box looks much cleaner than it being on the hood but being on the hood it would cover most of the previous owners goof. What do you guys think?

It's a suncoast creations hood so there are openings behind the nostrils for air..
Attached Thumbnails Previous owners can be a pain..-2dscn1158.jpg   Previous owners can be a pain..-2014-01-10-21.24.31.jpg   Previous owners can be a pain..-2014-01-10-21.43.34.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would scrape off whatever foam/glue is left then start sanding, looks like you're gonna have to repaint the underside of the hood anyway.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by westxwitesnake05
I would scrape off whatever foam/glue is left then start sanding, looks like you're gonna have to repaint the underside of the hood anyway.
unfortunately you are correct it's gonna need repainted one day, that's down the road though.. side note your build thread is impressive props
Old 01-11-2014, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

If it were me I'd tape off around the section that's covered in glue residue and then sand it, prime it, and hit it with a few coats of dupli-color. It will look more presentable that way until you get it professionally repainted.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same Suncoast hood and initially put the foam on the hood. Its been a long while but I ran into the identical problem. For whatever reason that I cant remember, I put the foam on with adhesive. Cant remember if it started coming off or something. Started not to like the foam, so I searched forever for a rubber seal that would slide onto the edge of the hood opening. Maybe kind of like the mid 90's ram air cars. I ended up sanding the adhesive off and spraying it with Duplicolor paint as mentioned above. Turned out pretty good that way.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Yea I was curious how it would turn out rattle canned lol might have to try that out. I've seen pics of LT1 intakes and they have some sort of rubber seal around them it looks like? But I'm not sure where I could find something like that or if the rubber is removable and I could rig it up around mine if I found one in a junkyard.
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/907...0446ql4sg5.jpg
Old 01-11-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BAN_ONE
unfortunately you are correct it's gonna need repainted one day, that's down the road though.. side note your build thread is impressive props
Thanks man. I'm sure you could get away with just masking off that small section then sanding and painting it like techcam mentioned. You'd be surprised what you can do with good prep work and a rattle can lol
Old 01-11-2014, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

First off as stated above sand, prep, & repaint area. Might look good painting that indented area flat black. Then maybe try something like this with a good rubber cement,
http://www.awdirect.com/rubber-gaske...thg3/hardware/
Could also put it on hood as well as air box to mate together to form seal
Old 01-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Yea I'm gonna mess around with it for a bit. Sand down the remaining glue and repaint that area then I'll try to figure out how to make a good seal for the box the weather stripping is a good idea, thanks guys! I'll post pics whenever I get done with it no telling when that will be cause my classes start again monday
Old 01-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reference the mid 90's ram air cars, I was thinking the seal was on the hood and not the box. After seeing the pic, I stand corrected.

Quick Reply: Previous owners can be a pain..