Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

New member, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:39 AM
o2k
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, need advice.

Hi everyone. Just bought a 2000 Trans Am auto last night and have had some bad luck already.. Not the car itself luckily.

When I went to pick up the car last night the rear driver side tire was flat. Luckily the previous owner had included new tires for me to install. So I grabbed the wheel with the flat and one of the new tires and went to Tire Kingdom in Orange Park, FL. The old tire was getting flat due to a bad valve stem so I had them replace the valve stem when they were doing the tire.

We then installed the tire in the car and drove off.. I let my friend drive it while i drove my other car. Not more than 10 mins of driving I see hes got a flat and flag him down as soon as possible. Basically the valve stem they put in was too long and hit the caliper and broke.

So, now I had a flat tire and part of the rim was damaged. I waited almost two hours for a tow truck and had it towed to the tire place that did the work, but they were already closed. I got up early morning and went to talk to the service manager.

The service manager says to me that it's not their fault that they put in a standard size valve stem and it hit the calipar.. and also that they didn't put on the tire, if they did, they would have noticed the stem hitting the caliper. They will fix the valve stem issue, but not the wheel damage.

So what I would like to know is what I can do? Am I out of luck? This car doesn't come with the stock wheels, but some boyd coddingtons. The valve sits further in than any car I've used in the past. Is the valve stem on the stock wheel short too or a standard size?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Al

For your enjoyment

Last edited by o2k; 02-13-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

First off that's why you never go to Tire Kingdom, the ultimate minimum wage, high turnover, 'no knowledge' lot of employees you will ever encounter IMO. It was that way in the '90s when I lived in FL and I see it has not changed.
Next up, go to your local courthouse and start the small claims process going. Don't waste your breath with the local manager. He is useless and I'm not surprised. It's never their fault! If you want to go over his head you might consider that but you never know. Any knowledgeable tire installer would have seen the potential problem with those rims. It's ridiculous, and I'm sorry you went there. Don't let it spoil your Trans am ownership experience. Just chalk it up to 'experience'.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You would think that someone MIGHT have foresaw this considering the location of the stem and checked the size of the other 3 stems....
Old 02-13-2014, 11:52 PM
o2k
Staging Lane

I wish I didn't go there.. But when I tried finding a place around 7;30pm, they were the only ones I could find that were open. I've never heard of the place actually.. I just moved to Jax recently from NY. I called their customer service dept.. apparently it takes 24-48 hours to get a response. I'll wait to see what they say.. If I hear things I don't like, I may take them to court.

You're right Keven, someone should have realized.. But I think they were too busy taking my money and sending me off. Clearly they expect the customer to be the tire professionals and have the knowledge.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:52 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

First, congrats on the nice new ride!

Second, NO, Tire Kingdom is not responsible. You didn't tell them the wheel needed a short stem. They didn't mount the wheel onto the car to see the stem would hit the caliper.

This should've been spotted by whoever put the wheel back onto the car.

You walked into Tire Kingdom with a flat in your hand, not on the car. They fixed the flat and you rolled the wheel out. Fixing the flat using standard parts was "proper" work on their part. You didn't ask for a special valve stem. They're off the hook and no judge will side with you.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

I get a big fat zero for reader comprehension.
I didn't realize you walked the tire in. That is indeed a different scenario. They could have asked but that wouldn't cut it in a court case. Never mind the small claims advice. That would only be valid if they put the tire on the car. My apologies. Sorry about the rim. That stinks.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:38 PM
o2k
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
First, congrats on the nice new ride!

Second, NO, Tire Kingdom is not responsible. You didn't tell them the wheel needed a short stem. They didn't mount the wheel onto the car to see the stem would hit the caliper.

This should've been spotted by whoever put the wheel back onto the car.

You walked into Tire Kingdom with a flat in your hand, not on the car. They fixed the flat and you rolled the wheel out. Fixing the flat using standard parts was "proper" work on their part. You didn't ask for a special valve stem. They're off the hook and no judge will side with you.
I never knew there was a short stem on this car.. I thought they were all the same. But we all missed the stem being too long when the wheel was put back on.. just an unfortunate situation I guess.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:40 PM
o2k
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I get a big fat zero for reader comprehension.
I didn't realize you walked the tire in. That is indeed a different scenario. They could have asked but that wouldn't cut it in a court case. Never mind the small claims advice. That would only be valid if they put the tire on the car. My apologies. Sorry about the rim. That stinks.
its okay.. Just one of those learning moments I guess. Previous owner didn't know about the short stems either so he probably wouldn't have been able to point it out anyways when we were putting the wheel back on his driveway.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

again sorry this happened to you, im the previous owner and i never noticed it either. then again i never had to replace tires on the car so i would have noticed it then if i had.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:50 AM
o2k
Staging Lane

No worries David.. It was just bad luck..

Last edited by o2k; 02-25-2014 at 02:49 AM.

Quick Reply: New member, need advice.