Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

A/C controls to replace.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 04:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A/C controls to replace.

Well damn, It would seem the most right control (the one where you would select your airflow/max AC) is stripped. I can feel it slipping, but if you turn it slower then a chevy spark takes off from a light when I am behind it and running late for work, you can JUST get it to click on AC from the off position.

How to I go about taking apart that section of my dash without breaking anything? Also, where would be the best place to get the replacement switches?

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:42 AM
Staging Lane

Almost 24 hours later and still no clue guys?
Old 05-21-2014, 06:36 AM
On The Tree

Ss for getting in there with out breaking it, IDK. I think the bezel just pops of and the panel is just held in by a couple of screw. Hopefully some one more experienced will chime in. But it looks like you can get a whole new to you (used) ac panel and ***** for cheap at hawks third gen.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

^ That's it. The ***** pull off the switch panel and the bezel is pried off. You might want to use a plastic tool to pry the bezel off. Screwdrivers, etc. can mess up the plastic.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

are you sure you even need to pry it all apart, pull the **** off and see if the plastic on the back of it that slips over the metal "prong" is where the problem is at, if it is just replace the ****, if not then dig on in and replace the unit.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:42 AM
Staging Lane

This is why I always ask you guys first. I didn't even know the **** and the unit could be taken apart. I will check and get back to you guys.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Is this a new problem or something you inherited with the car when you bought it?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Brutal Boba Fett
Is this a new problem or something you inherited with the car when you bought it?
Its a new problem. When I got the car the controls did not raise any red-flags as far as I remember. But when I get out of work today I will see if its the plastic *** on the outside or if its the unit itself. When I know, you guys will know
Old 05-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, so I pulled the *** off and yes sir the plastic is broken. But I was turning the temp *** in the center and its a bit hard to turn. I think that is what has happened to this one. The damn switch in the unit itself is slowly getting harder to turn and the plastic can't deal with the stress. I might just replace the whole unit to play it safe. It looks to just be held on with a few bolts. Should not be that much of a PITA.

In other news I got a plastic pry tool and the bezle is just held on by for pressure clips just under the 4 corners. Its very easy to get off. Pry from the top and work your way around. Not much else to it.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

well replacing the unit isn't quite that easy, once you get it out you have a mess of vacuum lines (which is what the location selector uses) and I imagine the hot/cold adjuster (if it's like others I have seen) uses a cable similar to a throttle cable that has to be disconnected and then there is the electrical plug, if your center is hard to turn, that could be a sign of an issue with the cable or the valve it connects to at the other end.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
well replacing the unit isn't quite that easy, once you get it out you have a mess of vacuum lines (which is what the location selector uses) and I imagine the hot/cold adjuster (if it's like others I have seen) uses a cable similar to a throttle cable that has to be disconnected and then there is the electrical plug, if your center is hard to turn, that could be a sign of an issue with the cable or the valve it connects to at the other end.
Ah I see, Well in that case if it is going to be a PITA I guess it would not hurt to just try a new *** first. I will do that and report back if any more BS comes up. Is there a "How to" anywhere that described what I would be getting myself into if I did have to replace the unit itself?
Old 05-23-2014, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RedLineWS6
Ah I see, Well in that case if it is going to be a PITA I guess it would not hurt to just try a new *** first. I will do that and report back if any more BS comes up. Is there a "How to" anywhere that described what I would be getting myself into if I did have to replace the unit itself?
I looked for a while and I couldn't find any thread on it. Maybe you could write up the first one!

Quick Reply: A/C controls to replace.