Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Deal of a Lifetime?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deal of a Lifetime?

Ok, maybe that's a little much. But a crazy deal none the less.

Yesterday, I picked up a 1998 Formula WS6. Auto. T-tops. 114k
Here's the work done:
SLP Lid
smooth Bellows
Kooks Headers
kooks Catted Y pipe
Magnaflow cat back
Electric cut out
3.73 gears
BMR strut tower brace
BMR tubular adjustable LCA's
BMR Asjustable Pan hard bar
C6 ZO6 Rims.
Nitto Drag Radials
Tuned. (Not sure what's don't though)
HID Headlights
HID Fog Lights

Also, the whole trunk was done in Dynamat extreme. There's a sub in the left side in a custom box. (All this is going away btw.)

Thing runs great. Only issues are that the gas gauge doesn't work and the coolant temp gauge doesn't work. It slowly creeps up but never works correctly. Also, the antenna mats broke. But I'll have that fixed soon enough.
The only issue is that it needs the window trim on the drivers door. But that's easily purchased for $80.

So anyone wanna guess what I paid for this? You'll never believe it. And it wasn't from a friend or anything of the sort. This was located on Craigslist.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well lets see the car.

Seeing as your other thread, 3500.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:35 AM

Well that's just cheating!

Old 07-27-2014, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Shouldn't have posted it then lol.

I hate the red grill and shift **** with a passion. I hope you ran some background info on the car. That's really sketchy to be that cheap. Either the sellers have no clue what an LS car sells for, or the car has something sketchy about it. Luckily you can part the aftermarket and stuff for a good chunk and make a good deal off the car.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tipnitty
Shouldn't have posted it then lol.

I hate the red grill and shift **** with a passion. I hope you ran some background info on the car. That's really sketchy to be that cheap. Either the sellers have no clue what an LS car sells for, or the car has something sketchy about it. Luckily you can part the aftermarket and stuff for a good chunk and make a good deal off the car.
the sketchy functioning of the temp gauge would be a big concern for me, wonder if its been run hot and the motor is about to go.

either way he can get most (possibly more) selling it as a roller (if it has a clean history) or parting it out (if it's a wreck rebuild).
Old 07-27-2014, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

good deal as long as nothing is wrong with it !
Old 07-27-2014, 07:29 PM

you guys are all pessimists huh damn. Here's the deal with it.

Guy owned it, put all his money into it. Left for the Military and Parked it at his parents house in Connecticut. He left Basic training and got a big signing bonus. Bought a new Vette and got stationed somewhere super far away. So he had the vett and left the bird at his parents house. They told him it has to go because in Connecticut, if its not registered you cant have it in your yard. And they would get fines. So he told them to sell it. They didn't know **** about it. And the registration was expiring at the end of the month, so they just wanted it gone before they have legal issues. And I got it for a good deal.

As far as the gauges, I confirmed that the gauge is faulty, but its not actually running hot. The Temp sensor that the PCM uses is seeing normal temps. So its either the gauge of the sending unit for the gauge. I haven't taken the time to fix it yet I've only owned the car for about 24 hours.

Also upon further inspection, I found some welded in Sub Frame connectors. I don't know how I missed them before. But they blend in so well.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:31 PM

Oh yeah, Its a clean title car.

And the grills will be returned to black. I wasnt going to pass on the deal because the grills are red.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome deal if everything is straight.
You've got an opportunity to make a lot of money 👍
Old 07-27-2014, 09:21 PM

Thanks. Everyone has said that I should just flip it. But honestly I have no idea what it's even worth.

It's got everything I want in an FBody. So I should just keep it.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by RI96Z28M6
Thanks. Everyone has said that I should just flip it. But honestly I have no idea what it's even worth.

It's got everything I want in an FBody. So I should just keep it.
The $3,500 you paid is worth a gamble unless the car has been abused. From what you describe I think you did well and you can just enjoy it. Putting a few grand into it will fix many issues and you still would have just $5,500 into it. That's not overboard in the slightest unless you have drive train issues. Only you can determine that. Best of luck!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just doesn't make sense to me. I've been in a similar situation and I don't understand why someone would put all this money into a car, and not spend a few buck on registration and not sell it dirt cheap. I mean, great for you, just confuses me.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that plate your plate from an old car or the plate that came with the car?

Running that plate comes up as: 1996 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z28

If you post the plate that the car came with or that the seller used I can run it for you.

Last edited by red04montels; 07-29-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The seller knew what they had into the car and what they should be able to get for it. I can't see how they wouldn't have passed that info along to the parents. I'm in Connecticut and in my town you can have 1 unregistered vehicle on your property. And for approx $90/2 yrs a registration renewal is not exactly a big expense to have an extra registered vehicle on your property until you can sell it for what you want or what it's really worth. If I were the dad, I'd have paid the $90 registration fee and drive the car while "casually" looking for a buyer....lol. A few years back my son's unregistered CT vehicle sat for so long in our side yard that the wheels became planted about 4" deep. I eventually tired of it and had it towed to a scrapper.

Last edited by Firebrian; 07-28-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

you guys are all pessimists huh damn. Here's the deal with it.

Guy owned it, put all his money into it. Left for the Military and Parked it at his parents house in Connecticut. He left Basic training and got a big signing bonus. Bought a new Vette and got stationed somewhere super far away. So he had the vett and left the bird at his parents house.
The army moves your car if they station you somewhere, they took my sisters car from here in Georgia and shipped it to Hawaii when she got stationed there and my buddy got stationed in Alaska and they shipped his up there so leaving this car behind with all this money in it doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

hell with the nsysayers, good deal, id have bought it.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:17 AM

Well as you can tell from my username, the plate that's on it right now in that picture belongs to my Camaro. I used those plates to transport it home. In Rhode Island I can attach my plates for 48 hours and drive it.

As far as the parents holding the car...they lived in a very "quaint" area. It was a trailer park setting with incredibly limited space. The roads were about narrow enough to get a car by. Parking this there wasn't def in the way. And apparently the neighbors aren't the type to turn a blind eye to it.

The kid who owned it bought a new vette and didn't care about the bird anymore. His parents sold it and he's going to use the cash to throw some work into the vette.

I have the old registrations for the vehicle, title, and bill of sale. All the paperwork.

Maybe sometimes you just get lucky and find a good deal.

The car wasn't perfect. It had been sitting for a little bit. Needed a ton of cleaning inside and out. Had some wiring issues with the stuff the kid installed. The blower motor needed to be removed and cleaned out. The headlight had a short in the connector from
Corrosion that I fixed. And the drivers window trim is being replaced.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:20 AM

Oh and the plate that was on it is 9AABN9. Connecticut plate.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:15 AM
Launching!

Well as you can tell from my username, the plate that's on it right now in that picture belongs to my Camaro. I used those plates to transport it home. In Rhode Island I can attach my plates for 48 hours and drive it.

As far as the parents holding the car...they lived in a very "quaint" area. It was a trailer park setting with incredibly limited space. The roads were about narrow enough to get a car by. Parking this there wasn't def in the way. And apparently the neighbors aren't the type to turn a blind eye to it.

The kid who owned it bought a new vette and didn't care about the bird anymore. His parents sold it and he's going to use the cash to throw some work into the vette.

I have the old registrations for the vehicle, title, and bill of sale. All the paperwork.

Maybe sometimes you just get lucky and find a good deal.

The car wasn't perfect. It had been sitting for a little bit. Needed a ton of cleaning inside and out. Had some wiring issues with the stuff the kid installed. The blower motor needed to be removed and cleaned out. The headlight had a short in the connector from
Corrosion that I fixed. And the drivers window trim is being replaced.
Oh and the plate that was on it is 9AABN9. Connecticut plate.
Didn't even read your username to be honest haha I was just trying to help. A conversion would have been slightly odd :p

I'll run the plate though just so you can see the prior history, my carfax is almost up so I better use it up
Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Impressive man, carfax is clean, 4 owners. There's a mileage inconsistency on it, but I would assume that's a DMV error as it went from 58,723 miles to 590,303 and then back to 86,700.

Sounds like you got an awesome deal, PM me if you want the PDF I can email it over.

Quick Reply: Deal of a Lifetime?