Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

needing help with diagnosing problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default needing help with diagnosing problems

My car has an A4 and coming out of first gear into second it shifts really rough like wheels break loose and throws me into a slide kinda rough but all other gears are good no signs of slipping or anything...I've tried manually going through all gears and the same thing happens...is it in need of a rebuild or should I just not worry about it

Also my airbag light won't go off...could this be cause my donor was totaled? and what would I need to do to get this light off my dash? Flash pcm maybe?

Last but not least my smog pump...I'm getting a code saying something about my pump solenoid and when I googled it and started looking my car over it doesn't have a solenoid...no plug no vacuum lines nothing and it doesn't have a diverter where the tube splits to go to the headers either...should my car have these parts? Or did some trans ams not come with these...and if that's the case why is it throwing the code?

Any help would be much appreciated
Old 10-01-2014, 09:49 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

1: Sounds like you'll be re-building that transmission pretty soon.

2: The airbag system can be scanned to tell you where the problem is.

3: The PCM does a test of the A.I.R. system. If it's not working or has been removed, you'll get a trouble code for it. This test can be tuned out of the PCM. PCMforless and other mail order tune companies can easily do this.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Can I use just an obd2 scan tool or will I need something else to scan the airbag system...could it have remembered that it was in a wreck?
Old 10-01-2014, 10:23 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

It can't be just the code scanner that they have at like AutoZone.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Oh ok...is the body of the v6 trans the same as the v8? In other words could I change the bell housings out and the v6 transmission work on a v8?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Hey Paul I noticed today while I was running some errands that when the motor and trans got good and hot the trans started shifting smoother into second...could this be a filter problem or am I still looking at a rebuild?
Old 10-03-2014, 08:13 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Things usually get worse when they get hot.

A "good" transmission should shift properly at any temperature or amount of running time.

The only thing is when cold, an automatic transmission may shift a little firmer due to the cold (higher viscosity) of the fluid.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00birdls1
Oh ok...is the body of the v6 trans the same as the v8? In other words could I change the bell housings out and the v6 transmission work on a v8?
from what I remember, bell housing, input shaft and torque converter are different, the case is the same.

here's a thread on the subject of your shift issue:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ift-issue.html

mine does this sometimes when it gets hot enough, I first noticed it well over a year ago after driving for like 45 minutes (my daily driving usually never runs longer then 30 minutes at a trip), when it does it it also firms up the other shifts, but to a much lower extent.

I have money set aside for the day the trans finally gives out, along with a transgo shift kit and corvette servo to go in when the rebuild gets done.

It's been 17 months, a 1,400 mile round trip to Florida plus a daily driving of about 3k miles ever 2 months since the first time it has happened (thrown a p1870 code 2 or 3 times) and my trans is still going, but then again it's only done it to me maybe a dozen times during all that time (the hard shifting).

drop the pan, inspect the fluid, inspect the parts referenced in the linked thread and maybe you might get lucky and just need fresh fluid.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

In my v6 my trans it was shifting hard after a while of driving like yours is doing and when I had it rebuilt they said the trans was overheating and causing worse problems with the clutches and everything internal...might be some of your problem

Ill check that link out and see if I can find out any info I'm a mechanic and ill do a lot of things but transmissions isn't one of them I try and stay under the hood lol thanks for your help

Last edited by 00birdls1; 10-03-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Quick Reply: needing help with diagnosing problems