Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

I've never been so mad in my life with these bmr springs and Koni shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I've never been so mad in my life with these bmr springs and Koni shocks

So I'm no stranger to lowering a car. I've been in the garage for 6 hours last night and by putting on the bmr lowering springs, heater hose mod, Koni sport shocks.... It raised my car an inch 😳. I can't believe it. The car measured 27.75 in the back before the springs and now it measures almost 29. I know cars need time to settle but this is a little ridicules. Every one else I see with this set up is around 26 inch wheel gap in the rear. Do you think something is defective?

The first pic is before the swap and the 2nd is after. For over $1000 i was expecting something better
Attached Thumbnails I've never been so mad in my life with these bmr springs and Koni shocks-photo760.jpg   I've never been so mad in my life with these bmr springs and Koni shocks-photo895.jpg   I've never been so mad in my life with these bmr springs and Koni shocks-photo545.jpg  
Old 07-29-2015, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i commented in your other post , its not the springs , its your shocks or you have bind somewhere. Look how short the springs are , take the shock off and drop the car down on just springs and i bet it will be fine . Either you shock is messed up , put together wrong or you have bind . Did you loosen your lcas and then tighten them up without a load on the suspension?
Old 07-29-2015, 10:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 358 Likes on 270 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

what you are probably experiencing is bind of some sort. those poly busings tend to get preload and when you try and lower it with a pre-load they bind and actually keep the car from settling.

Best thing to do is to get under the car with it on the ground or lift it and support it by the rear end and not the body. loosen the nuts and bolts on the Pan hard bar as well as the swaybar mounts and endlinks. Just loosen them you dont have to take them completely off. than tighten everything back. This will take the preload of your stock rideheight off this system and adjust it to your new height with the lower springs.

you may also need to do this for your lower control arms.

Not saying its impossible to get bad parts, but its a pretty common issue with fbodies when you lower them that the rear poly bushings cause some issues getting the body to correct to the new ride height. You may also find that you need an adjustable panhard bar if you dont have one already to recenter rear at the lower ride height
Old 07-29-2015, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure your bumpstops aren't snagging on your wheel.

Install springs by themselves, then install the shocks afterwards like Ram said. Make sure you don't have anything binding.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was/is the parking brake on? has the car been DRIVEN, like even around the yard since the install? lets cover the basics before you start tearing things apart. are those big *** 315's hanging on the bump stop because you didn't buy an adjustable panhard bar to re-center the rear end?
Old 07-29-2015, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Default I've never been so mad in my life with these bmr springs and Koni shocks

No parking break on, clears bump stops. Driven around the block, even jumped in the hatch for about ten mins ... Here's a pic without shocks in the car lowered
Attached Thumbnails I've never been so mad in my life with these bmr springs and Koni shocks-photo219.jpg   I've never been so mad in my life with these bmr springs and Koni shocks-photo376.jpg  
Old 07-29-2015, 04:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You are trying to put the front springs on the rear of the car. The two front springs will have the part number SP002 on them and the rear spring will have the part number SP003 on them. Swap the spring around and you will be good to go. If you have any other questions or concerns please just give us a call.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-29-2015, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

opps

I hate when that happens...
Old 07-30-2015, 09:35 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Thank god for our sponsors! The next thing to try was putting a body in the trunk...
Old 07-30-2015, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Yup totally my fault. I was reading a forum on how to install lowering springs on LS1tech and whoever made the tutorial had the part numbers mixed up. Thanks for all your help. Works great now .... P.S I feel like a moron lol
Old 07-30-2015, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 358 Likes on 270 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

^ dont feel bad its the kind of stuff that makes for fun stories, plus you were smart enough to realize it wasnt right, just wasnt quite sure the cause.

Kind of like back in april how I noticed my car wasnt driving right only to find out it was a melted plug wire..... that I didnt even notice when I changed the plugs that same month.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blasius02
Yup totally my fault. I was reading a forum on how to install lowering springs on LS1tech and whoever made the tutorial had the part numbers mixed up. Thanks for all your help. Works great now .... P.S I feel like a moron lol
thats what you get for following instructions,
Old 08-01-2015, 06:11 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Duplicate post in the appropriate forum:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ni-shocks.html

Quick Reply: I've never been so mad in my life with these bmr springs and Koni shocks