Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Modding a 4th gen vs buying something new...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 05:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Default Modding a 4th gen vs buying something new...

I'm just wondering if it's really worth the effort to mod a LS1 vs buying a newer Mustang or Camaro. It seems you have to throw parts and money to get back to even with a newer muscle car.

Last edited by wannafbody; 09-26-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
I'm just wondering if it's really worth the effort to mod a LS1 vs buying a newer Mustang or Camaro. It seems you have to throw parts and money to get get back to even with a newer muscle car.
I disagree a bit.

Low 12's.
Converter $900.
Lt's /ory $700
Drag radials $500

12.5-13 flat
New mustang/camaro

Imo there is nothing special about the styling of the new camaro or mustang since everyone has one.

Ls1's absolutely can still hold there own
Old 09-26-2016, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, I have a 6 speed.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

If I were looking for performance the 4th gen is hard to beat imo.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Well, I have a 6 speed.
Clutch $1000
Lt's / ory $700
Tires $500

Mid 12's and probably pull the new camaro/mustang from a roll.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by madmike9396
If I were looking for performance the 4th gen is hard to beat imo.
And styling
Old 09-26-2016, 06:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was in the same boat when I bought a C6. Ended up selling it and moded my TA faster and cheaper to mod.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Bang for the buck these cars are hard to beat IMO
Old 09-26-2016, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, the WS6 looks the best of the late model muscle cars.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

If you are spending more than the cost of a new Mustang GT/Camaro SS to get your LS1 F-body to out-perform a stock one, then you're doing it wrong; bang for the buck absolutely does not favor any of the newest generation of performance cars in that comparison. Having said that, what you ARE getting for that extra new car money is a warranty, fresh parts, and the latest tech and gadgets. I like the warranty and fresh parts, but new tech and extra gadgets are useless to me and I'd rather avoid them as much as possible.

Styling is subjective, and the WS6 cars are typically the least bang for your buck (due to how much one costs compared to other trim levels) within the LS1 F-body scope.

Whether or not it's "worth it" to get an LS1 4th gen rather than a new car is purely subjective.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to own a new car with no miles on it and not have to worry about past owners with sketchy install/driving habits. But I hate owning something everyone and their mother has. Plus the new cars do nothing for me.

I would buy a completely stock fbody. Change the rear end out right away to a 12 bolt or 9 inch. Drag radials, bolt ons and tune.

If only I can buy a brand new ws6 from GM right now, that would be my dream.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:42 AM
On The Tree

I went through this almost two years ago. I had the cash to drop adeposit for a brand new camaro or corvette and I ended up buying a 02 WS6 cash instead. Yes I had to deal with replacing parts, it is an almost 15 year old car. But I knew that from the get go. As long as you know what you are getting yourself into. The car was completely stock when I bought it, as of now it has a lot of aftermarket parts, yes I did spend good coin, but I'm done modding it and I don't have a car payment. it worked for me, but one major reason is that it's my side car/weekend car. If it is going to be your primary daily driver you may want to consider something new with warranty to avoid any hassles. It's all relative to your situation. Good luck on your choice, be smart about it.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6wanted

If only I can buy a brand new ws6 from GM right now, that would be my dream.
You can almost. There are still sub 10,000 miles F-body cars for sale that are basically new. Change the fluids, get new tires, and you are set to go. I've found that these cars age very well in a properly stored condition (climate controlled garage). It's not like the 80's and older cars that deteriorate from just sitting. These cars are made so much better. You can buy one in the $20,000 to $25,000 range but you may have to travel a bit. Here is just one example below. I'm sure they wouldn't turn down $25k. Certainly way cheaper than a new GT or SS.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...d/1876752.html
Old 09-27-2016, 07:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I still think it would be fun to find a clean nice paint 98-02 ws6 and daily drive it unstead of buying a new car like the new camaro

$4800 for a mwc fab 9 with tq arm , driveshaft, x member
$ 225 panhard , lcas
$3800 t 56 magnum
$1500 , mgw shifter , monster clutch , flywheels , tick master , gm slave
$1200 kee audio steakers , sub amp headunit
10k on engine 4.8,5.3,6.0 do a cam, headstuds, ls9 gaskets , ls6 intake , d1sc procharger , aster bracket and fuel system . Make over 600 easily .

I think it would be fun to do that . Me i wouldn't want to do any paint work so the body would be the hardest thing to find . Nice clean car . You know tear it apart and have a new drivetrain car .
Old 09-27-2016, 09:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
If you are spending more than the cost of a new Mustang GT/Camaro SS to get your LS1 F-body to out-perform a stock one, then you're doing it wrong; bang for the buck absolutely does not favor any of the newest generation of performance cars in that comparison. Having said that, what you ARE getting for that extra new car money is a warranty, fresh parts, and the latest tech and gadgets. I like the warranty and fresh parts, but new tech and extra gadgets are useless to me and I'd rather avoid them as much as possible.

Styling is subjective, and the WS6 cars are typically the least bang for your buck (due to how much one costs compared to other trim levels) within the LS1 F-body scope.

Whether or not it's "worth it" to get an LS1 4th gen rather than a new car is purely subjective.

I agree with this statement but...

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Having said that, what you ARE getting for that extra new car money is a warranty, fresh parts, and the latest tech and gadgets.
^ This one is understated. The latest accessory tech is bordering on criminal. Did you see the Terminator movies? The technology is taking over. Soon the cars will be driving themselves (where's the fun in that?) and next they will be controlling (maybe even eating) our brains.

(I stopped buying cars when drive-by-wire started popping up.)

New cars are porky but their engines are slightly more efficient and they are safer in a crash. If you drive for fun, the last two points aren't that important to you, and you can take care of an older car - I'd go with the older car.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

The interior will feel very dated compared to something newer, and I think there is quite a bit more emphasis on the handling aspect of newer sports cars. but all the above are correct that bang for the buck pick up someones garage queen and it will be like starting with a new car. If someone takes care of them these cars stay in great condition.

I feel like I say this everytime this topic comes up, but buy one with some miles and when the engine blows, swap in the ls3. More room to grow HP wise with a lighter chassis to start with. Not exactly a budget build but if you like the styling of a 4th gen thats the best of both worlds and its not a hard swap.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I've found that these cars age very well in a properly stored condition (climate controlled garage). It's not like the 80's and older cars that deteriorate from just sitting. These cars are made so much better.
I agree that these 4th gens age extremely well when properly maintained and stored. Keep the fluids changed, fuel treated, and drive it at least once in a blue moon and they hold up great. Then again, so has my '71. In fact, they've both held up equally well over the last decade of mostly sitting. I've never owned any car, antique or modern, that deteriorated much from limited use as long as storage and maintenance were proper.

However I wouldn't buy an ultra low mileage one to use as a daily driver, as I know I'd just end up wanting to keep it perfect and rarely drive it....just like my other one.

Originally Posted by wssix99
^ This one is understated. The latest accessory tech is bordering on criminal. Did you see the Terminator movies? The technology is taking over. Soon the cars will be driving themselves (where's the fun in that?) and next they will be controlling (maybe even eating) our brains.

(I stopped buying cars when drive-by-wire started popping up.)

Drive-by-wire = Drive-by-Satan. I like cables too.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:27 PM
Launching!

That is one beautiful Trans Am. If I had the money, I would buy that one in heartbeat. I love my 98 tho, I've spent uncountable hours slowly turning it into exactly what I want. It is almost there, I have many decades to get it perfect, which is part of the fun.

I agree with everyone's advice. It comes down to what OP wants. He can't go wrong either way, a new car would just cost him more, unless maybe he gets a 4 banger Camaro, lol. Goodluck with your decision, let us know what you decide.

Originally Posted by NC01TA
You can almost. There are still sub 10,000 miles F-body cars for sale that are basically new. Change the fluids, get new tires, and you are set to go. I've found that these cars age very well in a properly stored condition (climate controlled garage). It's not like the 80's and older cars that deteriorate from just sitting. These cars are made so much better. You can buy one in the $20,000 to $25,000 range but you may have to travel a bit. Here is just one example below. I'm sure they wouldn't turn down $25k. Certainly way cheaper than a new GT or SS.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...d/1876752.html
Old 09-28-2016, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BBWS6
I went through this almost two years ago. I had the cash to drop adeposit for a brand new camaro or corvette and I ended up buying a 02 WS6 cash instead. Yes I had to deal with replacing parts, it is an almost 15 year old car. But I knew that from the get go. As long as you know what you are getting yourself into. The car was completely stock when I bought it, as of now it has a lot of aftermarket parts, yes I did spend good coin, but I'm done modding it and I don't have a car payment. it worked for me, but one major reason is that it's my side car/weekend car. If it is going to be your primary daily driver you may want to consider something new with warranty to avoid any hassles. It's all relative to your situation. Good luck on your choice, be smart about it.
Exactly why I bought my WS6. All I did was mod suspension parts (to auto-x), then JUST threw in heads/cam to make more power. It's a beast, the only thing I need to upgrade are clutch for now.......then a rear when it goes.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

I really do like my WS6 but those new Mustangs with a Roush blower and warranty would be a blast.

Quick Reply: Modding a 4th gen vs buying something new...