Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Cruise Control, Throttle Cable, & Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cruise Control, Throttle Cable, & Throttle Body

So I have a 98 Firebird that originally came with the v6 and automatic. I'm swapping in an Ls7 and T56 manual.

Planning on running a Fast 102.. Unsure on the throttle body, which may hopefully be influenced from the feedback I get here. I want to run the works in this car.. AC, Cruise, and ABS. I don't plan on racing it 'legally' much, other than the occasional track day and autocross.

From an aftermarket standpoint, are any of the top 102mm throttle bodies (ie. Nick Williams) compatible with cruise control?

TIA Ls1tech.

Last edited by LS7Bird; 01-16-2017 at 07:40 PM. Reason: 1/16/17 Removed & moved questions to appropriate thread
Old 01-14-2017, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Or do most of you just ditch cruise when swapping TBs?
Old 01-14-2017, 05:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7Bird
Do I need to get a different throttle cable from a v6 to v8 swap standpoint?
Yes, you need a donor. The Conversions and Hybrids section is the place you want to check out for this sort of thing. I just added a V6 swap thread to the stickies, to join with the LT to LS thread that was already there.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Yes, you need a donor. The Conversions and Hybrids section is the place you want to check out for this sort of thing. I just added a V6 swap thread to the stickies, to join with the LT to LS thread that was already there.
Thanks for the note on the cable. And, I must have brushed past the Conversions section. Sorry about that - could you please move this? Thanks!
Old 01-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Save the manuals!

No reason to move since the question about what to do about the cable answered here and through the Conversion stickies.

Are you looking for more information on what type of cable you need for the donor? If so, that specific question is better answered in the F Body forums.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Are you looking for more information on what type of cable you need for the donor? If so, that specific question is better answered in the F Body forums.
I guess so, if there are different options or requirements for throttle cables. Is the factory 4th gen LS cable not compatible with all LS-specific throttle bodies? I was thinking all of the cable driven LS cars would use a similar cable end that'd work with all of the throttle bodies. In this case.. Would I want to look for an 102mm throttle body that's made specifically for the late 4th gen Fbody? Ultimately, the goal is to find one that will allow me to use a cable driven cruise control with a cable driven throttle. I'll use any throttle cable necessary.

I don't want to run an electronic throttle body/cruise, but if I have to, so be it.

Note to wssix99: I did find that the 98 v6 cruise operates the same way as a 98 v8 cruise, but it uses a different cruise module as I suspected. All of my conversion questions in this topic are now covered, but I'll be sure to use that thread you created later.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:26 PM
Save the manuals!

The external accessories on the LS engines are different from car-to-car. So, the external bits and pieces of a Corvette LS1 are not compatible with a Firebird LS1 of the same vintage. (The pulleys stick out different distances from the engine, accessories are mounted in different locations, etc.)

So, if you want a perfect cable fitment, you'll want to mimic the placement of your cruise control module from the car that you took the cable off of. Likewise, the throttle cable will differ depending on the car, the routing of the cable, the pedal set, etc.

So, I'd think you'd want the cables off of a Formula or T/A and I'd just take a cruise module and cable from the same car while you are at it. Hopefully your stalk can control the V8 module. (I'd think the V6 and V8 would only be different in the strength of the servos or actuators inside.)
Old 01-18-2017, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Anyone keep cruise with their big intake?..
Old 01-26-2017, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Ttt..
Old 01-26-2017, 02:29 PM
Save the manuals!

You are fishing in the wrong pond, here. (probably)

Your question is common to all F-Bodies, so you may try posting a new specific question/thread to the General Maintenance section or one of the External Engine sections.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control, Throttle Cable, & Throttle Body