Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

big block project

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb big block project

i have just got a 84 firebird and am looking for info on installing a big block 455 (headers, motor mounts, etc....) any help would be helpful.

this is going to be a daily driver for me but also goes to the local track to spank them mustangs as well, basicly its going to be a sleeper
Old 05-10-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you mean a pontiac 455. Which BTW is not a big block. Pontiac engines don't run that way. It is a large journal if anything.
Anyway get a hold of Jim Butler Performance, they will set you up.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:19 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
I assume you mean a pontiac 455. Which BTW is not a big block. Pontiac engines don't run that way. It is a large journal if anything.
Anyway get a hold of Jim Butler Performance, they will set you up.
The 455 was considered a big block even though it doesn't compare in size to Chevrolet's big block.

Interesting reads:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/en...ap-sooooo.html
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37905
Old 05-10-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

All Pontiac V-8s use the same block they are just machined differently (except for the 301 pos)

The nomenclature big block and small block is used incorrectly for Ponchos it only applies to Chevy and Ford, and I dont know anything about dodges, dont want to dumb myself down, haha just kidding
Old 05-10-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

opps forgot what I was going to say,

If you need a tranny I have a BOP Turbo 400 or 350 that I pulled from a 70 GP, I am running a Muncie, so I dont need it, plus I dont like slushboxes. So if you want it PM me,

As far as it fitting man that is a wide motor, alot wider and taller and alot more heavy than the SBC that originally came in it, but it can be done.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Teching In

sorry guys i should have been more clear on the engine.....it is a 455 olds rocket motor, i am looking for a 400 trans to put behind it and get rid of the 350 (something a little more bullit proof.

have set the engine assy and trans in the girl and it looks good, have to get the trans NOW so i can finish setting motor mounts

headers or manifolds is the next big question????? no one makes a set for this body with a BB is their a aplication that is close that would fit????
Old 05-13-2006, 08:09 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dave l
headers or manifolds is the next big question????? no one makes a set for this body with a BB is their a aplication that is close that would fit????
I saw in a couple of threads over on thirdgen.org that Hooker makes shorty headers for the 455. You might check into that...
Old 05-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Teching In

just a quick update ---- just ordered new suspension part from spohn (big $$$$$$), just got my BOP 400 turbo and have sent it to the trans shop I tow for to have rebuild done, street strip and hardened parts ($400 total price for parts and build). motor is in car and have to run stock manifolds for now until I put front tube chassis on car (headers wont work with BB olds rocket), will start posting pics this week as i have time to photo car and progress
Old 05-26-2006, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

Nice to see a real Pontiac enthusiast on the site. You'll find all the info you need on this board http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/

Quick Reply: big block project