Go Back   LS1TECH > VEHICLE SPECIFIC FORUMS > Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 06-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1
Default Lightning Damage?

Could lightning strikes cause any electrical disturbance that can damage/burn out the computer or any other electrical equipment in these F-bodies?

There was severe lightning and thunder within a 5 mile radius, and I heard my car's alarm go off a few times. Each time was two horn beeps. The thing is that it they didn't go off exactly when it thundered, but rather when lightning sparkled. Does lightning affect the alarm sensor? If so, would the fact that it tripped the alarm indicate any possible penetration of damage?
Crimsonnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 10

i dont think so unless it hits? im not sure, but ive welded on my car with the battery connected and nothing happend...
ttranssam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

1.21 Gigawatts!!!!:d
jedimaster71472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster71472 View Post
1.21 Gigawatts!!!!:d
make sure you are going at least 88mph.. and check the dates on the time circuts.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

All the exterior panels on the F-bodies are fiberglass, right? If so, how resistant to electricity is fiberglass?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire View Post
All the exterior panels on the F-bodies are fiberglass, right? If so, how resistant to electricity is fiberglass?
Not all panels... qtrs/hoods on non-ss/ws6 cars..etc....

Lightning would penetrate the thin plastic to get to metal...

Yes, lightning does strike cars, usually there is evidence of it though... antenna burned....hotspot...etc..
Old 06-29-2008, 03:42 AM   #7
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

A brand new Acadia with only around 200 miles came in a year ago to the dealership I work at. Struck by lightning while the owner was driving. Onstar antenna was gone. Most of the electrical computers in that car, and there is like 20 or 30, had to be replaced. Insurance picked up the $6000 bill, parts and labor.

At least with an F-body you wouldn't be too screwed if it happened.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:05 AM   #8
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.7iroc-02ws6 View Post
Do you mean quarter panels and hoods are only fiberglass on the non SS and WS6? If so, what are they made of on the SS/WS6?

LS1Formula88, was the radio/stereo system also fried?

If lightning burns the computer, would the check engine light still go on?

A guy from Autozone told me that an essential chip would be fried. I forget what he called it. Maybe the ECU chip? If so, how could you tell from drivability if this chip is destroyed?

Is it possible for lightning to burn a car's system without hitting it directly (i.e. electromagnetic pulses)?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:13 AM   #9
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Seems to me, that if lightning struck and fried the computer, or some essential chip, that it probably wouldn't run at all. I could be wrong though.

R.I.P Timothy S. Gentry (12/19/1972-07/28/2006)
jblack6527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Could lightning strikes cause any electrical disturbance that can damage/burn out the computer or any other electrical equipment in these F-bodies?

There was severe lightning and thunder within a 5 mile radius, and I heard my car's alarm go off a few times. Each time was two horn beeps. The thing is that it they didn't go off exactly when it thundered, but rather when lightning sparkled. Does lightning affect the alarm sensor? If so, would the fact that it tripped the alarm indicate any possible penetration of damage?

My 98 SS did that. We have tons of storms here and about once a week it would go off two beeps a few times. I never knew what caused it, I just went out there and gave her a hug and told her everything would be alright. BTW mine was in a garage.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Do you mean quarter panels and hoods are only fiberglass on the non SS and WS6? If so, what are they made of on the SS/WS6?

LS1Formula88, was the radio/stereo system also fried?

If lightning burns the computer, would the check engine light still go on?

A guy from Autozone told me that an essential chip would be fried. I forget what he called it. Maybe the ECU chip? If so, how could you tell from drivability if this chip is destroyed?

Is it possible for lightning to burn a car's system without hitting it directly (i.e. electromagnetic pulses)?
I believe the stereo still worked. But only after replacing the bcm and other control modules.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #12
TECH Fanatic
1998 Pontiac Firebird
My Garage

Lightning is a HUGE EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interferrence) generator, just listen to any AM radio when its stormy out, you'll hear lightning on it you cant even see / hear otherwise. If the resulting EMI pulse is large enough to be detected by the electronics in your car (vibration sensors for alarm systems are particularly sensitive) it can trigger a response long before the thunder arrives. However, you'll need nearly a direct hit by lightning to cause any permanent damage, although it's not unheard of damage being caused by a close hit which could cause an EMP-like current impulse in the wiring. And yes, fiberglass body panels do nothing for shielding from EMI. Fiberglass is an insulator.

SS/WS6/Hawk hoods are fiberglass, not metal like the Camaro/Z28 and non-WS6/Hawk cars. All other body panels are the same.

Johnny B - '98 Triple-Black WS6 'Vert - M6 - ASC#3030 (1 of 50)
DGM C/F Speedster Tonneau, Pro 5.0, HPP3, MTI C/F Lid & K&N, 160 T-stat, KBDD SFC, BMR STB
4th-Gen Firebird Production Number Breakdowns
4th-Gen Camaro Production Number Breakdowns

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 06-30-2008 at 02:27 PM..
JohnnyBs98WS6Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #13
Teching In
2000 Pontiac Trans Am
My Garage

Cars roll around on rubber tires. Being made of rubber, they insulate the car from ground, much like the coating on a wire. Lightning doesn't hit planes for the same reason, a plane is not grounded. I saw a bolt hit a tree Saturday. It exploded about 40 ft from my TA and 30 ft from a 3rd gen and bark was flying everywhere. Lightning hit that tree because it was near dead and tall, so it soaked up water (which conducts) and acted like a lightning rod. Ground for homes is usually a metal rod buried in the ground with a wire leading to the breaker box.

White looks great clean.
Y2k white Corvette and Trans Am
'67 Camaro full headers 302 Auto
ManicMechanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 31

My alarm has gone off during a huge storm before, all on the sensitivity setting. Mine will go off at the track if a loud enough car goes by.

02 SOM M6 WS6 #2847. Strano springs, Koni, MWC 3.7, SFC, BGRA, PTB, Hurst Billet Plus, Hooker exhaust, March underdrive, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, !AIR, Russell stainless lines, Hawk HPS
_JB_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #15
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicMechanik View Post
Cars roll around on rubber tires. Being made of rubber, they insulate the car from ground, much like the coating on a wire. Lightning doesn't hit planes for the same reason, a plane is not grounded. I saw a bolt hit a tree Saturday. It exploded about 40 ft from my TA and 30 ft from a 3rd gen and bark was flying everywhere. Lightning hit that tree because it was near dead and tall, so it soaked up water (which conducts) and acted like a lightning rod. Ground for homes is usually a metal rod buried in the ground with a wire leading to the breaker box.
Correction. Lightning hits planes all the time. It just arcs through while moving to another cloud or section of a cloud. But the exterior is isolated.

Atleast this is my understanding, I am no plane expert.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #16
TECH Fanatic
1998 Pontiac Firebird
My Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Yeah View Post
Correction. Lightning hits planes all the time. It just arcs through while moving to another cloud or section of a cloud. But the exterior is isolated.

Atleast this is my understanding, I am no plane expert.
Yea, rubber gets wet too. Cars are not immune to getting struck by lightning due to the rubber tires, at best the tires just make it less likely. Air is an insulator as well, but it doesn't stop lightning. You tend to be safer in a car from lightning due to the fact the metal body will conduct the strike around you to the ground, not because it doesn't get hit in the first place.
JohnnyBs98WS6Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #17
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 22
Send a message via AIM to camar0corey

Guy just got struck by lighting on his motorcycle down here in FL the other day.

94 z28 M6. Not much left stock. 99 Silverado, RCSB 4.8 5 speed, level kit, d585 coils, other than that, stock!
"Right now I gotta go get a new Camaro, cause thats where the **** is baby!" -Master Shake ATHF
Parts! Nitrous, LT1, swap plates, etc!!!
camar0corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #18
TECH Senior Member
1964 Ford Medium-Duty
My Garage

Trader Rating: 3
Send a message via ICQ to Formula350 Send a message via AIM to Formula350 Send a message via MSN to Formula350 Send a message via Yahoo to Formula350

Yep, lightning hits planes and cars. I've never heard of a car strike, but I believe that's mostly due to there being something more attractive to strike, and taller (tree). If it struck the car, you'd have some fried electronics, that's why lightning and computers don't mix Also, the "EMP-like" theory was what I was going to mention as well. There is a shiteload of power in a bolt of lightning, and I've heard my computer speakers buzz a bit when a bolt streaks across the sky, well before the thunder.

Planned: Polyurethane kit, IAT Relocation (closer to filter), Custom CAI.
"If your car doesn't run 12's, shorten the track" - Urban (x3Dfx Forum)
Formula350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #19
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 18
Send a message via AIM to 1999Transamman

My T/A beeps the horn twice when lightning strikes, well before the thunder. My SS doesnt, not sure why. If your car was hit by lightning odds are it wouldnt run period, all that voltage would fry the electronics. I fly for the NAVY and my plane has been hit by lightning before, we have static wicks which dissipate the electricity, but it does screw with the electronics, usually kills power to the aircraft for a few seconds, kinda of strange with engines running but nothing else working.
2000 SS #1464-Cop magnet, garage queen
2000 Z28- Neighbors curse it
2002 CETA WS6- M6 ttop, garage queen.
1979 T/A- 6.6L- 63K- ALL ORIGINAL
1999Transamman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #20
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via MSN to wabmorgan Send a message via Yahoo to wabmorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.7iroc-02ws6 View Post
But have you ever seen a 4th gen F-body that was in a hail storm???? I saw a Camaro several years ago.... all the sheet metal was pop marked from the hail... the fiberglass panels were just fine!!!
wabmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:22 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
burn, burned, car, cars, chip, compiter, computer, damage, electrical, fry, hit, lightning, motorcyclists, star, struck, tampa, wiring