Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hamburger

Also, there was no way to get the breakdowns. Once the last car rolled off the line and the St. Therese assembly shut down, we could not get any info from the plant. We needed the help as in years past to correlate the numbers - The plant staff assisted us every year in the final production breakdown up until '02.

Regards,

David
It's not like it matters now, it's been 6 years, but I don't buy it. It's not like the death of the 4th gen was a surprise. Everyone had plenty of time to get things in order. Since we are on the subject, why did you stop prodicing the SS parts? CME, etc.?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by stoverz28
Dave, you haven't answered my question.

How do you guys expect to sell something, based on recognition of the name, to people who have no idea what the hell a Firehawk ever was? Your target demographic has 0 interest in f-bodies so why try to ride off their legacy?

Seems to me you would have been able to sell them with an original name and you wouldn't have a pissed off community of people that are refusing to buy.

We're not really going for the enthusiasts, we are going after the new, potential enthusiasts. Magazines, television shows and strategic placement will bring the new customers in. The Firehawk is a brand, a valuable brand that we own and once these potential customers research the Firehawk brand and see the historic value, they will buy. This is only a part of what I can say about how we will bring in new customers.

Regards,

David
Old 09-22-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave, you haven't answered my question.

How do you guys expect to sell something, based on recognition of the name, to people who have no idea what the hell a Firehawk ever was? Your target demographic has 0 interest in f-bodies so why try to ride off their legacy?

Seems to me you would have been able to sell them with an original name and you wouldn't have a pissed off community of people that are refusing to buy.
i agree, ppl who dont know what a firehawk ever was, will care less what it means, just that it sounds "cool"
the name used on G8 will bring no new loyalty but seems like the true loyalty of fbody owners just got severed

frankly im amazed they didnt go with WS-something
that would have been more proper, IMO
Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Reaper
It's not like it matters now, it's been 6 years, but I don't buy it. It's not like the death of the 4th gen was a surprise. Everyone had plenty of time to get things in order. Since we are on the subject, why did you stop prodicing the SS parts? CME, etc.?
There are many reasons for no longer producing a part such as the CME. Tooling issues, lack of sales, vendors no longer in business - I can go on and on. We are asked many times to bring back a part, but if we can't develop a business case that makes sense to produce without having to keep a part on the shelf for "X" amount of time, it does not make sense to build that part any longer.

Regards,

David
Old 09-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Launching!

I really doubt sport sedan buyers will research the name of a car that's been out of production for 7 model years.

The dealers are probably excited because it will be another chance to add fat "market adjustments".
Old 09-22-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The Firehawk is a brand?? damn, and i thought i had something special...
Old 09-22-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We're not really going for the enthusiasts, we are going after the new, potential enthusiasts. Magazines, television shows and strategic placement will bring the new customers in. The Firehawk is a brand, a valuable brand that we own and once these potential customers research the Firehawk brand and see the historic value, they will buy. This is only a part of what I can say about how we will bring in new customers.

Regards,

David
Ok, but honestly how many of those in your target demographic do you really think will do any type research other than what the sticker says on the window and what they read in a magazine?

BMW and other high end performance sedan owners most likely do little background research before they buy. Those who do the research are part of the car enthusiast crowd which is obviously pissed right now, and as you said not part of the target demographic.

On a side note, sorry if I come off as another pissed off a$$hole, and I appreciate your responses to such a hot issue.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Launching!

SLP failed the drug test this is a firehawk.....

http://www.fquick.com/videos/1992_Firehawk_/138
Old 09-22-2008, 09:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by DaSkinnyGuy
SLP failed the drug test this is a firehawk.....

http://www.fquick.com/videos/1992_Firehawk_/138

That's my '92 dealer video that we shot at willow springs - we'll probably do a similar video for the new Firehawk.

Regards,

David
Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Launching!

That's my '92 dealer video that we shot at willow springs - we'll probably do a similar video for the new Firehawk.

Regards,

David
Can I bring my moms chevy cobalt down to the slp shop and turn it into a Firehawk cobalt.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ok, but honestly how many of those in your target demographic do you really think will do any type research other than what the sticker says on the window and what they read in a magazine?

BMW and other high end performance sedan owners most likely do little background research before they buy. Those who do the research are part of the car enthusiast crowd which is obviously pissed right now, and as you said not part of the target demographic.

On a side note, sorry if I come off as another pissed off a$$hole, and I appreciate your responses to such a hot issue.
Thanks and no problem, I've got some pretty thick skin.

Our research shows that like the current enthusiasts, the majority will do online research. We will provide a world class micro-site for the Firehawk and give the potential buyer all the ammo he or she needs to be well versed in the history of the Firehawk.

Regards,

David
Old 09-22-2008, 09:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by DaSkinnyGuy
Can I bring my moms chevy cobalt down to the slp shop and turn it into a Firehawk cobalt.
No, but you're welcome to bring it down and we'll install headers and exhaust for her:

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=30077
http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=31791

Regards,

David
Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Yes, but the rants will not change anything - it's a done deal.
Regards,
David
Wow, 6 pages of hate for abuse of the Firehawk name plate. Good thing you asked your "focus group."

Your correct - no need to rant - I will rant w/ my pocket book, and buy elsewhere as GM lost it long ago.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

how many are planned to be plucked from the assembly line? how limited will the '09's be? i'm starting to lighten up a little bit... but it will take some time with gaining knowledge of the competition
Old 09-22-2008, 09:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by hawk584
how many are planned to be plucked from the assembly line?

I'm hoping to be able to tell you in the next 30 days.

Regards,

David
Old 09-22-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'll warm up, it will just take time to adjust to the competition
Old 09-22-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with everyone on the name means something to enthusiast like us. Its business I understand.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

Whoring out at its finest, just like Chevrolet and "SS".
Old 09-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Launching!

if the name was different and something that hasent been used everyone of us would be glad about it. But the firehawk name has made its history under the firebird. Theres a huge difference, the firebird has 2 doors, the G8 has 4 doors. This is great SLP is willing to do this with the G8 but call it something different. Take the time to make a unique name so the owner feels they are driving a unique machine. Just like the firebird firehawk those owners feel like they have their own unique firebird. Once these owners who have never heard of the firehawk name find out the firehawk named existed on such a nice firebird it will make them feel good but yet not great as if you called it lets say the Pontiac Shaker G8. because its going to shake the competion up and the ground when the pedal is slammed now how hard was that to come up with i guarntee that name would hit the spot. Who ever reads this vote if you like the name i came up with.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The one thing I do agree on with SLP is that the response to the new "firehawk" has been overwhelming!

I just wonder if they will continue to claim its all been positive....

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss