Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:45 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
I think some of you are taking this too far. It's a new car, new idea - with an old twist, or as the flyer says, Firehawk - A legend Reborn. Be fair and give it some time. I'm done for the night, time to spend time with my wife and kids.

Regards,

David
Thanks for hanging in there and actually addressing some of the comments. Just think this through. You'll make plenty of money without discouraging enthusiasts by utilizing another name.

You could have made a poll on several websites for opinions. How about something like Pontiac did for the G8 ST and have a name submission? They considered El Camino, but with the outrage, they smartened up. It's not a done deal - EVER.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps MORE....
Old 09-22-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Folks, this is not about dilluting the Firehawk brand or just slapping some decals on a car.

As sad as it is, there will not be another Firebird or Trans Am so that we can do a "Coupe" Firehawk. Once you get past that and understand that we are in the performance business and have a desire to make fun & fast cars, you can understand our business decision to use the brand recognition of Firehawk on the G8. It's the top of the line Pontiac in terms of performance and value, it's a no-brainer on which vehicle we had to use.

Regards,

David
That is exactly what it is. The car should stand on its own performance characteristics. There should be no need to bastardize the Firehawk brand.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Thumbs down

I'm amazed this is such a surprise to everyone. Yea I agree, dubbing this Firehawk is a direct slap in the face to the namesake, but GM's been sucking wind for years now. They'll bastardize any name imaginable to try and make a quick buck. Look at the "GTO"...lame. Now a new "Firehawk" 4 DOOR?! Congrats, you dropped the ball again, surprise surprise.

Look at the SS namesake, it means dirt now. Any pile of crap with an added 15-20hp gets an "SS" badge, YAY!!

Keep an eye out, soon every GM car/truck with a supercharger will be dubbed "ZR1" because they "don't want to let the name die"...at least, not with dignity anyway.

Hate to be a hater but I hope this thing bites it, BIG TIME. GM deserves to take the hit for this intelligence failure of epic proportions.

But hey...at least the half dozen Firehawk owners who were used as consultants will buy one!
Old 09-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Dave: Not cool. I am glad I no longer own the 94 Hawk and 01 Hawk that I once did.
Was TA Jack
Old 09-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Well, at least SLP stayed on to argue. That takes guts.

Now, they need to shove LSAs into 2010 Camaros. Total redemption.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nighthawk355x

Look at the SS namesake, it means dirt now. Any pile of crap with an added 15-20hp gets an "SS" badge, YAY!!
Wasn't that what the "SS" package was worth on the 4th gen Camaros? For that matter, the WS6 *and* Firehawk as well?

PS - I must have rec'd a freak SS. It has 95 more HP than the "regular piles of crap" 5.3's. Unless I'm supposed to add up all 5 "SS" badges which are now worth ~19hp each.

It runs the track times it does due to the embroidery on the seats!

LMAO @ the haters!
Old 09-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

You know, SLP left a pretty bad taste in my mouth after the fall of the F-body. The way the SLP forums were deleted, the fact that we got no option breakdowns for our 02's, the fact that they no longer stock Y2Y replacements, etc. If I remember correctly Dave himself stated that he just wanted to be done with the F-Body towards the end. I had 2 SS's, both with almost every Y2Y option. I also had several SLP aftermarket parts. I own both an 05 GTO and an 07 300C SRT8, I don't know if that puts me in your target demographic,but your treatment of me as an SLP customer in 02 means I will never buy another SLP product.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:43 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ehh, fact is us car enthusists are very different than the corporate brass that make decisions. We have a passion for the cars and lifestyle, but it's obvious that the folks that were in charge of making a four door Firehawk did so for financial gains and we as consumers have to either accept that or decide to use our wallets to express our disapproval.

Dave has stated that it's a done deal, and was done for brand recognition, and in not so many words, because they can since they own the name.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Reaper
You know, SLP left a pretty bad taste in my mouth after the fall of the F-body. The way the SLP forums were deleted, the fact that we got no option breakdowns for our 02's, the fact that they no longer stock Y2Y replacements, etc. If I remember correctly Dave himself stated that he just wanted to be done with the F-Body towards the end. I had 2 SS's, both with almost every Y2Y option. I also had several SLP aftermarket parts. I own both an 05 GTO and an 07 300C SRT8, I don't know if that puts me in your target demographic,but your treatment of me as an SLP customer in 02 means I will never buy another SLP product.

The forums were deleted because SLP Engineering was getting ready to shut down and I had moved on to my own company (I've only been back with SLP for a year now). When GM shut down St. Therese, there was nobody to correlate the numbers with and nobody at GM corporate could do it. I only have a final build count of 11191, and I cannot break the content down because of missing GM info.

Am I the reason fuel is also $4.00 per gallon?

Regards,

David
Old 09-22-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

True, it wont change.... It will have to flop first before anything is done about that, and by then it is way too late.

Oh well, I believe the people who call this the next GTO.... Because it is... And the best part about the GTO is people actually LIKED that idea before it flopped
Old 09-22-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i currently own 3 gm vehicles all LSx powered with a total of 7 LSx vehicles owned to date. 1 linked to SLP, 02' Onyx Blck SS,
this site is the number 1 source for any LSx related topic. Period.

i personally believe the name Firehawk has been diluted .

but hey, if u can make a buck and alienate the people who stuck around loyal after the smoke cleared over the death of the Firehawk in 02'
go for it, good luck SLP
youre gonna need it.

Last edited by NemeSS; 09-22-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

The forums were deleted because SLP Engineering was getting ready to shut down and I had moved on to my own company (I've only been back with SLP for a year now). When GM shut down St. Therese, there was nobody to correlate the numbers with and nobody at GM corporate could do it. I only have a final build count of 11191, and I cannot break the content down because of missing GM info.

Am I the reason fuel is also $4.00 per gallon?

Regards,

David
It's not just that they were deleted, but the way you deleted them. You showed no respect. SLP could have, should have made sure we got the breakdowns, but at the end no one really cared. Good luck to you and SLP. Like some have said, you're gonna need it.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Reaper
It's not just that they were deleted, but the way you deleted them. You showed no respect. SLP could have, should have made sure we got the breakdowns, but at the end no one really cared. Good luck to you and SLP. Like some have said, you're gonna need it.

Do have any idea how much sleep I lost over that deal? I ran those forums for six years and only had moderated help for the last two. My wife was ready to divorce me over those forums and F-Body events that I attended. I gave my soul to SLP, the F-Body Enthusiasts and those forums and the only way to shut it down gracefully was to do it quickly. We notified all of the other forums admins a few hours ahead of time, even Tony & John at LS1 tech knew to get ready for the influx of new folks. The way we did it was the only way to do and it tore me apart - please dont' tell me we didn't care.

Also, there was no way to get the breakdowns. Once the last car rolled off the line and the St. Therese assembly shut down, we could not get any info from the plant. We needed the help as in years past to correlate the numbers - The plant staff assisted us every year in the final production breakdown up until '02.

As for needing luck, thanks, but I don't think we'll need it - the response on the dealer side has been incredible.

Regards,

David
Old 09-22-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far, it looks like the vast majority of people are angry and can't get around the decision to use the Firehawk name. People will tend to fly off the handle and spew thier first reaction in an angry post. This is understandable, but I'm curious to hear what people think about the car itself after they have given their $0.02 on the name choice.

I don't think the G8 is a bad looking car, and it does offer some high performance options to folks who want or need a real backseat and a trunk.

It's obvious that people are angry, but it looks like its not a matter of if this car is available but when it will be available.

I know we don't have alot of performance info yet, but if you put aside the name choice (and I know this is no easy feat), what do you all think about the concept of a G8 with some major performance mods and a warranty?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The one positive of reading though all the posts (and I truly appreciate the many non-Firehawk or even Firebird owners that took their time to post) is that everyone here is what keeps the pride in the F-Body Firehawk alive and continue to know its true heritage before being "sold-out."
Old 09-22-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk
The one positive of reading though all the posts (and I truly appreciate the many non-Firehawk or even Firebird owners that took their time to post) is that everyone here is what keeps the pride in the F-Body Firehawk alive and continue to know its true heritage before being "sold-out."
I agree, well put. Many people do online research nowdays before the purchase of a car. I can only hope they see one of the five forums online where there is about a 90% opposition to it.

Our cars may get old but the love of an F-body will NEVER DIE
Old 09-22-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave, you haven't answered my question.

How do you guys expect to sell something, based on recognition of the name, to people who have no idea what the hell a Firehawk ever was? Your target demographic has 0 interest in f-bodies so why try to ride off their legacy?

Seems to me you would have been able to sell them with an original name and you wouldn't have a pissed off community of people that are refusing to buy.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk
this is exactly what I was thinking and was going to comment about. It's nice to see the fbody folks sticking together like this, especially 7 model years after the last one rolled off the line.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stoverz28
Dave, you haven't answered my question.

How do you guys expect to sell something, based on recognition of the name, to people who have no idea what the hell a Firehawk ever was? Your target demographic has 0 interest in f-bodies so why try to ride off their legacy?

Seems to me you would have been able to sell them with an original name and you wouldn't have a pissed off community of people that are refusing to buy.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss