Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
Royal Bobcat is a mark of the Royal Bobcat Racing Team.

Although we (SLP) own the mark "Bobcat", we are using Firehawk as the name.

Regards,

David
Well, if you use it, be prepared for the backlash from current and former Firehawk owners and the bad press that you WILL get from the car magazines over the use of the name.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Ew. G8 is a cool car, BUT does not deserve the Firehawk badging. Sorry just doesn't work on a 4-door car that is a DAILY DRIVER. Seriously GM and people feeding them these idea LOVE to water down once coveted badges. SS and now the Firehawk badge can be thrown in the joke pile. Whats next a Vibe WS6 or maybe maybe a Cobalt Z06?

Eww I just re-read and your putting this badge on a 6 banger? Total slap in the face to the badge now. Congrats on ruining a name

Last edited by chemicalstylez; 09-25-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

look what pops up in Google when searching for "Firehawk G8"...lol Should make for some interesting reading for those actually interested in this car not knowing what a "Firehawk" is

Old 09-25-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM did right when they went to the G8 name, instead of calling it something from the past, like lets say what happened in 2004 and the name of GTO...

But it works for me, if I can buy a 2009 Firehawk for $10,000 under sticker price, in 2011 when it is sitting on a dealer lot, I'll consider it. (Like I did on my 2006 GTO, paid $10K under sticker with rebates, and gm card money)

Ryan
Old 09-25-2008, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Should call it the G8 ZR-1...

Nice to see you are still reading and responding Dave. That shows that at least you are standing behind your decision, and not ignoring the (sometimes constructive)criticism. It is appreciated.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

I like the Idea of SLP doing a kick-*** G8. If you wanna name it "Firehawk", well, that's your right. If YOU think that its a heritage name, well, okay.

The name Firehawk, "heritage" issue aside... just doesnt sound right on the G8. Firebird--> Firehawk... well that makes a lot of sense to me. Why didnt you call it the Camaro Firehawk then?

Either way, I like the concept, I just dont think the name flows off the tongue well. Thats my $.o2
Old 09-25-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chemicalstylez
Ew. G8 is a cool car, BUT does not deserve the Firehawk badging. Sorry just doesn't work on a 4-door car that is a DAILY DRIVER. Seriously GM and people feeding them these idea LOVE to water down once coveted badges. SS and now the Firehawk badge can be thrown in the joke pile. Whats next a Vibe WS6 or maybe maybe a Cobalt Z06?

Eww I just re-read and your putting this badge on a 6 banger? Total slap in the face to the badge now. Congrats on ruining a name
Totally Agree
Old 09-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
SLP ruined a great opportunity to be the AMG or SRT of GM...
This would play on brand equity in a way that makes sense ... unlike calling a four door sedan a "Firehawk."

Fire"hawk" was obviously based on Fire"bird" - message being "a badder bird." If a car isn't a Firebird in the first place, how can it be a "Firehawk?" Stupid.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Dave(SLP)

Don't you remember when the "new" GTO came out in 2004, ALOT of people didn't like that GM called it a GTO. Go ahead and call the G8 a Firehawk, but at least
give them the OPTION BOX to get the package,....WITHOUT THE FIREHAWK STICKERS
SLAPPED ON THE DOOR.

$10.00 says you won't sell 10 with the stickers.

p.s call it something else!

Last edited by wildta; 09-26-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

WTF..... Firehawk goes ONLY on Firebirds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That just makes no sense what so ever.

Why not something like... G8SSE from the Bonneville SSE name heritage.

Or maybe SLP G8 or G8SLP.

Last edited by wabmorgan; 09-25-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
I disprove of calling anything but a firebird a firehawk
bad move in my opinion.
agreed completely, they should just call it the G8 SLP, keeps the name classic yet separates the special edition g8. then again gm knows how to make a joke out of epic names.....cobalt ss psh
Old 09-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Teching In

i hate the idea of the name firehawk being on anything other than a firebird as much as any of you but did it ever dawn on anyone that there is no such thing as bad press.

in just a couple days slp has gotten a ton of free press and by pissing a lot of us off has only made the word spread faster on the hottetst, fastest G8 in the market.

tihnk about it. had they named it something better or new we would have all looked at it and gone, wow thats awesome and not even post and probably not tell all our friends how cool it was.

but use a name with emotion attached to it and let the wildfire spread.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just dont see the upsides to this idea... with a completely new era of cars out (the fuel friendly sports cars) and companies trying to produce the old school cars in the new school way and failing (GTO), why not start a new era of car with a new name... why bring back a name that is so close to a very small amount of people that nobody else understands but basically the owners of f-bodies...

but when i got to thinking about it also and tried to do a little research on the topic, what other name does slp have that they have tagged to a car and followed in their history? sure, the SS camaro has slp options, but when the SS name is said the only thing that comes to mind is GM... and nobody i have heard of calls their car a camaro ss slp edition... why not try something else first? the family of firehawk owners is such a close relationship that the owners even call their cars by which number they were produced and keep track of cars that are still alive and totaled.. i cant see this happening with the G8 firehawk owners... i just cant see the benefits of using a name from a past era of cars in the new era... and i'm not trying to disrespect you or your company by any means... anyone that can take 21 pages worth of criticism has my respect, but was there any thought about maybe trying a different name or the consequences of failure of this idea to the f-body generation of the firehawk?

and also, about how you said that the dealer response has been great to the idea of the firehawk... wasn't that also the case for the GTO and then dealers still today have them on the lots trying to get rid of them?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For the folks who aren't too keen on it.

What about judging the car on it's merits? And then just debadge?

However, marketing studies are only as good as the population sampled. Hence why the dang toaster on wheels camry performs well. But there's also a bajillion possible names/nicknames to use for the car.

I am however, disappointed that the aftermarket didn't jump on the G8 as much as I was hoping for. I thought someone would have done a T56 swap by now. But that's another argument for another day.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OKcruising
For the folks who aren't too keen on it.

What about judging the car on it's merits? And then just debadge?

However, marketing studies are only as good as the population sampled. Hence why the dang toaster on wheels camry performs well. But there's also a bajillion possible names/nicknames to use for the car.

I am however, disappointed that the aftermarket didn't jump on the G8 as much as I was hoping for. I thought someone would have done a T56 swap by now. But that's another argument for another day.

You could put the Firehawk name on a broomstick, doesn't mean it isn't a great broomstick, just shouldn't be there.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea, SLP is getting a lot of 'press' lately around the enthusiasts forums.
Too bad 'bad press' doesn't help pay the bills.

Frustrating thing about it, ..., "Its a done deal" keeps being reiterated, over & over, ...
Meaning: No one is listening, We've made our decision.

It's another sad day in Hawkville.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Unless production has started already it is NOT a done deal. I am another proud owner of a REAL FIREHAWK and just like it has been stated many times already this is a total slap in the face to your most loyal and faithful customers. Please reconsider changing the name... SLP G8 would be soooooo much better.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used to (and still do on occasions) get asked:
"Nice looking Bird, but what's Firehawk"

Heritage, performance, styling, and limited production numbers. I would go overboard explaining the aspects.

Can you imagine what people will say now when they see a G8 Firehawk?
Never, EVER, did I see a survey on the FAOA boards asking us members what our perceptions would be? Of course not, most people would PROBABLY not be to happy.

Agreed as stated earlier, we supported both Pontiac and SLP toward evolving their product lines. SLP CAN DO anything they would like, but with good responses, so will the bad ones. I've spoken w/several non-FAOA Firehawk members and they too, aren't to pleased either. We take great pride in owning these vehicles, NOT to be degraded into a "Z" class body style.

Regardless, I got my Hawk, and will be pleased regardless. Last from me, as life goes on with more important issues!

I mean no disrepect to anyone (or organization), as these are tough economic times.

I just hope these G8's don't have sail panel issues too (lmao)
GM producing cars w/TSB's and then don't honor reparations is not a good start. No more GM's PERIOD for me!

Dave, put yourself in our shoes for a moment, and think how we feel? I had to wait 10 years to acquire a Hawk, and then struggled financially!

Last edited by Firehawk526; 09-25-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Hawk6spd
Should call it the G8 ZR-1...

Nice to see you are still reading and responding Dave. That shows that at least you are standing behind your decision, and not ignoring the (sometimes constructive)criticism. It is appreciated.
Even if his comments answer/discuss/defend nothing?

All I have heard so far is "Its a done deal"... Oh, sorry. I take that back, thats an answer

That can also be said much easier and quicker with the little "STFU" smile we have!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Teching In

I love the idea of a g8 performance car great super neat blah blah blah. But why in the hell call it a firehawk? Get creative here mr hamburger. You have totally pissed off a owner of TWO firehawks. I love my 94 and just bought a 02 vert and what you are doing to the name firehawk is just shameful. I suppose all of us owners already paid YOU so why not break it off in our ***......thanks 4 shitting on my somewhat unique car!!!! maybe chevy or slp will build a zo6 cobalt, go run with that and leave the firehawk alone!!!

Last edited by Nine Ball; 09-25-2008 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss