Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I almost believed we were a minority with a crazy opinion....guess I was wrong....Car is getting a lot of attention, too bad is not as positive as it was made us to believe. What would dealers think if they saw this thread?? This IS the real target population of such a car!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
I almost believed we were a minority with a crazy opinion....guess I was wrong....Car is getting a lot of attention, too bad is not as positive as it was made us to believe. What would dealers think if they saw this thread?? This IS the real target population of such a car!
The only real negative attention is from the F-Body community. For every negative post I get here, I'm getting 3 positive emails from consumers ready for the new Firehawk. Here's an example I just got a few minutes ago:

David,

Greetings from Atlanta, GA! I just about fell off the sofa when I saw the news flash on Autoblog.com regarding the new Firehawk G8. Kudos to you guys for recognizing the G8 as a legitimate musclecar worthy of SLP's attention. To heck with the F-Body owners who are upset about this. They probably would have argued that a Tempest could never be a performance car.....

My father was a Pontiac guy, and was the original owner of a '62 Grand Prix, '63 Star Chief, '69 RAIII GTO, and a '77 Can Am to name a few. I had a '79 Trans Am in college - I miss that car dearly.

When the F-Body Firehawks were out I was only in my 20's and couldn't afford them, but now and it's my turn! My first question is HOW SOON? Also, can I get a copy of the G8 teaser brochure, and lastly, have the Atlanta area Pontiac dealers been named to sell the car? I just need to know whos door I need to camp out in front of.

Thanks again for doing your part in keeping the musclecar era alive and well!

Best regards,
Robert

The dealers are still emailing and the magazines are still calling and I can barely keep up.

Regards,

David
Old 09-25-2008, 06:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Every major automotive media website that has mentioned the Firehawk G8 has also mentioned the negative press it is receiving, along with a link to this thread.

I'm not seeing evidence of this "overwhelming positive response" that was mentioned early on. Even the Mustang and other GM enthusiast sites are saying this decision is poor.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
The only real negative attention is from the F-Body community. For every negative post I get here, I'm getting 3 positive emails
Are you sure about that? How about some Corvette owners? Would those target 30-50 yr old performance enthusiasts fit your criteria?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2139389

I'll make you a bet David, I'll post this thread on every major automotive message board with a link to this thread and I will guarantee you that your imaginary "3 positives for every negative" statement will not hold true. If our words aren't being heard out there, then how come those auto media sites make it a point to mention lowly ls1tech.com?

Bet?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Alright Tony,

I'm not taking any bets. ls1tech has had it's fair amount of media coverage over this. I'm standing by what I've said and I think that it's about time I stop until the next batch of info is ready.

You've all seen months old teaser shots which may or may not depict what the actual 2009 Firehawk looks like.

When we are ready to release some "Spy" shots if you want to call them that, we will release them through the proper agencies first, which is what should have happened before the brochures made it to the web. Once the magazines have had the car in hand and tested, I believe the performance and handling will speak volumes about what a Firehawk, "The Legend Reborn" is all about.

Regards,

David Hamburger
Old 09-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Anyone ever paid a premium price for something then found the same thing for sale at a discounted rate? Or bought that item at a high end shop only to discover that walmart carries it? Thanks Mr Hamburger for bringing the firehawk to walmart! Don't go limited production either i wanna see a firehawk on every corner!

great car just please for the love of god change the name

v6 4 door firehawk........

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 09-26-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
SLP ruined a great opportunity to be the AMG or SRT of GM...

SLP G8 would have instilled all the same emotions/passions of the firehawk without offending or alienating a large community. (Provided the package is designed and executed well)

Also previous firehawk/fourth gen owners are the PERFECT demographic for the vehicle. I've previously owned four fourth gens and a corvette, modded to the hilt and now with wife and kids drive an SRT8...An SLP G8 or GXP would have been high on the list for consideration...
Very good point. A brand new vehicle like the G8 GXP offers the rare opportunity for a company like SLP a clean slate to create a new aftermarket car that would virtually be a guaranteed hit.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:31 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll say it again, if the f-body community isn't of concerne to SLP anymore, why bother spending time on a site that is comprised of ~70-80% current or former f-body owners.

I'm sorry, it bothers me that a sponsor could care less about what we think, but still want us to spend money on their products.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

After reading 22 pages its time for me to make my comment.... I sure hope GMMG is the one responsible for any warrantied performance work on the 5th Gen Camaro! SLP Doesn't Deserve to touch that ride.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I'll say it again, if the f-body community isn't of concerne to SLP anymore, why bother spending time on a site that is comprised of ~70-80% current or former f-body owners.

I'm sorry, it bothers me that a sponsor could care less about what we think, but still want us to spend money on their products.

You are putting words in my mouth which are not true - The F-body community does matter to us and we've heard you. You, the community have to understand that I can comment no further until the next batch of information is ready which will be within 30-60 days. Have an open mind, these were just teaser shots which were done a while ago and as I have said before, may or may not represent what we are actually doing.

Does it not matter that we've been doing this for 20+ Years? We've been in the Hi-Performance Industry since the sixties working with Chrysler, Hamburger's Oil Pans, etc.. We've built 77,000 OEM Vehicles for GM and Ford and we know where we are going with this. SLP is the largest volume niche vehicle, second stage manufacturer period - we still have some things up our sleeves.

Regards,

David
Old 09-25-2008, 09:06 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only real negative attention is from the F-Body community. For every negative post I get here, I'm getting 3 positive emails from consumers ready for the new Firehawk. Here's an example I just got a few minutes ago:

The dealers are still emailing and the magazines are still calling and I can barely keep up.

Regards,

David
That buyer would buy your modified G8 even if it were called "General Tso."
Old 09-25-2008, 09:11 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You are putting words in my mouth which are not true - The F-body community does matter to us and we've heard you. You, the community have to understand that I can comment no further until the next batch of information is ready which will be within 30-60 days. Have an open mind, these were just teaser shots which were done a while ago and as I have said before, may or may not represent what we are actually doing.

Does it not matter that we've been doing this for 20+ Years? We've been in the Hi-Performance Industry since the sixties working with Chrysler, Hamburger's Oil Pans, etc.. We've built 77,000 OEM Vehicles for GM and Ford and we know where we are going with this. SLP is the largest volume niche vehicle, second stage manufacturer period - we still some things up our sleeves.

Regards,

David
Dave,

I can speak for everyone when we say that we are happy that you are (SLP) are modifying a G8, that's not our problem. It's just tough to understand why you would name a vehicle that has no correlation to the Firebird a Firehawk. So please stop thinking that we have a problem with SLP modifying the G8, it's simply the concept of a 4 door, possibly a v6 Firehawk.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

not bad but when I think of FireHawk I think of a TA. wonder what the price tag will be.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Launching!

"To heck with the F-Body owners who are upset about this."

Wow... were those owners that made SLP what they frigin' are!!!

The heck with us f-body owners than....were worthless I guess???

That email was such a kick in the nuts. Thats coming from somone who never even owned one. At least I owned one for a brief time.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell.... might as well slap Firebird badges on the G8 and call it a day.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

G8 Trans Am
With glass panoramic roof to bring the T-Tops into the 21st century!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^Would that have 2 t-tops or 4????
Old 09-25-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Alright Tony,

I'm not taking any bets. ls1tech has had it's fair amount of media coverage over this. I'm standing by what I've said and I think that it's about time I stop until the next batch of info is ready.

You've all seen months old teaser shots which may or may not depict what the actual 2009 Firehawk looks like.

When we are ready to release some "Spy" shots if you want to call them that, we will release them through the proper agencies first, which is what should have happened before the brochures made it to the web. Once the magazines have had the car in hand and tested, I believe the performance and handling will speak volumes about what a Firehawk, "The Legend Reborn" is all about.

Regards,

David Hamburger
I'm not going to read though 20+ pages of bickering, so forgive me if this was already mentioned. But you seem to just "not get it".
I don't think anyone is going to deny the performance of the new G8, its a great car, but it doesn't make sense to call it "FireHawk".
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is FireHawk not a spin off name of "FireBird", being that "Hawk" is a more fierce "bird", or is that just a coincidence? The name "FireHawk" would only make sense on a "FireBird".
This would be like Ford putting the "Cobra" name on the Taurus, that doesn't make any sense.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Alright Tony,

I'm not taking any bets.
OWNED....you are not willing to take them because you sir are lying. You are starting to see what we all "f-body" owners have been seeing since day 1.....epic fail.

We all have been criticizing the name....even if you make the car levitate, keeping it a Firehawk is just ridiculous...and your sleeves are getting shorter.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Does it not matter that we've been doing this for 20+ Years?

everything youve worked for in the last 20 years to make the SLP brand image the one it is today means NOT A DAMN THING if you bite the hand the fed you.
SLP would be nowhere without the fbody community and this is how you repay us. thanks for nothing

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss