Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tripps
Firehawk is a sacred name to Firebird owners!!! Now you're making it like a Type-R sticker. SLP I'm done with your company.
Exactly, a firehawk always has and only should be a firebird, period. Putting those decals on another car is a slap in the face to everyone to ever buy a firehawk. You could easily come up with much better names for your G8's, why would you ruin the mystique that you started with the real firehawks? You have disappointed, let down, and ignored the very people who helped you get where you guys are today. Like many other's on here, I'll never buy anything from you guys again.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The firehawk name worked because it was on a car called the firebird. Why didnt you use the firehawk name on the camaros you modified back then as well? Cause that **** would be stupid, just like this.

You are only proving that you possess ZERO creativity. You've obviously squandered the revenue gained from making real firehawks, if you hadn't you wouldn't shamelessly squeeze every dollar from what the firehawk name has become. If your trying to play the name recognition game then name the car G8 SLP GT, that way you can just do that to everything you ever modify for all of eternity. Instead of destroying what exclusivity and prestige firehawk owners are about to lose. I have always liked firehawks, still wanted to buy one. Now I'm not so sure, because of this "done deal" I definitely wont be buying anything from you directly, I also wont be recommending your company in the future to anyone. You blow off the very people who made your company what it is, good plan.

Last edited by Nine Ball; 10-06-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

That sucks...

It's a nice looking car, but I definitely don't think a chubby sports sedan deserves the badge of a sleek, classy, pissed off muscle car.

It doesn't even make sense if I was in yall's shoes.. I'd much rather think of a creative G8 specific badge to make it stand out and make it more rare, so I could start a whole new line of heritage products to make money off of. Not to mention still make money off the existing market of Firehawk stuff. But now I think owners of both cars won't pay as much if the badge is being shared by another car. It'd bring the entire heritage value down and kill rarity of both cars. I just don't understand. Was it laziness? What is the reasoning behind trademarking the Firehawk badge 2 months ago to bring it back and hurt the rarity of both special edition packages? Could ya'll not think of a better name? Didn't want to spend the time to trademark another name? I think it's safe to say the consumers didn't choose the name...
Old 10-06-2008, 10:08 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Comp G8 is cool.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Here is a for instance....if pontiac came out with a G8 coupe...would it be ok if slp used the firehawk name on that cuz it is not a "family sedan"?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

just to let you guys know, I am no way trying to defend SLP in anyway...Personaly I think that G8 firehawk sounds dumb....just like cobalt ss sounds dumb or how the corvette blue devil would have sounded dumn, but being in an industry that goes on reputation i understand why SLP is doing this. The G8 doenst have the reputation that a Corvette or a Camaro has. You can name the ZR1 what ever you want and it will sell (personaly i thought Stingray would have been really cool but what do i know.). SLP is just trying to use a proven name to sell a new product. Thats marketing 101 even though we dont think its the best idea. I say G8 SC would sound cool if it had a blower...but then you have this argument is SC a ford thing?
Old 10-06-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by badaSS346
Here is a for instance....if pontiac came out with a G8 coupe...would it be ok if slp used the firehawk name on that cuz it is not a "family sedan"?
Does "G8 Coupe" contain the word Firebird...?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:15 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Posts deleted. Please do not have conversations about SS's, Comp T/As etc...

Keep this thread on subject PLEASE
Old 10-06-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

awesome.i will buy a G8 Firehawk right after i buy that Malibu Z06. Its just rediculous that a car barely affiliated with pontiac much less the firebird, will get the name of an iconic american sports/muscle car. This is one firehawk owner who does not agree.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by steveo346
well....its a nice car...but dont think it should carry the firehawk name.....

will you put a "the judge" badge on a pontiac grand prix.....i think not!
Good Lord, don't give them any ideas.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn that's stupid. most people won't consider it because of the name. not only because of history but because of the bird thing.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

I really like the new g8 the 09 model is going to be bad ***, but why name it firehawk? I still don't understand why you would use that name after it has been on the firebird for so many years. Hopefully they rename this thing before SEMA if not they better have a heavy duty flame suit on...
Old 10-07-2008, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

I am not a Firehawk owner but I do agree that using the name is an ill-advised move.

Obviously the move to use the Firehawk name must have been one that was well thought over, but you have to think about just who exactly was thinking it over. People inside SLP management/marketing, people who have a hand in the Firehawk community even. Most of these are professional opinions but they just simply do not reflect what the market truly wants.

It is written all over the walls that corporate opinion/marketing/management is no longer in synch with the general population and as a direct result, Americans are buying Japanese cars because of their unique styling/marketing compared to our cars.

You know what would be smart? Getting your boys out into the demographic that you're aiming for and truly find out what they want. I'm sure you remember that naming contest for that Pontiac truck, David. I think something like that for the G8 performance package would be prudent. Not just on the name either, but for -what- actually the performance package entails, be it a supercharged motor or a turbocharged one, give people options to work with. Think outside the box man, that is what we need now! And I mean -right now-!!!

Doing things the way they've always been done is going to make this "Firehawk" crash and burn. I am not a marketing professional, but it does not take one to read what is so clearly written.

Its time to become abstract, Dave. Especially while there is still time for this performance package to be reformed. The box is not as small as you or your colleagues seem think it is.

I doubt you will even read this, but when push comes to shove I'll wager you guys will be scratching your heads wondering "What happened?" and by that point its going to be far too late and I will be sitting back sipping on my Jack and Coke shaking my head in disappointment.

I don't want to see you go down, but with the way things are going... well, if nothing else this ought to be somewhat interesting.

Last edited by Masochist; 10-07-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To: Masochist . . .

GM has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with this . . . .
Old 10-07-2008, 05:23 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Correct, this is 100% SLP's decision to use the Firehawk name on the G8. Conversions will take place at SLP, not on the GM assembly line.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the g8 cant use a name like firehawk because of the its name as a g8, it has no similarities, now the name formula from a firebird would be more like it because it does not use the name fire in it and it could be taken by people, u can say a "g8 formula" is what is needed compared to "g8 firehawk", i am not saying use formula, but if ur going to take a name from something take one that can relate to the car, what is really needed is a new name specifically for the g8 like caddy did with the cts making it a "cts-v", slp will be making a big mistake and i think after seeing all the hipe about it, like us on here will change the name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 06:41 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just thought I'd link to a thread I just started in the Special Edition Vehicles section...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/special-edition-vehicles/998442-classic-slp-firehawk-performance-parts.html

DH, just a reminder about your roots and the Firehawk name...
Old 10-07-2008, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

So GM had no financial hand in this whatsoever? This would be an option at the dealer would it not? Is GM's only gain here going to come from increased sales? I laughed out loud typing that last sentence. Well I guess this is a bad thread to be asking that question.

I still stand behind what I said, however. New ideas, thinking outside the box - thats what we need right now, not more of the same. (starting to sound like Obama, lol) It will be somewhat interesting to see how this plays out.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Masochist
So GM had no financial hand in this whatsoever? This would be an option at the dealer would it not? Is GM's only gain here going to come from increased sales? I laughed out loud typing that last sentence. Well I guess this is a bad thread to be asking that question.

I still stand behind what I said, however. New ideas, thinking outside the box - thats what we need right now, not more of the same. (starting to sound like Obama, lol) It will be somewhat interesting to see how this plays out.
I agree with what you've said as well, problem is, SLP won't think outside the box. To them, the box is only big enough for their bank account, their ego and the name "Firehawk" Dave won't even link us to ANYTHING that is praising this idea, as he's been saying. None of the polled people are coming out and talking about it, and since they had to of been Firehawk owners, you know they'd have at least read ONE site that has linked to this discussion. Yet, there is no people saying "I was one who thought it was a good idea", and no links from Dave or SLP to prove us wrong! We've freely offered some name alternatives to them, w/o a contest with any reward, because we feel that having the name left for Firebirds is a reward enough. Yet again, nothing from SLP, and no sign of a name change. They SAY they care about our opinion, even if we, somehow, are not the target audience, but actions speak far louder than words. As for that target audience thing... My friend who is 25 has been wanting a G8 since he heard it mentioned, and had plans to lease one, even dropped some coin down for one (opted to wait for a few years later and got an 06 GP GXP to hold him over). So ANYONE is a potential customer, and singling out anyone, is foolish.

We can bitch, moan, gripe and get angry all we want. The only thing it's doing is making us feel a little better to vent it out, because in reality, SLP doesn't care.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Teching In

I dont post much, I mainly read various topics throughout the site. But when I came across this thread I was outraged. I know like everyone else theres nothing anyone can do to prevent whats about to happen. But I had to get my thoughts out there. I think this is a very disappointing move on SLP's behalf. I will never own another SLP product ever again. This is a sad day for me, the Firehawk has always been the favorite for me.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss