Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
...and you obviously haven't read this entire thread. If you had, your points would have already been stomped into the ground.

1. SLP looks to earn MORE money by not pissing off the very group that made them grow. Way more people have claimed to be disappointed and will not consider buying this car or any other SLP products because of this. Change the name, and this problem disappears. SLP can then resume business without the negative cloud.

2. This car could fly to the moon, get 50 mpg, have four turbos, give John Force the move at the track. We would still disagree with them using the name "Firehawk". It has nothing to do with the performance of the car, we simply disagree with the name.

3. I would buy an SLP G8 that was tasteful and refined, with a good dose of power. I will NOT buy one if it says "Firehawk" on it. I vote with my wallet, so will others.
I have read all 600+ posts (market sucks so i have no work to do) and unless i missed one (which i doubt) I am the first person to suggest naming the car G8 SLP Firehawk rather then G8 Firehawk inorder to get the name SLP some exposure from a marketing perspective.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

WOW!

My buddy sent me to this thread. He used to have a beautiful 02 Firehawk.

SLP naming the G8 a firehawk is a disgrace and a slap to all the ACTUAL FIREHAWK OWNERS!!!! Seems like they didn't even try to come up with another name for the car. They ask a couple of other owners. I personally don't own a firehawk but I would of said hell no. What kind of owners did they ask? Ones that have money up to their ears? DAMN!!!!

Anyways if SLP knows what it good for them, they better change the name. Not that hard to do whatsoever. Many of really good names some guys have come up with on this thread.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I'm done thinking it should be called G8 Formula. SLP G8 should be sufficient. They should want to get their name out there as brand equity, not just a model name. It would be fine if SLP was an automotive line to have their top cars called "Firehawk" or whatever, but they are an aftermarket (second sticker they are calling it) supplier.

Like others have mentioned, SLP can be a SVT or SRT.

"Is that a SLP G8? Sweet!"

"Is that a Firehawk? Wtf? That doesn't look like a Firebird. Some tool put Firehawk stickers on his G8!"

Which scenario works best?
Yea, to those who don't keep up with current modelings and aftermarket edition cars (IE: those who don't websurf and the like, and those who have fallen out of the car scene due to life), are going to start thinking people are just being like a ricer and slapping "GT-R" (from the Skyline) on their Civic or Protege Look at the SS badge, not just Chev using it liberally, but people putting it on S-10s and Suburbans, etc (hell 9 years ago, I wanted to put an SS on my Burb!!). So people putting Firehawk on something isn't all that far fetched.

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
I will speak to someone clost SLP, spends alot of money there and has a good relationship with the bossess... I am thinking of another one, how about, _______________G8X
ANYTHING is almost better than what is currently planned.

Currently, my votes are for G8R (G8-R, G8/R, whatever variation), G8 Formula (Formula G8?) and Comp G8 (or SLP Comp G8). I'm sorry, I know Comp G8 is my 'entry', but I seriously think it fits very well. Comp G from GM was Competition Group Package, then Comp T/A from SLP on the ORIGINAL Firehawk, which I assume also stood for Competition. So I think with what they plan to do to the car, that SLP Comp G8 fits like a glove. It's meant to compete against the other high end model cars the original G8 is up against, namely the BMW.

ALSO With this (Nine Ball, hear me out before you hastily delete this WHOLE damn post), it opens the door for the G8 Sport truck model. Name change would be simple assuming they kept the G8 moniker, Comp G8-ST.

Here's my badge concept. Mind you, the 8 would be integrated into the badge with the same styling as the "G" and in the same silver square. Obviously, due to being a GM badge, they'd have to authorize the use, but I don't see it being something that'd get turned down. After all it's on a GM car and it'll help it sell. SLP would be smaller of course, but I had to cover up the GT because I didn't feel like editing it out Also, CETA mod is just because I got bored and felt it looks ok, I won't deny it sorta doesn't fit though!

Old 10-08-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bah they deleted my Emeril quote, oh well.

Basically the jist of it was that no matter WHAT ANYONE SAYS (JUST like phantomzero already posted, which now I have to repost again) SLP isnt going to care. They arent marketing to car people, they are marketing to people who will buy a car based off a name. Perhaps like many of the luxury cars that do so good out there. Buy a caddy if you want luxury, if you want a name get something else.

So you could say that, in a sense, SLP sold out. They arent here for us anymore, people need to get over it.

There really isnt much more to be said, he isnt going to post back saying "we think we need to change it" so what good can come from this? He isnt going to take our suggestions, and he sure as hell isnt going to listen "to people on the ins" with SLP. He already talked to the people "on the ins" with SLP and you werent there. They said Firehawk, so Firehawk wins (or looses in this case). Frankly they arent going to care what ANYONE else says.

Nineball says it best once again with, my wallet is my vote at this point.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk
If you would have read this entire thread you would have seen that I've been posting throughout the entire thing from the beginning. So let me translate for you, READ: I HAVE READ THE ENTIRE THREAD.

Just because one employee from SLP says it is going to appeal to a certain crowd is not the Holey Grail... It is blatantly obvious that you did not read the entire thread of opinions of the "G8 Firehawk's" target market....

It is my opinion, thank you. No one forced you to agree with it and respond immaturely. Someone pee in your Wheaties this morning?
You said that is was INTENDED TO APPEAL TO US in your opinion. I said that SLP said IT WAS NOT INTENDED TO APPEAL TO US. I think they know what their intentions are, not you. Your opinion doesn't change the fact that they blantently told us who their intended market was.

Originally Posted by 99Hawk6spd
Because we've determined that SLP is the all knowing god that is omnipotent. Maybe you should pull your head out of *the same place SLP has theirs* and read that we've been debating the target audience this whole time, and I believe SLP is wrong.
SLP is making the car, THEY know who their intended audience is. How can they be wrong about what their intentions are? They don't have to be omnipotent to tell you what they are thinking. You guys think you are pretty damn intelligent though to claim that they don't know who they intend to sell a car to yet you do. Onnly SLP can tell you why they naemd it what they did, yet when they do you guys claim that it is wrong and that YOU (people who have nothing to do with the internal workings of SLP) do know who they intended to sell it to?

Opinions of LS1tech members as to who the target market are don't mean anything. THEY know what their target market is, how do you not understand that? You can't sit here and brainstorm over whether they are right or not about their target market. That's assinine. They know who they are marketing to and you guys don't think that they do. I think you're all jealous that they would rather sell to the masses than the die-hard car guys. Face it, we are the minority.

I don't agree with the Firehawk name either, but I don't think that I am their target buyer when they say plain as day that i am not. If I go to the store to buy cheerios and LS1tech members think I'm really there to buy fruit loops, don't that change what I'm really there to buy? If you want to argue that they are doing the right thing or not, that makes sense. If you want to argue who their intended buyer should have been, more power to you. You can't however, argue who their current intended audience is.

Last edited by oneBADDz; 10-08-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Maybe it would be a nice idead for people who actually liked this idea to open up a thread of their own. Maybe SLP is right after all.....dont think so but to give them the benefit of the doubt, you know.....
Old 10-08-2008, 08:47 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
SLP isnt going to care. They arent marketing to car people, they are marketing to people who will buy a car based off a name.
There is a problem with that statement. The only buyers that know what a Firehawk is, and what it stands for....are the very group that SLP is pissing off at the moment. Therefore, the majority of people who will buy this G8 surely didn't just buy it because of the name. The name means nothing to those individuals.

When you use brand recognition and market a name, you hope that the people who feel passionate about that name buy your product. This is not the case.

F- for creativity
F- for marketing 101
Old 10-09-2008, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

Does anyone know how many firehawks they made from '92 til '02?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by badaSS346
Yup
http://www.firehawk.com/list/1024.html
Old 10-09-2008, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350
ok...now how many firebird firehawk owners are there that refuse to buy a firehawk G8 (estimate and dont say all of them because then there would be 4000+ posts in this thread and there is about 700)?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:04 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

You don't have to own a Firehawk to disagree with the use of the name. That is a silly assumption, and holds no merit. Every brand of auto enthusiast out there has a message board, and when this topic was discussed on those sites, it was heavily in disfavor of using "Firehawk" on a 4-door sedan. Those people will vote with their wallets too.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

You don't have to own a Firehawk to disagree with the use of the name. That is a silly assumption, and holds no merit. Every brand of auto enthusiast out there has a message board, and when this topic was discussed on those sites, it was heavily in disfavor of using "Firehawk" on a 4-door sedan. Those people will vote with their wallets too.
It does have merit because all business is conducted using trends and forecasts...a company cant just say that "we forecast that no one will buy this car because of the name” The bean counters, not car guys are the ones that make these decisions that say..."hmmm our reports show we sold 5000+ units from 92-02 when the firehawk was a new unknown name in the automotive world and made $3000 in profit per car sold making this relatively small company about $15 million dollars using that name. if we can use this name to sell half as many units then we will be in good shape."

Yes this is a crude example because we dont have exact figures and profit margins and so forth. But my point is that businessmen, not car enthusiasts, are making this decision. Im sure if the economy was better GM would probably throw them some $$ and do what they did with the ss and ws6, but gm has enough problems as it is. This is what SLP has come up with as the best possible marketing plan for them.

So instead of bashing them for doing whatever the hell they want to do with a trademark that they own, just dont buy the car (which you said you wont...see i did read the post) and express it that way.

Its like if you have a daughter and want to name her Robert...yeah it wrong and retarded but u are going to do what you want cuz its your baby.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by badaSS346
roughly 5054 firehawks .

'92 - 25
'93 - 200
'94 - 500
'95 - 671
'96 - 41
'97 - 116
'98 - n/a
'99 - 719
'00 - 741
'01 - 540
'02 - 1501

comp t/a - 164

a post i made about production #'s...

http://messageboard.firehawk.org/viewtopic.php?t=8979

Last edited by hawk584; 10-09-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a problem with that statement. The only buyers that know what a Firehawk is, and what it stands for....are the very group that SLP is pissing off at the moment. Therefore, the majority of people who will buy this G8 surely didn't just buy it because of the name. The name means nothing to those individuals.

When you use brand recognition and market a name, you hope that the people who feel passionate about that name buy your product. This is not the case.

F- for creativity
F- for marketing 101
i tried to stay outta this thread because i think this is BS..

that was almost exactly what i was going to say...

-----if you walk up to 50 people on the street and ask them what a firehawk is.. only probably a SMALL handfull would know what it was.. 10 at max! i would bet on this.. BUT the people that do know/care what "firehawk" stands for are pissed off.. not the owners that are 60 and know nothing about the car.. but the ones that know their cars inside and out and even us guys like me that are just plain loyal to fbodies and such.. i never plan on owning a firehawk.. but it still gets under my skin...

i say why not change it to make us happy, but your "slp" logo on it, because more people know that that is performance related and it will help you guys grow while still selling the cars.. you will get a lot more happy customers...

if i was a marketer, and i saw this many posts by this many people that were pissed the F* off, i would change the name.. your not hearing from anybody walking the streets that might just happen to walk on the lot and not knowing ANYTHING about the car but that they like the looks.. they wont care if it says slp or firehawk or poopsmoocher...

just my .02
Old 10-09-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

F- for creativity
F- for marketing 101
You are very right, statement retracted (Or at least that part, anyways)

I still find it amazing that some people (SLP) could try to ignore whats going on here, I dont think I have seen one positive thread yet (ON ANY FORUMS, not just this one). Someone even suggested posting one, which means we dont have one yet!

But as I said before, he already showed us multiple times he doesnt care what we have to say. So these great points really wont mean a thing in the end.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lemons12
i tried to stay outta this thread because i think this is BS..

that was almost exactly what i was going to say...

-----if you walk up to 50 people on the street and ask them what a firehawk is.. only probably a SMALL handfull would know what it was.. 10 at max! i would bet on this.. BUT the people that do know/care what "firehawk" stands for are pissed off.. not the owners that are 60 and know nothing about the car.. but the ones that know their cars inside and out and even us guys like me that are just plain loyal to fbodies and such.. i never plan on owning a firehawk.. but it still gets under my skin...

i say why not change it to make us happy, but your "slp" logo on it, because more people know that that is performance related and it will help you guys grow while still selling the cars.. you will get a lot more happy customers...

if i was a marketer, and i saw this many posts by this many people that were pissed the F* off, i would change the name.. your not hearing from anybody walking the streets that might just happen to walk on the lot and not knowing ANYTHING about the car but that they like the looks.. they wont care if it says slp or firehawk or poopsmoocher...

just my .02
I'll take that bet, and take it to an extreme For every 50,000 people, I bet 5 people would know (2%) And I'm not saying "Do you know what a Firehawk is", then again I'm sure the same amount of people wouldn't know LOL No, it'd be "Have you heard of the car called the Firehawk?" And if they say "Is that the one by Pontiac?" You have to follow up with "Are you thinking of the Firebird, instead of Firehawk?", and then you go off their answer. If it's something like "oh, yea, that's it, not Firehawk", then you know they had no clue. Now if it is more along the lines of "Yea, but it was a model of Firebird", then you know they have a partial idea. And in all honesty, I wouldn't be at ALL surprised if only 500 out of 500,000 people knew (0.1%). You must remember, that there was only a max of (just over) 5K of these cars, then factor in how many have been exported, and then how many are still on the road, and THEN how many actually SEE the road! So many variables that really unless you're either a die hard car person, or specifically a Pontiac fan, you pretty much won't know. Before I got my 91 Firebird around 6 years ago, I had no clue what a Firehawk was, I had seen it listed in the vehicle selection list (at the parts store I worked at), but beyond that I had no idea. For all I know, it could've been like the Firefly Canadian model, which I believe was the Sunfire's Canuck sister.

So my point? Basically the same as yours. It's just foolish to use a name like that, under the assumption that people will buy it because of the name and it's history, when in fact so very few people actually KNOW what the history is. In that light, you might as well have just created a new moniker Just SLP thinking with their ego, and not their brains.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take that bet, and take it to an extreme For every 50,000 people, I bet 5 people would know (2%) And I'm not saying "Do you know what a Firehawk is", then again I'm sure the same amount of people wouldn't know LOL No, it'd be "Have you heard of the car called the Firehawk?" And if they say "Is that the one by Pontiac?" You have to follow up with "Are you thinking of the Firebird, instead of Firehawk?", and then you go off their answer. If it's something like "oh, yea, that's it, not Firehawk", then you know they had no clue. Now if it is more along the lines of "Yea, but it was a model of Firebird", then you know they have a partial idea. And in all honesty, I wouldn't be at ALL surprised if only 500 out of 500,000 people knew (0.1%). You must remember, that there was only a max of (just over) 5K of these cars, then factor in how many have been exported, and then how many are still on the road, and THEN how many actually SEE the road! So many variables that really unless you're either a die hard car person, or specifically a Pontiac fan, you pretty much won't know. Before I got my 91 Firebird around 6 years ago, I had no clue what a Firehawk was, I had seen it listed in the vehicle selection list (at the parts store I worked at), but beyond that I had no idea. For all I know, it could've been like the Firefly Canadian model, which I believe was the Sunfire's Canuck sister.

So my point? Basically the same as yours. It's just foolish to use a name like that, under the assumption that people will buy it because of the name and it's history, when in fact so very few people actually KNOW what the history is. In that light, you might as well have just created a new moniker Just SLP thinking with their ego, and not their brains.
i agree, i just didnt want to think/type that much haha.. i dont think slp was thinking at ALL!
Old 10-09-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you check the market, GM isn't doing well, so who knows what will happen:

Dow falls 679, ends below 8,600The Dow and S&P 500 fall more than 7% as the Crash of 2008 crushes stocks in a wild last hour of trading; the Nasdaq drops 5.5%. General Motors falls nearly a third on fears it won't survive
Market wrap today

I really feel sorry for EVERYONE that is caught in this "mess"
Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're 100% right...

...Except USA Sunfire = Canadian Sunfire.

This is a Firefly

I'm not going to lie though, I'd rather have this than a G8 Firehawk
Old 10-09-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For every 50,000 people, I bet 5 people would know (2%) .
That would be .001%

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss