Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to stay out.. Anyways, I don't disagree with the use of the name. They own it. They can do whatever they want with it. However I do disagree with how they have chosen to use it. Unless there are significant upgrades in power and handling, that would kill an original Firebird, I won't look two ways at it. Now, if they did something akin to what Ford has done with Shelby, and do three stages, say..

SLP G8 - Exhaust, Lowering Springs, body-kit\paint\rims
SLP G8 GTP - Headers, Exhaust, Lowered, Rims, Tune, special seats\embroidery
SLP G8 COMP-G- (or whatever, ran out of cool sounding ones) - Headers, lower, exhaust, VERY aggressive tune, HIDs, embroidered seats, custom badging.

Something like that would be better than slapping a 2-door legend's name on a 4-door family rocket.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ dont forget the supercharger
Old 10-10-2008, 06:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is going to either raise the value if a real firehawk firebird, or sent them down the *******.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SheldonZ28
This is going to either raise the value if a real firehawk firebird, or sent them down the *******.
WTF?!? Seriously?
Old 10-10-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Terrible idea, SLP. I hope to one day own a G8. If I can pick up a used G8 Firehawk I will. The first mod I would do to that car would be removing the Firehawk stickers, and throwing away the Firehawk floor mats, and peeling off any dash plaque.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

I dont think I need to say anything that hasnt been in the past 34 pages, but Ill add my name in as one more of the hundreds it seems like that are against this idea.

I feel bad for the people that get these and bring them to shows, theyll be shunned, maybe people will talk to them, but noone will care bout the car if they are a true f-body lover.

BTW-Didnt SLP make enough money going into the Mustang aftermarket. You shouldnt have to revive and kill a legendary name like the "FireHawk"
Old 10-10-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've got one, too!

Old 10-11-2008, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

I thought SLP was a trend setting Co. No originality here guys. If they move foward with this crazy idea, I seriously need to cover up their logo on my lid or just huff it.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've decided to "De-SLP" my ride, a 2002 Trans AM Firehawk.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be keeping the standard Firehawk stuff: Hood, Wheels, Decals, Rear Spoiler and the interior Firehawk specific details like the console plaque, floor mats and rear cargo mat.

But what I am doing is replacing all aftermarket SLP parts with others. Most of this is suspension stuff in my case.

Removed/Replaced so far:
removed SLP license plate frames,
removed SLP emblem from inside the engine bay,
removed SLP leather wrapped shifter ****,
SLP balancer replaced with ASP,
SLP panhard bar has been replaced with UMI adjustable,
SLP shock tower brace has been replaced with UMI's,
SLP lower control arms have been replaced with UMI adjustable.

I have on order as we speak:
UMI's torque arm, cross brace mount,
UMI's subframe connectors.

These will go on this winter when car is in storage. I may even replace the SLP brake solenoid with the Hurst style.

You don't think I'm serious? Check out my car's website in my link. I've always kept it updated to display my stuff.

Additionally, I've just updated my account at SLP to stop receiving notifications and had the account deleted. SLP can easily verify if they want to bother. Think I made our point? SLP probably isn't reading this thread anymore, because as stated, its a done-deal and they don't want to hear what we have to say anymore.

Last edited by Michael02hawk; 10-11-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
That would be .001%
You're right. I had some other number initially and changed it after. How I had 2% I don't know haha

I think what Michael02hawk is what the extreme Firehawk fan will do, but the end bid about not wanting to have anything more to do with SLP, is what the majority of people will be doing (if already haven't). And I agree, I doubt the Hamburgler is reading this anymore

I hate to drag my nerdom into the mix, but there's always a slight chance things can change. George Lucas said once that the original theatrical version of Star Wars (original 3) will never be released on DVD. All we'll ever see if the special edition versions. Fans were NOT happy with this, yet around 2 years ago (or last year, doesn't matter) there was another release of DVDs that, low and behold, had a bonus disc with the original release on DVD. And touched up to the same quality as the SE version had been. So, I think we should keep ranting, because someone somewhere is always listening, even if it's not being heard right from the horses mouth. This thread isn't going anywhere, and if someone doesn't believe it, they can come see for themselves.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I took my SLP tag off the Hawk as well....

Last edited by Nine Ball; 10-13-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is seriously dissapointing...I don't even own a firehawk and don't think this is right....and if they put firehawk on a v6....I'm buying a cobra
Old 10-13-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A quick Google Images search for "Firehawk G8" yields some fantastic results!

Old 10-13-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk
A quick Google Images search for "Firehawk G8" yields some fantastic results!

Like David said:

Originally Posted by David Hamburger

The reaction was overwhelming and I can't wait to be able to get into the details.

Regards,

David Hamburger
SLP Performance
www.slponline.com

I couldnt agree more....ROFLMAO!
Old 10-14-2008, 04:42 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I had to check that Google images thing out for myself. Too funny!

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
Old 10-14-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

SLP definitely blew a great opportunity to capture the attention of FBody non-FBody owners. Why **** off the people that know what a Firehawk really is. SLP says we are not the target group (I am 26 with a wife and a 1 year old and would definitely be interested in a family performance sedan if we didnt have a FX35) but by angering us these negative threads and articles get the attention of the people you think your a targeting and they start to say "damn, I never really knew there was a Firehawk Firebird, now this seems kind of stupid, I don't want to drive a nice car that actually gets me laughed at, i'm buying a BMW instead."

Oh yeah, i almost forgot I had a SLP STB, looks like i'll be contacting UMI for a replacement.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
I took my SLP tag off the Hawk as well....
Decals have already been replaced w/polished SS mirror raised emblems.

First G8 Firehawk I see, OFF comes the SLP logo too!

Didn't mind advertising under prior conditions, but NOT under the NEW conditions. No sir, I WON'T DO IT

Last edited by Firehawk526; 10-14-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love the Firebird Firehawk, and I'd love a G8 Firehawk. Would all you guys really rip off the Firehawk logo, and SLP logos?

You might as well go around vandalizing the naturally aspirated and supercharged Cobalt SS's, as well as the SC V6 Impala and Monte that have SS logos. Hell maybe vandalize a TC Cobalt SS.

I understand the heritage behind the Firehawk name, but if the Firehawk name lives up to its name in performance in the G8, would you really care?

Would you seriously spit on a G8 Firehawk that goes around, womping on M5's
Old 10-14-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hc8719
I love the Firebird Firehawk, and I'd love a G8 Firehawk. Would all you guys really rip off the Firehawk logo, and SLP logos?

You might as well go around vandalizing the naturally aspirated and supercharged Cobalt SS's, as well as the SC V6 Impala and Monte that have SS logos. Hell maybe vandalize a TC Cobalt SS.

I understand the heritage behind the Firehawk name, but if the Firehawk name lives up to its name in performance in the G8, would you really care?

Would you seriously spit on a G8 Firehawk that goes around, womping on M5's
The SLP logo is an aftermarket throw on that many people placed on their vehicles who purchased SLP products (not standard equipment) FREE ADVERTISEMENT
Old 10-14-2008, 02:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hc8719
The "SS" was used on several different vehicles, it was never a Camaro specific trim level. Impala, Nova, etc... also used it back in the day.

If you have to ask, then you obviously do not understand what heritage means. Firehawk is ONLY on the Firebird, and signifies the best of the best factory RPO Firebird. This is not a performance based decision, it is merely a weak and non-creative marketing issue. If it were based solely on performance, SLP could have justified putting it on the GTO, Mustangs, and even their previous Ford Ranger Thunderbolt. Would those have been any less wrong to do? What if the Ranger was fast?

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss