Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 02:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SheldonZ28
This is going to either raise the value if a real firehawk firebird, or sent them down the *******.
that would be the one good thing to come of the Firehawk G8, the Firehawk`s of the past might go up in value $$$$$$$$$$$, so I agree....
Old 10-15-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 HAWK
It`s not worth it, I mean come on it`s a stupid 4 door sedan..........
To be fair, it's not a stupid 4-door sedan. It's quite a brilliant car! It's just not the right platform for this iconic name. Now, the Holden GT60 (or whatever that concept's name was), would be the PERFECT car for this. I might even be so bold to say... it could be simply called the Firehawk >_> What do you people think, would that upset you as much as this has? (See this thread to see the Pontiac photoshop of it)
Old 10-15-2008, 10:55 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree that the 2-door G8 concept would probably be accepted by most of the people here if they called just that one a Firehawk. For that matter, they could have also used it on the GTO but they didn't. Not sure why this 4-door sedan all of a sudden seemed like a reason to dig up a grave for the name.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After three hours of reading I have come to the following conclusions(most have already been mentioned):

For the first time EVER, I am hapier with my decision in buying a WS6 than a firehawk, hopefully that name doesnt get bastardized for a few bucks

The Firehawk should remain a name attached to the F-body/Firebird car ONLY, anything else is just a rebadging of a name that meant a LOT to a small amount of enthusiasts.

The name, if it HAD to be brought back would only really be suited to a 2 door

This whole thing makes me wish I had bought a firebird instead of a Z, cause I would have no trouble making it into a clone Hawk since the name doesnt mean as much anymore(sarcasm but truth).

The F-bodies(particularly the firebirds since they arent coming back) need to keep theyre name/reputation for what it is, for collectors, enthusiasts, etc. instead SLP has cheapened the name(esp by putting it on a 4 dr/non f-body) just to make some money. Like kicking your "friend" when theyre down. Hopefully the REAL Firehawk value(firebirds) stays up where it belongs and not end up in the ******* because someone wants to make money

I can only hope the G8 comes thru, because at this point, Dave is gonna have to "WOW" the **** out of everybody with this car, its already a good platform to build up from, but SHOULD NOT have been done in this manner

SLP G8!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Nine Ball; 10-15-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Default well, here's my two cents...

Making a super-performance G8 seems like a good idea to me. Expanding a well-received and well-reviewed car to compare better with pricier performance sedans seems like a good way to make inroads into the popular presumption that Americans can't make nice, high-performance sedans.

Firehawk isn't my choice for a name either, but (darn, I don't see a smiley with a dead horse).

If you're going to make a v6 version, blow it. Blow it hard and make it FAST. There are folks who will buy v6 if it's good (TTA, anyone?). I don't think anyone involved (SLP, f-body Firehawk owners, or G8 "Firehawk" owners) wants a slow car running around with "Firehawk" on the door, repping the name poorly.

Speaking of the logo on the name on the door, redesign it. the G8 seems a car aimed at those who might buy Eurosedans, and Mr. Hamburger's quote from ancient history (page one of this thread is:

"That is exactly the target audience, folks who want performance but do not mod. CTS, Audi, BMW, etc.. the buyers who look at these performance vehicles but lean towards American Muscle is the buyer."

I don't see a lot of those types of cars with cheesy-*** graphics on their sides. American cars usually have a bit of a problem being taken seriously (as cars for "mature, sophisticated" adults) by those who buy bimmers and audis and the like (my experience, at least). If that's the target audience, I'd suggest taking another look at the cosmetics- the matte black hood? And for god's sake, that gaudy, dated leftover Firehawk logo. I _think_ your target (and the G8's, as designed by GM) is not _quite_ as staid and boring as BMW's, but I think you want something that projects power, excitement AND class, and that picture at the front of the thread doesn't do that.

I would suggest:

1. Offer a "clandestine" version that doesn't have any cosmetic changes, for those who like stealth.

2. Give up on using that big stack of leftover Firehawk decals Get a new Firehawk logo that says both power and sophistication.

-sectari
Old 10-15-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Pimp

Originally Posted by hc8719
Would you seriously spit on a G8 Firehawk that goes around, womping on M5's

First of all this car couldn't beat an M5, period..

Ask me how I know..

This car WOULD have been bought by firehawk owers, but I don't see that being a reality now. I for sure wouldn't buy one with that stupid name attached to it.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

As a Firehawk owner I have to say I'm completely LIVID about this decision. Firehawk doesn't even go with the car, I've always seen it as a derivative of the Firebird name, the better more awesome and hardcore version. Dave you say you're listening to we owners, but when it seems like 8/10 owners think this is a horrible idea how can you be listening. I hate to be beating a dead horse, but I swear if I roll upto a meet and some guy in a G8 say "Hey I have a Firehawk too." I'm gonna go medieval on their ***.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Why not call it the Pontiac G8 G-Force...a name that would complement the *** kicking power it claims to come with. Or the G8 Gambler....way better than G8 Firehawk??? You know its kinda funny when you think of SLP's badge naming abilities. They should call up the bowling ball manufacturers for advice...Brunswick and Ebonite seem to have a knack for coming up with catchy, fitting names for bowling *****!!
Old 10-20-2008, 05:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by _Zac

First of all this car couldn't beat an M5, period..

Ask me how I know..

So you post a modified cars timeslip to back up your idiotic statement? Stock times are usually in the 12.5 to 12.7 range with a good driver. Not to mention 51 degree weather in Houston Texas in February makes for some great DA, also not the norm. But what really makes your statement idiotic is the fact that he was probably not speaking in terms of ¼ mile. The fact is the CTS-V at 300 lbs heavier can out drive an M5 around a roadcourse track. A much lighter performance oriented G8 will completely destroy it. But what really is bad is you have no idea what the S/C version will do even at the ¼ mile. I like my BMW a lot but I surely do not drink the Kool-Aid thinking that it is the “PERIOD” of performance.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does this Firehawk actually offer a performance increase? The Firehawks of the 4th gens were just a number game with no real HP increases over the WS6 or others. Yes I know you could get suspension part and such, but there was no real HP boost.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
Does this Firehawk actually offer a performance increase? The Firehawks of the 4th gens were just a number game with no real HP increases over the WS6 or others. Yes I know you could get suspension part and such, but there was no real HP boost.
A supercharged version. What is not discussed is what engine will be offered, the current GT L76 or the new GXP LS3, or maybe even an LSA????? The last one seems to be a much more cost affective means since it is already a proven package.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rob
You guys just need to get over it. Its done. It'll be a great car and will live up to the heritage of a Firehawk.

Nobody forced the original Firehawk name down anybody's throat. They named it without "consulting" potential buyers back then. No difference now. It was top of the line Pontiac Performance then and still is now.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Its as simple as it gets.
hell i want a Vette. i guess all i have to do is get some bages and ill have one. that awsome.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just to add more BS!! I have never owned a TA or anything of that sort but I think its stupid to deface the Firehawk on anything other than a TA..

Old 10-20-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBake
A supercharged version. What is not discussed is what engine will be offered, the current GT L76 or the new GXP LS3, or maybe even an LSA????? The last one seems to be a much more cost affective means since it is already a proven package.
Even the SC version will only have a stock G8 engine in it...the SC will be added to it at SLP. It wont be a factory supercharged car...so chances are it will be blown L76. But thats a mute point because I am sure only a very few will actually be supercharged do to the cost...thats why they are offering a NA and even a V6 version. They can run the SC out there for the press and mags to see and hype...then sell the cheaper ones.

If for some reason I am wrong and the swap the entire engine out and replace it with a built SC engine you can bet the price will be so high they wont sell 10 of them.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:54 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

That isn't technically correct. They had the 345hp package that was available, which consisted of the Y2Y catback and the Blackwing air lid. These cars put down 15-20 rwhp more than a base LS1 f-body. While that isn't a staggering difference, it did for a fact show a slight performance improvement. The cosmetics and exclusivity are worth the additional costs though, as Firehawks have held their values much better than the other 4th gen Birds.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

hell i want a Vette. i guess all i have to do is get some bages and ill have one. that awsome.
That statement right there says it all.....
Old 10-20-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
That isn't technically correct. They had the 345hp package that was available, which consisted of the Y2Y catback and the Blackwing air lid. These cars put down 15-20 rwhp more than a base LS1 f-body. While that isn't a staggering difference, it did for a fact show a slight performance improvement. The cosmetics and exclusivity are worth the additional costs though, as Firehawks have held their values much better than the other 4th gen Birds.
The ratings are BS. I have seen base cars dyno as much as firehawks. The WS6's and Firehawks show almost no differance on the dyno. The Y2Y catback is free flowing but the gains over the WS6 is minimal at best. The WS6 already has the taller airbox To me the WS6 looks better and the performance gains weren't there for the price IMO. I have seen dozens of LS1 cars dyno and I have never seen a consistent 15-20hp gain for the hawks. The 345 package was only an option in 02 anyways..
Old 10-20-2008, 07:20 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

How about keeping this thread on topic? Thanks
Old 10-20-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SLP does not care about true fbody enthusiasts concerns,
alot are going to remember when the 5th gen comes around.
my prediction is that SLP will try to be all cool with the fbody guys trying to get their money again, trying to "hawk" there junk.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:51 AM
Staging Lane

The ratings are BS. I have seen base cars dyno as much as firehawks. The WS6's and Firehawks show almost no differance on the dyno. The Y2Y catback is free flowing but the gains over the WS6 is minimal at best. The WS6 already has the taller airbox To me the WS6 looks better and the performance gains weren't there for the price IMO. I have seen dozens of LS1 cars dyno and I have never seen a consistent 15-20hp gain for the hawks. The 345 package was only an option in 02 anyways..
I had a bone stock ws6 (2001) and a bone stock firehawk (2001) at one point. I got my brother to drive one and I drove the other. The firehawk beat the ws6 every single time.

ps...I still own a ws6 but no firehawk's anymore. I agree the ws6 looks much better. Throw on a lid and catback and you got your ws6 as fast as a firehawk.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss