Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly I think this is cheap on SLP's part, your R&D department couldnt think of anything else except what was a great idea in the past. Personally I would have liked a different name for a different vehicle, like SVT does with the lightning and cobra, when you hear those names in this industry you know exactly what your talking about, a fast vehicle in its own right. But I dont know SLP maybe your right putting that name on a 4 door sedan, dodge did it with the Charger and we all know how that is for them...(sarcasm)

Honestly from a business stand point its easier to get a more recognizable name out there for the people who dont know better, but I thought that SLP was recognizable enough. Theres no doubt that this would be a great car (except the v6 version) but Im pretty sure your marked knows the difference in a firehawk and a firebird. I have never owned a Firehawk but I knew exactly what I was lining up against anytime I found one on the streets. While that could stay true with the new G8 I dont see why you couldnt just label it SLP -------- whatever else. Either way some specs and some times would probably rest assure some of these guys
Old 10-21-2008, 07:49 AM
TOWN CRIER

Firehawk = Type R if it makes it on a G8, buy a sticker and make it faster.

Like a lot of people are saying, why not add a letter? It's a letter and number named car anyways.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the main page the G8 part of this thread title is not visible...so all I saw was "Confirmed: SLP Firehawk". My first reaction was WTF is this doing in the G8 section and not potential Pontiacs (ie: future Firebird). My point is this...I associate Firehawk with the F-body, not a sedan. I love the G8 for what it is...but a Firehawk it is not. Furthermore, while I don't own a Firehawk I do like them, but I would never add Firehawk body parts to my Formula because...well...it isn't a Firehawk no matter how bad I want it to be. I guess if SLP owns the name they can call it whatever they like, but it doesn't make it right. Additionally, I would suspect that most of the Firehawk named cars would be going to true enthusiasts and many of these will be previous or current owners of other high performance GM vehicles. SLP, do whatever marketing research you like...but all you're doing right now is pissing off your potential customers. You really think the people at this site aren't your target demographic? I would love to be the original owner of a Firehawk...but I damn sure won't be the owner of ANY Firehawk that isn't based off the Firebird. I had the same feeling when Chevrolet named the 4 door, front wheel drive Malibu. Sure they own the name...but I remember that as a muscle car. I don't think the new Malibu is deserving of the name...same as your idea of a Firehawk. Keep your damn car because at this point I wouldn't own it whatever the name...especially when you try to nicely spit in the faces of all your fans.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cheyenne383
Firehawk = Type R if it makes it on a G8, buy a sticker and make it faster.

Like a lot of people are saying, why not add a letter? It's a letter and number named car anyways.
EXACTLY! They're just whoring the name out because it's got reputation. I'm not sure, but I think Type-R originated on the NSX, and Honda/Acura figured "Why not stick it on a Average-Joe car with a 15hp better engine!?" -_-

I give up, we're all just screaming at a wall.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:03 AM
Launching!

i would prefer something like G8 GTS or even G8 SLP (i think that would like nice as **** on the trunk replacing the "GT")...anything would be better than using the firehawk name...its still not too late to change that **** SLP. firehawk should live and die with firebirds. there's no reason to call it a firehawk and frankly i'm not sure why they choose to re-use the name. the g8 doesn't even look anything like a firebird. it'd be a little different if the g8 was a coupe but still wouldn't justify using the name
Old 10-23-2008, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Not a good decision at all, keep the "Firehawks" with the "Firebirds". This would be like Ford slapping a cobra emblem on a souped up Crown Victoria. They may have similar attributes but they are not the same vehicle. I hope thier decision to make this monster will be changed if enough people express thier opinion.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

740+ posts, 38 pages, and 31k+ views (with the majority being against the use of the name) yet SLP somehow still thinks "just wait, everyone will love it." ::sigh::
Old 10-23-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
All I got to say about this car and it's name is

..On another note, LOL @ the viper and cadillac firehawks..
Old 10-24-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk
740+ posts, 38 pages, and 31k+ views (with the majority being against the use of the name) yet SLP somehow still thinks "just wait, everyone will love it." ::sigh::
All but one person (ok 2 if you count the Hamburgler), I think that "majority" is an understatement The people have spoken, only for it to have fallen upon deaf ears.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

The Firehawk name on anything other than a Firebird line is a horrible idea. Everything else has been said already.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

"G8 Firehawk"?

How bout "Boycott SLP"?
Old 10-25-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Maybe we wont see much of these aberrations since the G8 will probably be axed. What about a Camaro Firehawk? LOL!
Old 10-25-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow why does everyone care. They are trying to make some extra money by having another performance option. If you don't like it - don't buy it. If they made a mistake their net sales will show.

Having said that, I don't like the idea - I think a GXP is enough.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
Wow why does everyone care. They are trying to make some extra money by having another performance option. If you don't like it - don't buy it. If they made a mistake their net sales will show.

Having said that, I don't like the idea - I think a GXP is enough.
Well, it's 3 fold. First it was using an iconic name 'improperly', but then to top it off [second half] Dave Hamburger said that they feel that a place like this is not the place to poll for opinions and do R&D AND that [finally] it's not intended for our age group with a final nail in that coffin of "It's final, but we value your opinion"... Like they automatically know how old the people on this forum are OR (since age doesn't matter anymore) how much we earn. And that our opinion is valued, but we don't feel that you are good enough to get feedback on ideas, yet still remember we value your idea/being a customer. We're just not going to listen to you . It's pretty bad when the LS1Tech.com Father is totally against it. Not to mention this thread being in the top search results (2nd result depending on if you do Firehawk G8 instead of G8 Firehawk) and image results with the photoshops that were done. Or the fact that only one person (maybe 2 if I missed one) in this whole thread has said that name is a good idea. And this is the bigger part, that Hamburger won't reveal to us all these others who feel this is a good choice, but still claims there are many [/mini rant]

Last edited by Nine Ball; 10-29-2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:52 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I find it questionable that DH and Scott S. haven't made a single comment for quite sometime. I guess they've given up on this website.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

They've gone on to greener pastures. IE somewhere that will actually accept the new Firehawk concept with positive view. I think the reason why they haven't come back is because if they did they know that we will try and pick apart every single thing they say. No one likes staying in a place their not wanted, it's like going to a car meet with a riced out car, "Hey guys check out my new Firehawk." fill in the blank with the outcries and jokes and yea they're gonna drive off and goto a meet(forum) where they are accepted with open arms, not a hostile forum bent on their destruction.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

I echo the sentiment of others on here, by putting the name on V6 models and non-performance "packages", they start looking like those silly Rousch Stage I's and II's where you basically get a load of plastic and wheels on a 6-cyl.

Posers.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

thats very cool. those G8 are freakin nasty.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SlvrFormula
They've gone on to greener pastures. IE somewhere that will actually accept the new Firehawk concept with positive view. I think the reason why they haven't come back is because if they did they know that we will try and pick apart every single thing they say. No one likes staying in a place their not wanted, it's like going to a car meet with a riced out car, "Hey guys check out my new Firehawk." fill in the blank with the outcries and jokes and yea they're gonna drive off and goto a meet(forum) where they are accepted with open arms, not a hostile forum bent on their destruction.
Don't put words in our mouths. We've never said they're not wanted here. WE'RE the ones who feel not wanted!! We've said it time and time and time again. We APPROVE of a bad *** SLP modified G8, but we DISAPPROVE of it being named Firehawk! How is that so hard to follow?
Old 10-27-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
We APPROVE of a bad *** SLP modified G8, but we DISAPPROVE of it being named Firehawk! How is that so hard to follow?
From a handful of posts in this thread; apparently, it is...

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss