Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

What?!! No G8 Firehawk??!!? I was starting to like the thing! Well, not really...no.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there doing exactly what they are doing with the SS name..ruining its reputation
Old 11-12-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Just because they haven't replied, that doesn't mean they do not still visit and read these replies. We have done our part here to edit them and keep them mature. Whether they decide to heed our opinions or not is up to them. Unlike some "greener pasture" sites, we will not censor the feedback of our community. People are still learning about this new Firehawk on a daily basis, and they are welcome to post their opinion about it here.

You might think some other sites are all "positive" about the car, but that is only because the moderators there are deleting the negative views.

No kidding, I just found this thread.

I do not like the idea of calling anything other than a Firebird a Firehawk.

How do you do this .
Old 11-12-2008, 09:04 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Something tells me that there will be less G8 firehawks than 3rd gen firebird firehawks. My guess would be something along the lines of 15-20 sold.

Who knows, SLP may come to their senses and decide on a different name. I know they stated that it was too late, but until it's sitting in a dealers showroom, it's never too late.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Something tells me that there will be less G8 firehawks than 3rd gen firebird firehawks. My guess would be something along the lines of 15-20 sold.

Who knows, SLP may come to their senses and decide on a different name. I know they stated that it was too late, but until it's sitting in a dealers showroom, it's never too late.

I would agree BUT for the fact they will offer the "firehawk" option on cheaper versions (the V6 car for example). I would bet less than 20 of the SC cars are sold...but probably several hundered of the V6 and NA cars will be made (and sit on the dealer lots for months and months...)
Old 11-12-2008, 09:35 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

With the economic condition of GM these days, as well as all automanufacturers, I highly doubt that GM will jump at the opportunity to put out a seriously limited production vehicle that isn't done in house. I don't know, I could be wrong, but I just don't see this happening.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:24 PM

Wow.

Shelby must get a sense of relaxation when they read this Bulletin.

SLP really is not going to back down on changing the name from what I see here.

It is sad, and I hate to say this, but I feel that it is this kind of disregard to consumer demand that has led Detroit and its affiliates into its current state. It is obvious that our opinion has little or no value because they made the decision before they researched the negative reaction. Somebody over at SLP is determined to slap that sticker onto the G8 under the impression it will sell better by appealing to the lowest common denominator. This is obvious by the limited amount of enthusiasts they consulted coupled with ignoring the mass opinion on this site.

Innovation is not about trying to be what you were in the past, but about reinventing yourself to handle the changing and dynamic future. There is a diference between remember who you are, and selling yourself out. This will merely be seen as a CHEAP rebadging of a vehicle by GM and an American auto industry unwilling to adjust to demand of the public.

Good luck Dave,

I hope the guys over at Shelby haven't seen this....
Old 11-16-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea I don't understand what is so difficult about picking a new name? FIREbird and FIREhawk sounded cool together. Honestly I think they were too cheap to spend the research time and trademark licensure necessary to create another name. So they hoped that the firehawk name would would attract people who are into (previous) firehawks. Huge mistake and it backfired bigtime. Now the only people interested would be those who didn't care about the previous firehawk generations. And they would have been fine with ANY name. Way to fluck over your fan base.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:40 AM
blownerator

Originally Posted by _Zac

First of all this car couldn't beat an M5, period..

Ask me how I know..

This car WOULD have been bought by firehawk owers, but I don't see that being a reality now. I for sure wouldn't buy one with that stupid name attached to it.
Ill Run ya I just ate one of those toys for breakfast today.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Well after scrolling through the thread, I believe Dave said that no numbers were going to be released until the SEMA show. The show has come and gone has anyone seen any info on the SLP G8? I am looking at ordering a new G8 and i just want to see what the numbers are between the GXP and the SLP version.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TKTMAGNT
Well after scrolling through the thread, I believe Dave said that no numbers were going to be released until the SEMA show. The show has come and gone has anyone seen any info on the SLP G8? I am looking at ordering a new G8 and i just want to see what the numbers are between the GXP and the SLP version.
SLP and the G8 Firehawk were NOT present at this year's SEMA event.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
there doing exactly what they are doing with the SS name..ruining its reputation
How so?? By offering substantially better performance over the base - non "SS" vehicle.

The new SS vehicles add much more than just a hood, spoiler and 17inch wheels.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Firehawk name should be on a Trans Am. Really, think the SLP crowd should have done a little bit more research on this.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, here is a thread with several hundred replies (40+ pages) of relevant consumer feedback saying very bluntly that the "Firehawk" name on a G8 is an unwelcomed bad idea. I couldn't agree more. I will commend SLP if they step up and knock our socks off with a hot new trademark name. I will also drink to their failure if they ignore the very clear voice of their direct consumers.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL
finally cooled down huh?
let em be, its the holidays
Old 11-24-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Pimp

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Ill Run ya I just ate one of those toys for breakfast today.
You run low 12's at 119+?

Guessing that blower is on the G8? Post a timeslip big guy.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:48 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

With the big 3 crumbling, will SLP even have a base model G8 to modify and sell as a Firehak? I doubt it. I'd be willing to bet you never see a G8 Firehawk in person.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Firehawk name should be on a Trans Am. Really, think the SLP crowd should have done a little bit more research on this.
Not to nitpick, but the Firehawk is (originally) a Formula modded model. It was just lent to the TAs To be fair, "Firehawk name should be on a Firebird". And with 99.99% certainty of no Firebird coming back, there shouldn't be a Firehawk again. It's just mind boggling that a company couldn't come up with a new performance package name, when a 9yr old could've easily done just that. All they needed to do was go spend $15 on cookies, hit up the local elementary school and poll the students But whatever, they didn't show @ SEMA, so maybe they took our advice on not bothering to release the car. It's pretty safe to say they got quite a bit of bad press over this just from us alone.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Launching!

Well I guess its more like this....

SLP made too many extra Firehawk stickers and we take care of our cars, so we didnt need to purchase more stickers from them.

God forbid they tossed the extra stickers in the trash....NAHHHH we'll just stick em on something else with wheels and see if anyone notices.

SLP if we buy the rest of your sticker inventory, would you NOT toss our pride onto the G8?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Teching In

I agree with most everyone on here,leave the FIREHAWK name with the FIREBIRD period.Why not paint a g8 black with gold stripes and label it a bandit special edition and ruin another excellent car!!!!

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss