Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
Tony, you know I love this place, but it is well known in the Aftermarket Automotive community that is not the place to do R&D on new vehicles/new vehicle items.

We used a more traditional means including a few past Firehawk owners that had no issues with the name being used as well other methods that we have used for the past 18 years of building niche vehicles.

-David
Wow, this sort of "market research" mentality is exactly why GM and Ford are in the crapper right now and things keep getting worse for them. Naming a car something just to "keep the name alive" is a horrible reason for doing so, especially when there is no relation between the name and car.

And seriously:

"Firebird -> Firehawk" says nasty Firebird

"G8 -> Firehawk" has absolutely no meaning, degrades the value and name of actual Firehawks, and just doesn't make any sense at all.

You could have come up with about 20,000 other kickass names for a suped up version of a G8 that would have made everyone go "DAMN, that KICKS *** and I can't wait to buy one!!!". But as you can see, all you're getting response-wise from this is either the "I don't care either way" from some of the current Firehawk owners it seems you talked to, or the "That's a terrible idea" responses that are now plastered all over the internet and that I've heard from everyone I've talked to.

You should seriously reconsider naming this car a "Firehawk". It is a very bad idea.

Joe

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 09-24-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David, Can we ditch the two tone as an option? I REALLY rather dislike that color scheme... Oh, and Jalopnik commenter snap decision: Nice, but needs moar hood vinyl.

Looking forward to it still.

Anyone want to assault me for approving do so by PM, There are more than enough useless comments in this thread already.

Last edited by Nine Ball; 09-24-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What's next...a Mustang Firehawk?...or Challenger Firehawk....Camaro Firehawk?

Last edited by HOSS99; 09-24-2008 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Nine ball made a good point
Old 09-24-2008, 04:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Guys, keep this respectful and give us mature replies please. If any of you get out of hand, we will have no problem banning you. I've been told some of you guys are just anti-SLP trolls, and we will not tolerate your behavior here.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to say a sincere thanks Dave H. As an original owner of an 02 Formula Firehawk, I think its great that the name has been reborn. I too would have like to see a 5th gen Firebird, but obviously that isn't going to happen. I'm glad SLP is back with Dave on board and starting to pump out some really cool stuff again.

Maybe someone will actually know what a Firehawk is once the name comes out again...I won't have to field questions from everyone, including other F-Body people on what the heck am I driving..

Thanks again Dave, can't wait to see the finished product and give you some more of my business.

-Phil
Old 09-24-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are the same exchange rules going to go into effect again?

Meaning, with the 99-02 Firehawks you had to send back your damaged hood to SLP before a replacement could be sent to the owner. So as to keep down the "cloning" aspect of these cars. Would the SLP specific body panels (or wheels) be dealt with in such a way for the G8 "Firehawk"?

Plus is the hood design going to be different from the G8 as it is now. From the pic it looks the same to me?

Not interested at all in getting one...just some questions that entered my mind in the past few days.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Guys, keep this respectful and give us mature replies please. If any of you get out of hand, we will have no problem banning you. I've been told some of you guys are just anti-SLP trolls, and we will not tolerate your behavior here.
Some people call those with differing viewpoints "trolls".

BTW - If I may ask...what happened to my on topic post in response to Daves reasoning behind not using the GTX name?

My comment brought up the fact that Chevrolet had a Baretta GTU and Mazda had a RX7 GTU? What is the problem with the GTX name?
Old 09-24-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My only question is the brochure states that V6, as an option. This will be named firehawk as well??? I really am not surprised since GM went and put "SS" Badges on almost every vehicle they offer now. Sigh
Old 09-24-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MMMM_ERT
Mazda had a RX7 GTU? What is the problem with the GTX name?
Castrol "GTX" is a registered name brand, not GTU, ...
Come on troll, wise up! (It's a joke between us, ..., don't ban me, ...)
Old 09-24-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let's take a different approach for a second:

I've said my say, and although I am no longer an FAOA member, how will this affect membership/registration?

How long will parts be available.....since many of the original Firehawk replacement parts are now history and unavailable.

Best wishes on the launching on your next project SLP.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:51 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by MMMM_ERT
Some people call those with differing viewpoints "trolls".

BTW - If I may ask...what happened to my on topic post in response to Daves reasoning behind not using the GTX name?

What is the problem with the GTX name?
I can see why you only have 7 posts here, they seem pretty ignorant. Asking Dave for a reason why he didn't use "GTX" makes just as much sense as asking him why he didn't call it the "G8 Macaroni". There are 1000s of acronyms and words out there that could have been chosen, do you need an explanation for why they didn't use each and every one of those too?

The main issue is why they chose to use "Firehawk", and this thread is basically gathering feedback on that decision.

Please quit posting in this thread, I already know about your childish history on previous sites. We will not tolerate that BS here.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I can see why you only have 7 posts here, they seem pretty ignorant. Asking Dave for a reason why he didn't use "GTX" makes just as much sense as asking him why he didn't call it the "G8 Macaroni". There are 1000s of acronyms and words out there that could have been chosen, do you need an explanation for why they didn't use each and every one of those too?

The main issue is why they chose to use "Firehawk", and this thread is basically gathering feedback on that decision.

Please quit posting in this thread, I already know about your childish history on previous sites. We will not tolerate that BS here.
LOL....I have done nothing wrong here. I guess asking questions and having an opinion (apparently the wrong one) is a bad thing. Same crap as the old SLP board.

As for 7 posts...It seems my old posts are gone...I have been a member here for 6 years.

Feel free to remove my account. I have no use for this site anyway.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Feel free to remove my account. I have no use for this site anyway.
As you request.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

SLP ruined a great opportunity to be the AMG or SRT of GM...

SLP G8 would have instilled all the same emotions/passions of the firehawk without offending or alienating a large community. (Provided the package is designed and executed well)

Also previous firehawk/fourth gen owners are the PERFECT demographic for the vehicle. I've previously owned four fourth gens and a corvette, modded to the hilt and now with wife and kids drive an SRT8...An SLP G8 or GXP would have been high on the list for consideration...

Last edited by CHRISPY; 09-24-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Snapps
My only question is the brochure states that V6, as an option. This will be named firehawk as well??? I really am not surprised since GM went and put "SS" Badges on almost every vehicle they offer now. Sigh
What's wrong with a V6? You have a problem with Grand National's and Turbo TA's? Nobody knows what's being done with them as of yet. A blown V6 would easily put down 400hp.

As for the SS, I'm sure you know about those power house SS's of the '60's? You know, the 6cyl SS cars. Only a relative few SS's were high compression, solid lifter big blocks. Funny how the new SS cars would run circles around the original SS cars save for a few high performance models of a couple of years. The SS cars of today are actually performance upgrades whereas most SS cars back then were a style option that could get you the performance options.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unfortuntly money is the root of all evil. In the automotive industry, it means that a name sells, even if it doesn't have the same goods to back it up. I feel that a V6 Camaro or Mustang isn't the right thing to do, but Detriot sells the heck out of them. Now how many people think that if the Camaro would have come out in a V6 version instead of a V8 that it would have the history it does? So far GM has only done one vehicle right, the corvette. Its had some good years and some bad ones, but it always packed a V8, and its always been associated with speed. People hear the name corvette and instantly think of a fast car.

We just bought a SS HHR and I was really skeptacal at first, but after a test drive it was a little quick for a 4 door, and to be honest if it had been a more expensive than a grand more for the SS over a basic leather HHR, we would have just gotten the basic. Why? Because theres nothing really that exciting about it. When people ask what cars I have now and I tell them I have a SS I feel like I need to point out that it is a Camaro SS. I feel like the SS has recently been put on so much junk, that I need to specify that my SS is a Camaro and it is a respectable SS.

I think SLP needs to think about there signature cars and ponder wheather they want the firehawk name to be a respected name that people will hear and accociate it with speed or do they want it to become another Fbody/Mustang or SS. I say stick with what got ya here, just like GM has done with the corvette. I V6 version is not going to help the respect of your business, especially with those that have been your main customers, those in the LS community.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

strange... on one hand I think to myself that when Dodge used the IROC name on its Daytona it was a joke to me.. that car was undeserving. But what if it was put on a Charger, instead of the SRT8? Would I have been more acceptingof the use of the IROC name? (btw, I had an IROC-Z, there's the relevance.)

The G8 is an awsome performance sedan, especially considering the performance/luxury/value..

Then I think well the "SuperSport" moniker has been stuck on everything?? I have a SuperSport that I believe is befitting the name... But they stuck that on the HHR and Cobalt?? but stopped short of using it on the Equinox?? I don't think it detracts too much from the "real" SS's by using it on the 4cylinder vehicles? I just can't get the thought of a V8 only SS out of my head lol.. Maybe because the FireHawk hasn't been put on anything else yet besides the Firebird is why it's a sore subject? Who the hell knows? Maybe after the G8 is gone, the next use of the Firehawk name wil make it blend in better? I vote for undecided.. but leaning towards the "I don't like the name, but love the idea" view myself....
Old 09-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
Another current Firehawk owner just emailed me and here was my response, which I hope current Firehawk owners can accept:
Why does it have to be named a Firehawk? Blasphemy. Call it something else.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

Damn, this sucks. Yeah they seriously could have thought of a better name.
How could they use it to prevent "Firehawk" from "dying?" Z28's aren't produced anymore and NO ONE will forget that model.

Could that devalue everyone's Firehawk's in a sense? For example, if a car is put out of production it may gain in value. Firehawk's are rare, even their WHEELS are, but if the Firehawk name comes back onto the lot will it just be as common as a Firebird?

Old 09-25-2008, 06:05 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
strange... on one hand I think to myself that when Dodge used the IROC name on its Daytona it was a joke to me.. that car was undeserving. But what if it was put on a Charger, instead of the SRT8? Would I have been more acceptingof the use of the IROC name? (btw, I had an IROC-Z, there's the relevance.)
The base IROC Daytona, I will give you that. But the IROC R/T was something nice. I had a 92 Spirit R/T and it ran 14.4@100 the only time I had it to the track back in 93. The Daytona's ran a tenth better because of aerodynamics, 2 door coupe vs. 4 door brick. Look at the times back then and you'll see it running neck and neck with a 350 Z28. My Spirit would give my buddies then new 93 Z28 fits. I could beat him to 100mph from a 5mph roll. Coming out of the hole was hit or miss depending on the launch. He had a 6spd with 3.23 gears also.

Either way, the name is deserving as its going to be a performer like the old Firehawks. Firehawks were a tire, that's what it was/is. SLP used Firehawk and Comp TA because of the tires it was riding on...

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss