Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008 | 08:05 PM
Launching!

I'm still trying to figure out who the target demographic is for these and didn't feel like reading every response to see if it has been revealed. Has it been stated yet or not?
Old 09-23-2008 | 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly....

I think it will die a miserable sales death, just like with every other watered down model that sported an iconic image moniker has done in the past...

Shall we review? Not that it is really necessary because the marketing gurus that come up with these stupid ideas don't ever really learn from history's mistakes anyway....

Fabulous examples:
Dodge Charger....circa mid 80's
Chevy Nova......circa 84
Ford Mustang II.....mid 70's
...I'm not even going to bother looking up others as I'm too tired

At least Dodge got smart and used the Charger name on the latest LX. But, that car has aggressive styling and decent engine packages to match.

I hate to say it, but the G8 styling is just too much of a yawn provoker to think that slapping it with a killer drivetrain is going to pack people into the dealerships. Can you say Omni GLHS? 04+ GTO's?

Either way, good luck!
Old 09-23-2008 | 08:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MMMM_ERT
What an epic fail. Another badge whored out....
If you dont like it, that just about locks it in as a success.

Old 09-23-2008 | 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SonicBoom
I'm still trying to figure out who the target demographic is for these and didn't feel like reading every response to see if it has been revealed. Has it been stated yet or not?
SLP THINKS that it is targeted towards those who consider buying cars like the M5, AMG Mercedes, the CTS-V sort of crowd. What they DONT realize is that as impressive as the numbers are on this car, it will be viewed as a complete joke when they read the badge "Firehawk" on the door. How can you compete with such high class automobiles with a badge that was only ever reserved for a completely different car. Seriously, the Firebird and G8 are complete opposites. Change the name and you WILL sell more.

I'm telling you, SLP...listen to what all of us who are telling you "NO NO NO IN THE NAME OF GOD NOOOOO!!!" Trust me everybody on this forum is the most reliable advice you will ever receive...the consumers. We tell it as it is: Disaster
Old 09-23-2008 | 08:14 PM
Launching!

As a Firehawk owner, I have to admit, my first reaction was "WHAT!".. but then I thought about it and understood why they went this direction.

Sad as it is, there will be no new Firebird. No Firebird means no reincarnation of a coupe Firehawk. Once you accept that, it makes total sense from a business perspective why SLP chose to use "Firehawk" again.

Brand recognition.

Most of the internet warriors (yeah I'm talking to YOU) wont bother thinking about it past that. Even funnier are those who dont even own Firehawks. If you dont own a Firehawk, then STFU. You have NOTHING to complain about.

Bottom line, if they deliver a solid package, then it's true to its heritage. kick *** Pontiac performance.
Old 09-23-2008 | 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Don't do it for gods sake and for us!
Old 09-23-2008 | 08:19 PM
Teching In

I don't post on here much but I have a question for all of you that are so upset about the name being used.

Where where you when GM needed to sell cars to keep the Firebird alive? Ford didn't seem to have much trouble finding buyers for the Mustang. So where was all the f-body fans hiding?

Just as he said Firehawk is a trade mark of SLP, to you it may have meant nothing but higher performane Firebird, To SLP it means thousands of man hours and probably hundreds of thousands of dollars to cultivate a following. Why should they allow all that time and money to die beside the road just because a few F-body owners think they know how to best run a company they don't own? You had your say when bought your car and since it seems the majority of the people posting never even owned a firehawk, it tells me you did nothing to help then and your not doing anything to help now.

Regardless of what the f-body as a community think the name of the firehawk should be, it's SLP who will ultimatly determine it.
Old 09-23-2008 | 08:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChrisL
If you dont like it, that just about locks it in as a success.

Like the Cava....err...GTO?

I only came over here to see the response to this. It looks as clear as my Pella windows.

I believe everyone agrees...SLP is applauded for making a performance package...the name however is all wrong. Big time wrong.

My opinion means squat on this anyway...my GM purchasing days have been forever retired.

Carry on...
Old 09-23-2008 | 08:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS-Six
SLP THINKS that it is targeted towards those who consider buying cars like the M5, AMG Mercedes, the CTS-V sort of crowd. What they DONT realize is that as impressive as the numbers are on this car, it will be viewed as a complete joke when they read the badge "Firehawk" on the door. How can you compete with such high class automobiles with a badge that was only ever reserved for a completely different car. Seriously, the Firebird and G8 are complete opposites. Change the name and you WILL sell more.

I'm telling you, SLP...listen to what all of us who are telling you "NO NO NO IN THE NAME OF GOD NOOOOO!!!" Trust me everybody on this forum is the most reliable advice you will ever receive...the consumers. We tell it as it is: Disaster

Wow, I seriously hope that isn't really the demographic they have in mind. I'm already in line for the AMG C63 and, in all honesty, there is no way I would even consider buying a "Firehawk" G8 instead. Personally, the "Firehawk" G8 looks a little too stickered-up and slightly boy-racer for my taste (especially for that price range). Also, I agree 100% with the rest of what you are saying.

Last edited by SonicBoom; 09-23-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2008 | 08:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS-Six
SLP THINKS that it is targeted towards those who consider buying cars like the M5, AMG Mercedes, the CTS-V sort of crowd. What they DONT realize is that as impressive as the numbers are on this car, it will be viewed as a complete joke when they read the badge "Firehawk" on the door.
Even without the "Firehawk" badge...the G8 is not on the short list for perspective BMW or Mercedes buyers... M cars..or AMG...you've got to be kidding?
Old 09-23-2008 | 08:42 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Ehh, my next four door sedan will be a 'v' series cadillac. I'd rather have something classy that doesn't scream "hey, I'm stuck in my early twenties" like a sedan badged a Firehawk.

Thanks, I'll take my $50k and spend it elsewhere.
Old 09-23-2008 | 09:00 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I can't believe people are still whining about GM and Pontiac forcing SLP to do this. They have nothing to do with it, and if you would have been following this thread, you'd understand that.

With that said, part of what GM wanted to conquer import (Asian and European) buyers with the GTO. They did - but not because it was a GTO or a Pontiac. It was because the GTO was as un-GM/American as you could get for the price/performance. GM missed a small detail - they won't buy another GM product. They will be moving on to bigger and better (M, AMG, S, etc). They have no brand loyalty and only like the GTO because it was made in Australia.

The same GTO owners hate the new Camaro. They hate everything it's associated with - especially its past. One could say "well, the GTO has a dirt-bag past", but most of the GTO owners weren't paying attention (or born) in 1974 when the last GTO was produced. Camaro to these owners equals white trash. On the other hand, they love the G8. They think it's so great and is the next evolution of the GTO. Ironically, none want to admit that the Camaro is a 2 door G8 that will run circles around the GTO in each and every imaginable way. This ignorance will hinder them from even considering the Camaro. Many know what a Firehawk is and associate it with the obvious - the Firebird. The dirty redneck cousin to the white trash Camaro. We on LS1tech appreciate the name. The targeted audience may not. Not all brand equity may work in your favor.

This is just another crazy thing I thought of.
Old 09-23-2008 | 09:07 PM
Launching!

Dave, the Firehawk name should be left to die with our beloved F-Body. Why not simply call it the "SLP Edition" G8? You could even use some marketing tie ins like: "From the days of the "Firehawk" comes the new SLP Edition G8. With the performance lineage of the "Firehawk" line of vehicles, available through Pontiac dealerships, comes the new era of performance vehicle. Hold on this ride going to be a fast one!!!" Ok Dave the first one is free, the rest will cost you.

Shawn
Old 09-23-2008 | 09:58 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Funny, funny thread. Who cares? If you don't like it, don't buy it. You probably wouldn't have bought it anyway and just bitch about it no matter what the name.

Good luck to SLP.
Old 09-23-2008 | 10:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MMMM_ERT
Even without the "Firehawk" badge...the G8 is not on the short list for perspective BMW or Mercedes buyers... M cars..or AMG...you've got to be kidding?
Exactly. Just about the last name you'd think of when you think "high class" is Pontiac. No middle aged upper class individual is going to buy a G8, Firehawk or otherwise. They'll be looking for a car for status, Pontiac will never fit that market.

Junk the project before it goes down in flames. As someone else said, dealers are quick to show interest and drool over the new products...and what happens to most? They're overstocked beyond recognition and can't be given away. This should be called the MK II GTO, or maybe code named "Titanic".
Old 09-23-2008 | 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

love the car, hate the name.

as a Firehawk owner, the first time someone comes up to me and says 'i have a firehawk too' and as i begin to discuss performance parts and 1/4mi times with him, he states that he has no idea what i'm talking about and then pulls up in his sedan... i'll just know that my car will not feel as special to me as it always has.

please Dave, its not over till its over... keep the car, but change the name to GTX and you'll turn a whole shitload of frowns upside down
Old 09-24-2008 | 04:49 AM
Teching In

I have no vested intrest in the Firehawk name. And it is too bad this is a "done deal." The badging is horrible and dated (and makes no sense). Anyone considering a M3 will not be impressed with the decals and won't waste their time with some WD40 & a blow dryer to remove them.

I love the concept of the car itself and I would consider one (debadged), but more than likely it will be more cost effective to supercharge one myself.
Old 09-24-2008 | 07:53 AM
On The Tree

This car can't play with the crowd they are targeting anyway. I was at a Pontiac/Buick show at a local dealer(who stocks about 10-12 F-body's at any one time), and got to look in a top model G8. For 32k you get a car that has an interior sub-par of even a GTO(granted I like the GTO interiors). The seats looked less comfortable than my f-body, and more plastic was used than in a lego set. Good luck marketing that to anyone considering a higher end car. No matter what you call it, it will not measure up to those cars. Pricing will be the only way these will sell, and I don't see these selling cheap.
Old 09-24-2008 | 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99sleeper
I love the concept of the car itself and I would consider one (debadged), but more than likely it will be more cost effective to supercharge one myself.
while it would be more cost effective to supercharge it yourself, i think the key thing about the SLP cars is that they retain factory warranty.

and another comment on my beef with the name. having the word 'hawk' in the name implies that its a bird... one of great power. the 'fire bird' being the phoenix, which is what the 'screaming chicken' actually is. if the G8 isnt capable of sporting the screaming chicken because its not a firebird, how can it be a firehawk

Last edited by slayer_taunu; 09-24-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-24-2008 | 09:45 AM
On The Tree

i will never spend anouther cent with SLP i can promase you that.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss