Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
DAVID maybe you should read what I WROTE a little better. I said that ALL Firehawks (I guess I have to say all F-Body Firehawks now! ) went to SLP for modification but that I am willing to bet that ALL G8 firehawks wont. That if you would sell out the name to the point of putting it on a V6 car that I wouldnt put it past you letting Pontiac put stickers and wheels on a standard assembly line produced G8 and call it a FIREHAWK.

And PLLLEEEEEAAAASSSSSE tell us all about the pavment pounding performance the V6 firehawk G8 will offer...I missed that in my rereading of the brochure.
Stop being ludicrous. GM would never install aftermarket decals on the production line. If it was just something as simple as stickers, the stickers would be sent to the ordering dealer seperate from the car and installed during the PDI process. Since these cars have performance items being installed, they will most likely be shipped to an SLP facility for the mods to be installed. End of story and end of your idiotic speculation.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

The Saleen Explorer and Shelby Omni/dakota truck. LOL
Old 09-22-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could have called it the bannshe since they never ended up using the name, now that would be cool

http://www.gantless.com/images/banshee.jpg

Last edited by slick1851; 09-22-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
Wrong, Our number one selling product is a Mustang item. The F-body market is small in comparison the the Mustang and Dodge markets. We still do well with the F-Body items, but the Mustang items outsell them.

Regards,

David
Wow, first the old Firehawk owners dont matter... And now all Fbody owners dont matter either compared to the rest? Cool.... This just keeps getting better and better

That smell must be burning bridges....
Old 09-22-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
Wow, first the old Firehawk owners dont matter... And now all Fbody owners dont matter either compared to the rest? Cool.... This just keeps getting better and better

That smell must be burning bridges....

Now you're just putting words into his mouth. He didn't say or imply that F-body owners don't matter. He stated a fact that Mustang parts outsell F0body parts for SLP.

Some of you all are just being plain idiotic with your comments. I do not agree with SLP slapping the Firehawk name on the G8 but the comments like the one above are laughably retarded.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

As a former f-body owner (had to dump it for a more "family oriented" vehicle), and a lifetime Firebird enthusiast, I'll give my 2 cents:

1. SLP is a business. ANY business, no matter what industry they are in, exists to make money. Firehawk is a trademarked name of SLP, and belongs to them, and ONLY them. They are free to use it however they choose, and in this case, they saw a financial advantage in calling the new vehicle a Firehawk rather than something else. If you owned a business, and were in the same situation, you would make a decision that was best for your business (especially one that is probably facing many challenges with gas prices as high as they are). You cannot expect SLP to cater to the whims of a group of owners of past Firehawks. Just because you own one doesn't give you ownership of the brand or any special rights to determine future use of the trademark. It is the same as GM making a new Camaro (which is really a completely new vehicle, not based on any previous Camaro, that really only has styling cues to try and bring a connection between the new and old Camaros).

2. A lot of people here have been bashing Dave Hamburger, like he owes them something because they own a Firehawk, or like he is turning his back on Firehawk owners. No one mentions all the websites out there that have detailed Firehawk/SS build info (courtesy of SLP- and last I heard it was free). I see he is a sponsor of this website, that enthusiasts like you and me use for FREE. So SLP is showing its thanks to enthusiasts in many ways (which is also a smart business idea for them). Would you like him to come to your house and mow your lawn or something too? Thats great that you have a strong emotional tie to your vehicle, but don't think SLP owes you anything for that, especially if it gets in the way of their business.

3. All that withstanding, I personally don't see the connection between G8 and Firehawk. The name "Firehawk", to me, seemed like a natural extension of "Firebird". But, who cares? I definitely don't think it would take anything away from my vehicle if I owned a Firehawk (which I one day plan to- the Firebird version).
Old 09-22-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

on the (FIREHAWK) G8 thats all i can say. I think everyone else has said it for me
Old 09-22-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Morpheus
Now you're just putting words into his mouth. He didn't say or imply that F-body owners don't matter. He stated a fact that Mustang parts outsell F0body parts for SLP.

Some of you all are just being plain idiotic with your comments. I do not agree with SLP slapping the Firehawk name on the G8 but the comments like the one above are laughably retarded.
No, he dident.... But is comparing us to the Dodge guys and the Ford guys based on what we buy the right way to handle this situation? I dont think so..

Maybe I was putting words in his mouth, I apologise if anyone thinks so.... But thats what that comment says to me, and I dont think the situation needs to be based on who buys how much.. Thats just idiotic aswell..

Again, my .02

EDIT : And for all those who are about to bring up the fact that I have a Firehawk, yes I do... But I would feel the SAME way if I had the 99 TA and ONLY the 99 TA. Same deal, has nothing to do with "being owed anything"... I just think its a plain terrible idea.... Not bashing, just dont like it.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bbfirebird
2. A lot of people here have been bashing Dave Hamburger, like he owes them something because they own a Firehawk, or like he is turning his back on Firehawk owners. No one mentions all the websites out there that have detailed Firehawk/SS build info (courtesy of SLP- and last I heard it was free). I see he is a sponsor of this website, that enthusiasts like you and me use for FREE. So SLP is showing its thanks to enthusiasts in many ways (which is also a smart business idea for them). Would you like him to come to your house and mow your lawn or something too? Thats great that you have a strong emotional tie to your vehicle, but don't think SLP owes you anything for that, especially if it gets in the way of their business.
I think this is where your statement is completely wrong. SLP DOES owe the enthusiasts something in return. Without the people who purchased their modified vehicles, there would be no SLP right now. Without the positive word of mouth from the people who own these cars, there would be NO SLP right now.

SLP does owe it to the people who made them a positive force in the f-body community. They need to respect the Firehawk name and leave it be.

I'm not trying to bash SLP in any form here, but there needs to be some recognition as to what they are doing.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Teching In

"While Hamburger insists overall reaction to the G8 Firehawk has been positive, there has been some vocal opposition from previous-generation Firehawk owners who don't want to see the nameplate on anything but a Firebird. Hamburger has announced SLP has already finalized plans to go ahead with the G8 Firehawk, so the company obviously feels the car will be successful despite the criticisms. "

from http://wot.motortrend.com/6299946/af...ema/index.html
Old 09-22-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

we'll see how long this thread stays up:

http://messageboard.firehawk.org/viewtopic.php?t=9052
Old 09-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Banned

Wink

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
As a current Firehawk owner, I can't say I'm pleased to see the name added to a 4-door sedan. Firehawk should only be for Firebirds, period. I'd rather have seen a new model name introduced.

Tony

Old 09-22-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Supercharged 6.3 mabe? Probably be the CTS-V motor.

Firehawk V6 thats just stupid.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Why call it a Firehawk? That has nothing to do with the G8 name.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sad...

to me the firehawk name died in 2002. i am with the masses on this one, the firehawk nameplate belongs on an firebird...End of Story

sigh...
Old 09-22-2008, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Second, you obviously can't read well as the brochure talks about Pavement Pounding Performance and then in the last line our "SC" Supercharged version is mentioned. The new Firehawk is far from an appearance package.

Regards,

David
look man this kinda upset me alot. i dont think you are realizing that we are upset about the NAME. thats fine if it has a million horsepower and can fly or what ever. its still not a firehawk. it shows me SLP really doesent have any regaurd for the people that buy them. if ford makes more sales then go make the ford guys happy and make there mustang the firehawk, i think that would be the only bigger slap in the face.

i dont own a Firehawk either, i have a ws6 but everytime i see a firehawk i get that shock an awe feeling. " its a firehawk, hell yeah"

ill say again by what u said makes me think that u dont give a **** about what any of us think

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 09-22-2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: For missing quote [quote] . . . .
Old 09-22-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

why did people think the name firehawk would die? did the name trans am die? did the name firebird die? did the name GTO ever die? did the name camaro ever really die?

the edsel is a name that died. for a name to trully 'die', it means people dont know what it means/is anymore. some people know what an edsel is. but ask anyone on the street, and 99 out of 100 will know what a trans am is, camaro is, even GTO is. granted the firehawk name is more well know within the f-body circle, but like the classic GTO, it will never die. anyone who is into f-bodies or pontiacs for that matter will know what a firehawk is. it is through them that the name, image, and cars will live forever.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...talk about dragging a name through the dirt. I can understand not wanting to let a name die, but you are SLAUGHTERING it by slapping it on THAT car.

This is what happens when marketing is out of touch with the true enthusiast. I also have a hard time believing "pavement pounding performance" coming from the same company that marketed an 85mm MAF sensor that was specially "calibrated" by soldering in a resistor, and didn't provide the appropriate PCM table to back it up.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Whatever marketing genius that though firehawk would be a good name to slap on a G8 should be fired; that's about all I have to say about that.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Default Bad-4-Biz

Dave,
I fully understand this move in an attempt to recapture the target market. However, I do feel obligated to offer my two cents as I have owned both a Trans Am and a Firehawk (Though personally enjoyed the Trans Am more). I do feel somewhat biased, though I do not intend on letting that take over my opinion.

I feel that there have been many good points made among ranting and raving ls1tech crowd...

1. The Firehawk name (and badge) is synonymous with Firebirds among the entire car community.

However, outsiders may not yet understand this. Therefore, by applying it to another car, one that still exists, you can spread the "knowledge" in hopes of increasing sales, use and enjoyment of your products. Except that outsiders will still not understand the name Firehawk as we do. In the end, previous/current/future Firehawk (F-Body variant) owners feel like the cars have been cheapened. I feel that there was a big opportunity to build on SLP's line by adding a new name, one from which an amazing legacy could be built.

2. SLP was built on the support from us, the individuals, who passionately desired to have THE top of the line F-Bodies.

However, SLP would not exist today if it weren't for the latest Mustang, Charger, F-150, etc. As well as other GM involvments, ie. Corvette, Sierra, Silverado, etc. SLP has had to expand to survive. Although, most F-Body loyalists are probably angry to see such a diversity of performance parts for other brand names. I personally see this as another expansion. SLP is targeting more customers in other areas in order to survive these fuel woes.
Therefore, from a business standpoint, I understand.

3. ls1tech.com is a MAJOR resource of great advice on what we (as aftermarket parts enthusiasts) want to see in the future for our cars. Simple polls among the forums are a great way to determine what WE will buy.

However, WE are only one group you are aiming at, when there is a whole world out there to sell to. I do, however, expect a greater attempt at satisfying OUR dreams with the new Camaro. WE are not excited about the G8 Firehawk. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get us excited about the (theoretically) upcoming SLP Camaro.

In the end, I'm disappointed with the decision. However, I doubt I will buy a G8 as I am only 23 and single. I am not your target group. Still, I will consider the SLP Camaro in the future. That is, if you follow through and bring us an amazing performance car, far better than the best GM offers off the line.

PS. Please change the script at least... That G8's sharp lines are nothing like the swoops of a Firebird. It looks rediculous.

Thanks for the years of commitment and best of luck,

Jeremy

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss